Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hooked up the laptop today to download this years, data to figure out why I'm only getting ~ 33mpg the last few tanks (yeah, I know who cares, but I live at mile high altitude and with O^2 sensors this thing should do as well as my carb'd GPZ1100 which does ~ 45mpg). So I hooked up the ancient Dell I bought off of ebay (with an RS232) just for garage usage, it saw the Tmax and started downloading and then,...."lost comm". Hmmm, I said out loud, (I work at home and talk to myself and my cats a lot), so I messed with the connectors, rebooted, the whole works, then called James.

This was the first time I ever talked on the phone with James, nice guy by the way! After we talked I realized the weird custom "DIN-like" connector that plus into the Tmax was bent way over, almost 90 degrees, as I left the interface cable on the Tmax and coiled the RS232 9 pin end around my fuel cell so I could hook up and "play" after rides. So he and I decided it was probably a broken cable, and he told me about the "pigtail" solution they have that puts the connection into the sidways 64 pin ??? harley connector. So I ordered one of those and a new DIN-like thing (he says they make them in-house, how nice, NOT) plus an RS232 to USB 'cause the only 'puter in the house with a real RS232 9 pin is this ancient Dell I bought on ebay just for garage work.

So I'm messing around later and I found out the 'puter would talk to the Tmax after charging it up for awhile on a batter tender (the real one), but not for long. I started up the bike and it would talk for ahwhile also, then loss comm. I'm thinking the comm link isn't solid with a low voltage battery. Since the stupid headlight is on when you turn on the bike, it drops the voltage a lot when you are trying to synch to the Tmax. Well I needed the cables, still can't get a full download/upload, but now think I need a new battery as well. I HATE this step by step buying stuff to find the problem!!!! It's NOT Jame's or Tmax fault, in fact I don't know for sure whats up. But with a couple new cables and I'll order a batter here shortly (mine is 4 years old) it should work....

PS: I love my Tmax, and was just getting ready to have fun tweaking on it, when this comm problem surfaced. Anybody seen this before???

Cheers,

John :notworth:

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
hmmm. For my long sessions of tweaking the bike I usually disconnect the headlamp and leave the tender connected. It might work for you as well.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm. For my long sessions of tweaking the bike I usually disconnect the headlamp and leave the tender connected. It might work for you as well.
Yeah, I'm going to try that tonight as still haven't ordered a battery yet. It's the stocker and it's an '06 so it's probably due.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not a totally digital guy, more of an analog dude, but it seems to me most RS232 chips work fine down to 9VDC. Once I get the new cable, RS232/USB adapter (thank you Zippers for the $100 donation) and a new battery, good deal from Bohannon and probably needed it anyway,....will report on comm problem. I'm going to check to see if it's the connector or battery so I don't diss the wrong component.

John (yep, I'm designing the radios your cell phone talks thru)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I doubt you will get 45 mpg, that would be a dream for me. On my Saturday trip I did 500 km, mostly flat country roads. Speed was a range from 60 mph to 87 mph.

My MPG was 28.3, which in my opinion, is just ****in terrible.

This thing eats gas like a devil at higher speeds.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
only time I see below 30mpg is when I'm doing a run with the misfits. Bike never makes it below 5k RPM and never sees 5th gear. Even doing 80mph I still average 35mpg with freeway riding

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.