Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, hope all are well. Has anyone actually installed a aftermarket fuel gauge/sending unit yet? I saw threads where people talked about doing it but wanted to see if anyone actually did this install on the F yet? At this point I just reset my damn trip meter every time I gas up- I go about 100 miles then fill up. I ride it pretty hard in the mountains (higher rpm's) etc. so don't want to run out of fuel on top of hills. Just tired messing with the stock gauge- imho that is a pretty shitty design with subpar functionality.

Wanted to see if there is a more accurate/viable solution with an aftermarket setup? Not trying to re-invent the wheel completely.. just thought there might be a better option out there. If not I'm about to start exploring or at least try something else.

Thanks guys! 馃憤馃憤馃憤

Registered
Use your tripometer like you mentioned OR just buy a replacement fuel level sending unit. I find them on Ebay often and they are an hour max to change out (make sure you get a replacement flange o-ring for the assembly "lid", they are ALWAYS stretched out (and special order at the dealer of course).

I am on my second one on my 09, but it's been doing the trick for almost 10 years.

Departed the Fix.
Also-- try running Seafoam through the tank occasionally. I've replaced the fuel sending unit with the "new" one, and it still very occasionally goes wacky.

Seafoam seems to do the trick (sort of preventative maintenance?) in unsticking the widgets in the tank.

R.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts