Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my 12k service I have noticed a strong smell of gasoline and
when I did a 200 mile ride over this past weekend the bike hesitated like a brief shut off when I was passing - say 65/70 mph. It scared the crap out of me as I was going around a small turn (due to the weight shift when I was leaning the bike). Keep in mind I use the PC3 and never had this happen before. So I will pull the map and compare it to what should be there.

My question is, what do they do for the 12k besides check valves, oil change, and plug change? Just trying to narrow it down.... thanks.

UPDATE: I was not able to get into the power commander and tried two different laptops. So, I ordered a replacement cable (I sure hope it's the cable). Does anyone know what happens if the PC3 dies? Will the bike still run like mine does but like crap...... I have had the PC3 for 3-years....

·
Registered
129 Posts
i just ran into this on my buddies r1, for awhile it would sputter real bad when u gave it gas then one day it wouldnt start, he spent a few messing with it then called me and asked me what i thought it was, i told him to unplug the power commander he did and it started right up, the thing died and was just sending no fuel to the engine

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just ran into this on my buddies r1, for awhile it would sputter real bad when u gave it gas then one day it wouldnt start, he spent a few messing with it then called me and asked me what i thought it was, i told him to unplug the power commander he did and it started right up, the thing died and was just sending no fuel to the engine
Wow. Thanks. That does sound a lot like mine with the exception it hasn't completely died (which is good). I am looking for another cable to rule out the maps and settings but so far, I can't connect to the unit. It looks like it is in fact bad......Still looking at it. I'll post back late this week.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a PC3 on my sport quad and when i had it serviced they somehow cleared the map. when i got it home it sputtered and backfired and occasionally died. I checked the map and found it was erased so once i replaced the map everything worked fine again.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a PC3 on my sport quad and when i had it serviced they somehow cleared the map. when i got it home it sputtered and backfired and occasionally died. I checked the map and found it was erased so once i replaced the map everything worked fine again.
I pulled the unit so I could get to it and none of the lights come on. If I connect a 9-volt battery to the unit, the lights come on. I turn the bike on and it's dead yet the bike still runs (but like crap), and
I cannot access by the USB. Someone mentioned trying to force a
reload of the firmware and I'm still looking for the firmware on the
vendor's site. I only assume it's dead since no lights come on. I have
the model 809-510 PCIII USB.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It sounds to me like there is def. a problem with the pc3. Im not super tech savvy when it comes to the pc3. My suggestion would be to replace it but i would wait and see if there are any more forum members that are more familiar with the tech side of the pc3 first.

·
Registered
129 Posts
take the tuner off see if it runs any better my buddies has never run so good since he took his off

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
take the tuner off see if it runs any better my buddies has never run so good since he took his off
The PC3 powers up fine and I can get the map, push the map and do everything from the connected 9-volt battery. When I connect to the bike, I get nothing. No lights, no communications whether the bike is running or not. I have check the fuses as it is acting like no power. I have connected the stock connectors like from factory and the bike started just fine. In fact, it turned over and started quicker than when the power commander was connected. I will ride to work maybe Friday and see how it runs. This whole thing is weird. I wish I had an extra PC3 to test.... So since I only have the topless and slip-on TABs, it should be fine, right (no PC3)?

·
Registered
129 Posts
now idk on your bike cuz i hasvnt seen one on a vrod but if i remember correctly on the bikes i have owned the pc draws power from the factory connector and on had a ground wire hooked to the bat no power wire if ths is true with yours id say your ground is bad on the pc

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
now idk on your bike cuz i hasvnt seen one on a vrod but if i remember correctly on the bikes i have owned the pc draws power from the factory connector and on had a ground wire hooked to the bat no power wire if ths is true with yours id say your ground is bad on the pc
No ground on these unless it's built into the harness. There are two harnesses and are connected. I triple checked everything. Right now I removed it from the bike, it started and I will ride to work this Friday.

·
Registered
129 Posts
gotta be in the wiring, wires gotta be pinched or fried or broke somewhere if u can power up with a 9 volt and still send maps with the usb that measn the box must still be working onling thing not involved in that process is the wires that connect it to the bike. thats the only thing i could guess

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
The extended warranty is in default after 12000 miles....with all the alterations and modifications? Tuner & Tabs,etc?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gotta be in the wiring, wires gotta be pinched or fried or broke somewhere if u can power up with a 9 volt and still send maps with the usb that measn the box must still be working onling thing not involved in that process is the wires that connect it to the bike. thats the only thing i could guess
I picked up a new USB cable and found out that was part of my problem as I had a hard time getting the signal from the USB as it was intermittent. Now that's working and I just applied the latest firmware and pushed the map back to the box. All looks well, so, I will now go and install back on the bike and see what happens.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's time to get rid of the power commander.Stop playing around and possibly ruining a $6000 engine.
It's no longer on the bike. Not worth the head ache in the long run.

·
Registered
125 Posts
power commander aside...if you are still getting the gas smell after your 12k service....check your front and rear down tubes...techs...not all...are notorious for not getting them seated the way they should be...happened to me...rear down tube was kinked..and front one was not inserted right.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
power commander aside...if you are still getting the gas smell after your 12k service....check your front and rear down tubes...techs...not all...are notorious for not getting them seated the way they should be...happened to me...rear down tube was kinked..and front one was not inserted right.
I will check and thanks. Yeah, the Power Commander was messing up and I was tired messing with it. Bike runs ok, still smell gas and will have to look for the kinks you're referring to. You wouldn't have a pic and can point to the area would you? I know it's asking much. Thanks.

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts