Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys , i have a couple of probs ,but i think they may come from the same thing ,
1st im getting the no response from the diag ,yes i have the run switch on , and the pdash is not getting any info either ,

under C im getting u1016 ,which i cleared and fired up the bike again reved it up and the code was back again when i checked

the probs, im getting is the engine check light coming on at around the 4000 rpm mark higher when the engine is a bit cooler ,and lower when the engine is hot , also its not running smooth and getts the crackles and runs a bit rough not quite but almost missy ,to get the engine light to come on i dont have to be riding can do it on the stand ,if i rev it steady and the light come on and let go of the throttle ,it takes a while to go off ,if i give the throttle a little blip it goes off much quicker ,further info is im running vrfid if that makes a difference ,

as per 02mans advice ive checked the battery for 2 days now

battery is good dropped from 13-9 to 12.8 in to days with the security modual on and no battery tender ,

also i have a spare perfectly good regulator which i chucked on prob still happened ,so its not that ,

for that u1016 code where exactly do i need to check ,a pic or an easy disciption would be good i get confused with all abreviations

i just want to get on the beast and ride the crap out of it ,

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
loss of ECM serial data, best case you have intermittent contact somewhere between the ecm and the gauges,
the manual talks about using a breakoutbox to check. worst case the manual says you have a bad ECM.
goodluck img014.jpg

img013.jpg

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will look under back seat tommorrow night ,too late tonight ,just hoping someone can point me at the plugs most likely to be a problem ,this code doesnt come up on the live data screen either ,

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Check all the pins in the connections.

not bent over ect...

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
under C im getting u1016 ,which i cleared and fired up the bike again reved it up and the code was back again when i checked ...
I just read your PM to me and I'm not sure what to tell you since you've replaced the OEM ECM with a Daytona VRFI. I have no idea how this ECM sets DTC’s so you'll need to ask the Daytona tech (probably Chris) or one of the guys who've used it what could cause a loss of serial data.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
try using your old ecm to see if it throws the code, if not, the problem lies elsewhere

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks santeg ,thats perfect ,but i cant read half the text ,lol,

is there any particular pin numbers i should be looking at

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
thanks santeg ,thats perfect ,but i cant read half the text ,lol,

is there any particular pin numbers i should be looking at
Replacing the ECM is not trivial especially since you have a highly modified engine. The ECM in your bike is under the passenger pillion. Changing it out involves a 36 pin Packard connector but check with the engine builders before you mess with it.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Replacing the ECM is not trivial especially since you have a highly modified engine. The ECM in your bike is under the passenger pillion. Changing it out involves a 36 pin Packard connector but check with the engine builders before you mess with it.
the ecm is plug and play, cant he just exchange them, and put power to it without starting her to see if its throwing codes?
I figured yes

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
oh i aint messin with it ,lol,i was refering to santegs picture post,
Not knowing how the VRFI device sets codes could make tracing this futile but the U1016 DTC usually means that the ECM is not sending a "STATE OF HEALTH" message on the serial line (pin # 5 on the ECM, wire color is light green with a violet stripe = LGN/V). It can also mean that the serial data communication was lost during the last key cycle.

The LGN/V wire also connects to the IM (Instrument Module) on pin # 7 and the HFSM/TSSM/TSM (turn signal / security module) on pin # 3. All three modules talk to each other on the LGN/V line. If it was a communication problem in the line the other modules wouldn't be able to communicate either and other codes would be set such as U1064 (loss of TSSM data), U1096 (loss of IM data) or U1255 (missing response at module). Since only the U1016 data is being set the problem is most likely in the VRFI device or with the connection at pin #5.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
the ecm is plug and play, cant he just exchange them, and put power to it without starting her to see if its throwing codes?
I figured yes
I think it only throws the code when the engine hits the higher RPMs. He should really check with the engine builders that recommended the VRFI.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
Brett did you clear the code? Clear it and see if it comes back? Does your check engine light come on and stay on? Your going to need to go over and check all the wiring yall did including the pins you addes to the ecm plug.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
smooth,yes code was cleared and it came back ,and yes the light goes off by itself if i leave it or a bit quicker if i give a little blip on the throttle whist on the bike stand

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ken the grounds i know are the 2 near or on the heads the one up near the battery ,where are the others and are they ALL in the service manual,also do i need to brake clean these bolts to get any grese off them or is it ok to have lithium grease on them ,just in case ...

What i find puzzling is wouldnt a bad ground or pin give me problem as soon as bike starts or at a different point in the rpms .day or night .the point at where the light comes on is the same spot getting lower in the rpms the hotter the engine gets identical every time wouldnt a bad ground or pin bit a bit more random or all the time .

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Brett there is a ground on the lower frame between the gas tank and the oil pan (one side is connected to the oil pan and the other is connected to the frame). I say no to the lithium grease but yes to some di-electric grease.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pat i think when ken asked meif its the same question,i think my answer was 45,if that sounds right ,if not tell me what to look at to get ur answer

bryan thanks for that .thats the first one to check cos i rember scott had to relocate it cos it was on the wrong side of the frame rail..maybe it didnt go on correctly .

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok heres one of dumb questions, but i went out to the bike and realised ,i dont know what to do to check the grounds , do i undo wipe with brake clean and put the bolt back in back in ,just check for tightness ,put a multi metre on ,i have no idea ,lol,im laughing now but im sure im not far from chucking a hissy fit over this stupid thing ,lol

ok did a search and found lightly sand and clean the tabs or whatever ,do i need to do anything to the bolts ,

1 - 20 of 68 Posts