Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been alot of buzz about the '08's here lately. I have an '06 that I purchased new in March. I only have 5 more payments to make before it is paid off. I am really considering an '08....but I am not sure about selling my other v-rod since it is almost set up the way I want it. Basically, all I have left to do is change the wheels. ( If you guys remember I was the one wanting to widen an XB rear wheel.) Ok, without starting another major argument in here on ABS) The reasons I want to buy the '08 are: 1) the bigger displacement 2) 240 rear tire and 3) ABS. Not to mention the fact that I will have a newer bike which will have a higher blue book value considering the other is an '06. (even though I just bought it new in March) I bought this '06 at below retail price and can almost get my money out of it if I sell this fall. I am asking for anyones opinion on this matter. Please don't let this turn into another ABS argument.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
I doubt you will notice the bigger displacement- it's not that much different to feel "seat of the pants".

But, if you don't get hurt by selling the other and you like the newer ones better.... did you put much into your's to make it like you like it tho?

·
I gotta go!
243 Posts
My vote is for you to hold on to what you got. Give it another few years. The V is going anywhere for awhile. The '09's will have something cool too. Just hold out. Let the bugs in the revised '08's pass through.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would not do it for the larger motor but if the 240 and ABS are important to you then the 08 is probably the way you should go......IMHO.......assuming of course the numbers work

Sure wish I only had 5 more payments...........:(

·
'04 1300
3,070 Posts
The question is, will the larger motors actually make more power, or will tighter emissions controls eat up everything?

One option is to save your money and invest in a turbo/big bore/wide tire setup.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Well ABS considered.... just kidding, if you like what you have keep it. You get alot of big mouths in here that MUST live at a drag strip somewhere because all they talk about is HP and every little thing to do with power blah blah blah. I have 40k on my bike, I have raced 4 times maybe in that time. If you like the '06 keep it, if you like the '08's for the reasons you said, get a left over '07 before they are gone, they will slash prices to make room. (Unless ABS is that important to you). Don't fall for all the Hype. I tell ya Chatty Kathy's that you find here that post all day and night about the "new improved product" coming out the Monday is the Best Advertisement HD could ever wish for. All based on a Emissions form.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
"Make what you have yours and don't worry about it."

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This all makes sense to me. Maybe I should keep it cause I am so close to the finished product now. I really want to do this XB wheel idea and I guess putting a big bore kit on it isn't that hard to do. As far as the ABS goes....maybe I can live without it for awhile. I mean...I've rode for 15 years without it - what's a few more years. I appreciate everyones advice. thanks

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
3OliveMartini said:
i would keep what you have and enjoy not having a payment..

:stupid: Other then the ABS you can add the other stuff to your current bike and still not have any payments to make.

·
Registered
690 Posts
IF my bike was worn out and toast I would buy the next one with ABS. I damn sure wouldn't trade what I have in just to get a wider tire and ABS.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It is good to get everyone's opinions but ultimately do what you feel is the best for you. After all it will be you that walks out into the garage and have to live with the decision. I personally like knowing that I have the last of the old style (2006) before they changed the tank, frame, and rear tire.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
Keep what you got and make it your own. Save up your payment money after the last payment is made and put a 240 etc on with the money saved.

·
Burn Baby Burn!!
700 Posts
Smooth is running a 200 I believe. Also the ABS thing sounds like it is going to be an option, and we all know what Harley does with options....can I say JACK up the price baby. If the price isn' t much different for the non ABS bikes then why would you not get it. Don' t be surprised at this one. We' ll all know soon enough. I also was going to sell mine and decided to just keep it for at least another year. Being almost paid off would be a big plus to me to just keep the one I have. Good luck either way you go!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Keep the 06.#1 it's personalized to your taste and everytime you look at it you probably feel good about what you've done and where you still want to go w it,this is one of the most important ingredients in owning a custom vehicle.#2,it's not gonna bring a decent price using it as a wedge on an 08 model.You'll hold the certificate of title soon and this will really help w the enjoyment.

If you can afford to get the 08,take care of them both and you don't think you'll develope a bad case of buyers remorse in a month or 2 then by all means get the 08 and keep the 06.
I have 2 V-Rods,both bought new and I enjoy them both.I maintain them and can afford to modify them without the cost becoming a burdon.I really enjoy my motorcycles.

If the 08's have the same or better refinements that 07 offered I don't think you'll go wrong w the 08.I have 2 issues w my 07,that will get fixed.Even though it aggrevates me some,it's really not that big a deal.It's the fuel guage.The other issue is a brake fluid weep at the sight glasses,the parts are ordered,1 is here and it's no big deal for the warranty repair.
I think the ABS will perform great,the system has been proven.
As far as power loss,you know we will figure ways to tune out the government!

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Call Jerry at HogPro. He makes a 240-260 kit that blows the MOCO away. Almost having the "V" the way you want it is reason enough to keep it. As far as ABS, for 103yrs. Harley never had it, so why the big deal about it now? I think most of the members agree that the 1130cc is a better p[erformimg engine than the 1250cc. I would'nt trade my 05A for anything HD makes now. I dont have ABS, there is no CAT (no emissions testing) and going to a 200mm Avons Venom is all the rubber I need without sacrificing handling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts