Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys:
I have done a good long search, changed my wording and descriptions and still didn't find what I was looking for. I have a 2006 VRSCD. I have had D&D slip ons on this bike for well over 2 or 3 years with no problems. About a year or two ago I replaced the OEM shocks for some YSS Racing shocks. While trying to remove the right side lower shock bolt, the bolt stripped and we had to drill it out. Since I didn't have an OEM bolt with me, we took a ride to Hone depot and bought a bolt that was the same length, just wasn't a pan head bolt. In any event I rode like this for a while with no problkems. About 2 weeks ago I noticed the bike is making funny noises while I am on the street. When I get her home I noticed that the bolt is dangerously close to the exhaust and has been rubbing, I can feel the slightest rub and lost chrome there. Why after 2 years would this start to happen? Has anyone else experienced this or something like it? Another member here tells me he vaguely remembers a thread like this and that flat washers were used to space the exhaust away, but again, I didn't find a thing. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Can you post up some pics?

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rod:
I tried getting shots with the flash on and off. Unfortunately its getting chilly here in NYC so I had to take the shots in my garage and the bike is FILTHY, so bear with me. In two of the shots you might even see the rub spots. The bolt looks further away than it really is, so don't let the pics fool you. Let me know what you think?

Yarvis

Attachments

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
The first pic.

The bolt is sticking out far enough to rub the exhaust.

So then, are those 2 spacers? 1 on each side of the shock or 1 solid all the way through the eye of the shock?

If they are 2 then I would remove the otter spacer and cut the bolt down to length so not to rub the other side. I might even have a bolt out in the garage you can have to try.

put a washer in where the spacer was removed.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Has the exhaust been removed and replaced recently? Possible it wasn't reinstalled with the shock bolt in mind. The service manual for installing the stock exhaust says to slip a 1/4" piece of wood between the pipes and the exhaust before tightening the bolts. Maybe you need to do something like this. Loosen up the exhaust bolts and realign it.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first pic.

The bolt is sticking out far enough to rub the exhaust.

So then, are those 2 spacers? 1 on each side of the shock or 1 solid all the way through the eye of the shock?

If they are 2 then I would remove the otter spacer and cut the bolt down to length so not to rub the other side. I might even have a bolt out in the garage you can have to try.

put a washer in where the spacer was removed.
Rod:
Thanks for your input. I find it a bit frustrating that I will need to do your suggestions when for the last 2 years or so, I had NO issues with the spacers and even with the temp bolt. The bolt in my pics is the OEM replacement bolt that I literally put back on this past Thursday at my friends house. He has an actual full size motorcycle lift were you don't have to lay on your back or the floor to work on.

Good eye by the way, they are indeed two spacers on either side of the shock. Not sure if they are from the stock shock or came with the YSS's. I was allowed to sit next to the mechanic and help him and no swipe to him, he did a GREAT install aside of stripping the original pan head OEM bolt.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has the exhaust been removed and replaced recently? Possible it wasn't reinstalled with the shock bolt in mind. The service manual for installing the stock exhaust says to slip a 1/4" piece of wood between the pipes and the exhaust before tightening the bolts. Maybe you need to do something like this. Loosen up the exhaust bolts and realign it.
The exhaust wasn't removed until this past Thursday when I placed the original OEM bolt back on. But now reading your post and what the service manual says, when I placed the exhaust back on, I should have followed that advice. It's actually a little further away than before, but STILL close for my taste. I'm a visual person and can't see in my head how or where to place that 1/4 inch piece of wood.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Rusty is correct. You coud have hit a pothole or bump in the road.

This might have been enough to me the exhaust.

Just becfause it is tight doen not mean it will not move on you.

Your call...

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
The exhaust wasn't removed until this past Thursday when I placed the original OEM bolt back on. But now reading your post and what the service manual says, when I placed the exhaust back on, I should have followed that advice. It's actually a little further away than before, but STILL close for my taste. I'm a visual person and can't see in my head how or where to place that 1/4 inch piece of wood.
I would loosen all bolts/nuts from the heads to the end of the exhaust. Slip a block of wood, whatever size you feel comfortable with, between the offending shock bolt the exhaust where it is hitting then tighten the exhaust starting from the front and working to the rear. Over the years vibration etc. may have caused the exhaust to slip a bit.
JMHO

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rusty and RSC:
Thanks for your help and advice. I will be heading to my friends lift in a few days.

Yarvis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts