Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 2006 VCSCR and I am finding parts that fit everything but the Street Rod and the Muscle. Looking for handlebars and potentially a kit to add a RoadGlide fairing. I am having no luck. The price on the bike is great, but unless I know I can make changes without breaking the bank, I:m probably going to pass on the deal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are looking for a 300 mile cruiser you might want to go a different route. These bike are fun but i wouldn't take them cross country.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,138 Posts
Imho, a fairing would be difficult, unusual looking, and probably detract from the lines of the bike-- the R isn't your average V-Rod and what looks good on a "regular" VRSC might not be aesthetically pleasing on an R.

As far as bars, there *used* to be a reduced-reach kit from V-Mod years ago, but they're long gone. The only other two options I remember are a) putting 2007 bars on a 2006 (which gave a small bit reduced reach and moved the mirrors out past your shoulders) or potentially putting XL1200N Nightster bars on it.

Either option required new clutch and brake lines.

R.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you are looking for a 300 mile cruiser you might want to go a different route. These bike are fun but i wouldn't take them cross country.
I’ve done multiple days at 700mi/day on my R, though I can do saddle sore runs easily on my X for comparison.

As far as parts for the R your going to have to get uber creative, lucky in some cases, and start making a bunch of friend. The R is a difficult beast to customize

·
Asatruar
2,914 Posts
CPTJAM did it with his Street Rod,but as others have pointed out it will not be an easy thing.:hidesbeh:

·
Asatruar
2,914 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Good Luck on Your Mission

I am looking to buy a 2006 VCSCR and I am finding parts that fit everything but the Street Rod and the Muscle. Looking for handlebars and potentially a kit to add a RoadGlide fairing. I am having no luck. The price on the bike is great, but unless I know I can make changes without breaking the bank, I:m probably going to pass on the deal.
Since the discontinuation of the V-Rod model the reality is that OEM H-D parts and also aftermarket parts have been slowly becoming more and more hard to find. And it's not going to get better. H-D is just not making any more. Dealers were hard to work with even when the V-Rod was current, never stocking basic items and many never having accessories in stock ever. Now they just tell you "discontinued". You can try the official line that by policy and government regulations they're supposed to have stock items for another 10 years but you'll just get a dumb stare and the "discontinued" line again. Most aftermarket manufacturers have stopped producing accessories because the demand is no longer there. You might be lucky and find leftovers on the shelf.

·
The Hawk
3,763 Posts

·
Asatruar
2,914 Posts
:notworth:Ok, seems you may have knowledge that I don't.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The Street Rod is a great platform. I can go 500 daily miles. For a fairing, I used a Bob Dron unit, easy to fabricate mounts from 1/4" aluminum strap. The seat you use with an Airhawk, best comfort investment I made. Bars can be any 1" unit, you need to drill the holes in the top triple tee out to 1/2" and any Harley riser will work with any bars. Probably need longer lines, but these are easy to fabricate from either stainless braided or Goodrich micro lines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the feedback

After doing a few hours of research on aftermarket parts, I am going to pass on the deal. If any of you want a great deal on a 2006 VRSCR with 46k on it's $3,000 and it's in Arizona.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2003 100th Anniversary V Rod for Sale

I bought my V Rod new, I am the only owner, never been parked outside my garage. 12,000 original miles, runs great. Tires recently replaced. No scratches. I am 70 years old with back problems, reason for selling. Just text me a 972-567-6264 if you would like more info and photos. Thanks much!! Steve

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't believe the bullshitters f the ergos works for you there are more then a couple that made the transition to roadglide on the R. Im in maryland and have done tail of the dragon, and as much as 3k in a week. The last long trip was through Pennsylvania. ( poor bastards have the worst roads ) but beautiful state. 1500 miles limited because of road construction, closures and redirects to literally logging roads. Want to have fun listen 4 old bastards bitch and moan while on 700-900 lb biekes negotiate logging roads.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,796 Posts
It is available! I spent WAY TOO MUCH! That said, I did it. Runs great, and I do 700 mile days easily. PM me to discuss. Joe

·
Premium Member
10,796 Posts
PM Sent!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts