Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reviewed most if not all of the threads on exhaust mods and am about to make my final decision.

I have traditionally been a Vance and Hines man so my first thought was to put the Power Shots on (and from what I read it seems they also make the SE 16 so I am considering them as well)

However, once having the bike in my posession I kept looking it over and over and I became more and more convinced that the sweeping design of the stock pipes preserves the lines better than the razor sharp straight lines of the Power Shots. This made me want to consider the VMod that everyone talks about out here but I think it would be very troublesome for me to make happen as I am stationed in Singapore (Asia) so taking the pipes off, shipping them to USA, getting them back etc...might prove too difficult.

To make matters more difficult, today I met up with a fellow VRodder who had the SE 16 on and they sounded GREAT!!

My dealer here tells me that he can remove the baffles from the stock exhaust (even though it is illegal in Singapore). But I assume that this only changes the sound and would not give me any performance gain as with VH or SE or VMod. Am I right?

Any other thoughts that will allow me to get the Harley sound I want but keep the stock look AND not be able to take advantage of VMods??

Thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you think of your motor as a big air pump, what goes in must come out, therefore, by changing your air filter with a more free breathing one, and removing the inner baffle of your stock pipes, along with increasing your fuel delivery, you will definately improve the performance. By V modding your pipes you get a much louder sound and better performance. ChopperSteve will be able to get a pair to you I'm sure. Or let your dealer remove the the inner baffle.
Derek

·
Registered
257 Posts
you can buy them from V-Mod.com directly... Another option which i would recommend also is to look into the D&D full system. I went with them because I liked to look of the stock pipes but wanted a much louder deeper sound. They sound great. v-mod.com has pics of these on their web page along with many other selections.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
What is it you want an exhaust system to do? How would you describe your riding style. Power, looks, sound. This is very subjective except the power part where you can actually measure the results.

I have gone different ways but it seems difficult to go wrong with V-Mods. Look, sound, and perform great. Not necessarily best in all categories. I still think the D&D full system is the best look, a lot of power, and sound great. Ask others and they'll disagree.

If you can stomach them get whatever makes the most power. Those are not V-Mods. Hopefuly these will be the ones you like best in looks. I just had the Joker Machine installed and I think it looks great, are not too loud and come monday will be dynoed and tested. If you can wait and see the results it will be more info. If you think they are just ugly and not what you want then disregard the reccomendation.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
V-Mod:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :stilpoke :eck06 :stooge:

But really! If these were my only two options STvsVMod, I'd bypass whatever I dislike ST and get them installed ASAP in the hp game. Performance is my game and it rules. Bike would look great as everyone seems to like its appearance and sound with them. Not me particularly but to me looks and sound are tertiary to power.

If I keep talking my Jokers will make less power than stock;) .

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
C'mon be fair. It was about 2 months (less actually). It did take them about a year of talking to actual production if I recall correctly. But that is just because they were doing R&D for my motorcycle :rolleyes: :rofl3: (of course, this is a lie). Nah! To be fair, everything takes longer when shipped to Puerto Rico, that's standard issue. If bought from a shop here they probably cost about $800 easy. I better wait than give money away. If they are at least similar in power to ST's they are well worth the time and expense. Matching the power output of ST's will be a very difficult thing for any pipe manufacturer. The other two things are an easy task to beat in my book. (Kidding, kidding. We're not talking Mother Theresa here so chill. I think they fugly, just an opinion.)

Hey anyone think these JM stink? I say again. I want to hear the negatives more than I do the positives. Please keep my frail ego in mind :)icon_twis within).

·
AMF
423 Posts
I always love to read the threads on pipes. There are so many options on aftermarket pipes that it is almost impossible for an individual to make a decision. Personal preference on brand always comes out in the recommendations. How much HP and torque will I get ?, looks, sound (how loud), ease of installation, cost, etc... are always in the mix.

The stock pipes are a joke. As we all know they are so quiet you can't hear the engine running. HP and torque will increase with a pipe change but is that all we want ? I think the main reason most change thier pipes is to make it sound more like a Harley. I think the bike as designed has good power and with changing the pipes and re-mapping the fuel with a K&N definately improves the product. I have read somewhere that a stock V-Rod puts out somewhere around 105-106 RWHP and 74flbs of torque. With the small upgrades of pipes and fuel flow it goes to 109-112RWHP and 78-79flbs. Custom work will get you to 116RWHP and perhaps 80-81flbs. I know I felt the difference when I upgraded to V-Mods and mapped the fuel (112RWHP & 79flbs) and I LOVE the sound of those pipes. They are very easy to install, maintain the stock look that I like, loud but not obnoxious and are most likely the most cost effective pipe on the market.

Just my :2cents

·
DX Rider
630 Posts
thedragon said:
To make matters more difficult, today I met up with a fellow VRodder who had the SE 16 on and they sounded GREAT!!

Any other thoughts that will allow me to get the Harley sound I want but keep the stock look AND not be able to take advantage of VMods??

Thanks.
Put me down as completely pleased with the SE 1 mufflers and matching ECM. Great performance, looks (preserving stock), and sound I think is just right.... nice, low, mellow rumble at cruise. Acceleration growl. Not a loud drone over extended miles.

FWIW, I am V&H loyal for the big twins, but there won't be a "Harley" sound from the water-cooled 60 degree V in the V-Rod. Much different from the air cooled 45v. It is more like the 60 degree V Aprilia Superbike. Very exotic, but not good loud.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts