Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. I need advice on auto tune basic as im not sure it's tuning above 6k I'm using tab exhausts with baffles std filter. The bikes a 2012 nrs. Is there something I need to do to get it to tune higher revs. your help appreciated

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
hi all. I need advice on auto tune basic as im not sure it's tuning above 6k I'm using tab exhausts with baffles std filter. The bikes a 2012 nrs. Is there something I need to do to get it to tune higher revs. your help appreciated
When you set the cal up for autotune basic, it will drop 4 degrees of timing and set the whole afr table to 14.6. So far so good, right. Well in fact the stock NB sensors use CLB tables and they only run to 5k in the tables. Beyond that, it will collect some data but very little even if the afr table is 14.6 to autotune with. For higher rpm tuning and for that matter, overall tuning , Target Tune, using WB sensors is the only real way. I've gotten hits at 7k with my NB stock sensors but it's a real struggle and time consuming. In a nutshell, you are tuning fairly well up to 5-6k rpm but past that the engine is running on the base cals ve tables which are normally open loop, out of the NB sensors range. Personally, I have no use for the basic autotune as it uses a default clb of 700. When you take the cal out of autotune the clb reverts back to base cal clb values. The tune will be wrong. If you decide to stay with the NB sensors I'd set the AFR table to 14.6 manually in the cal and run data logs through a program called MyTune, about $30 or so to set the ve tables. At least then, you are tuning actual calibration clbs. These you can modify as well for low end fuel and economy for cruising for best results. Second option is basic tune using the default autotune clb of 700 but when done change the tune base cal clbs to 700 when done. MPG won't be the best but at least low end will run smooth.
Ron
Ron

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you set the cal up for autotune basic, it will drop 4 degrees of timing and set the whole afr table to 14.6. So far so good, right. Well in fact the stock NB sensors use CLB tables and they only run to 5k in the tables. Beyond that, it will collect some data but very little even if the afr table is 14.6 to autotune with. For higher rpm tuning and for that matter, overall tuning , Target Tune, using WB sensors is the only real way. I've gotten hits at 7k with my NB stock sensors but it's a real struggle and time consuming. In a nutshell, you are tuning fairly well up to 5-6k rpm but past that the engine is running on the base cals ve tables which are normally open loop, out of the NB sensors range. Personally, I have no use for the basic autotune as it uses a default clb of 700. When you take the cal out of autotune the clb reverts back to base cal clb values. The tune will be wrong. If you decide to stay with the NB sensors I'd set the AFR table to 14.6 manually in the cal and run data logs through a program called MyTune, about $30 or so to set the ve tables. At least then, you are tuning actual calibration clbs. These you can modify as well for low end fuel and economy for cruising for best results. Second option is basic tune using the default autotune clb of 700 but when done change the tune base cal clbs to 700 when done. MPG won't be the best but at least low end will run smooth.
Ron
Ron
many thanks Ron. I'll try that set up and see what happens.
I want to get target tune but need to get bungs welded in first.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
many thanks Ron. I'll try that set up and see what happens.
I want to get target tune but need to get bungs welded in first.
If you decide to go with MyTune software, send me your cal and I will set up the clbs that will work best overall and disable the adaptive, which is very v rod unfriendly . All you need to do is set the afr table to 14.6 while data tuning and reset it back to base when done. You will have decel popping while in 14.6 and possibly on the base cal AFR as well. That will not tune out. It's a manual AFR edit(s), last part of the tune process when the rest is done.
Ron

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
many thanks ron.. silly question to ask but what is it I have to send you as I don't have a clue ?
John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The PV calibration loaded in the bike now. All covered in the PDFs .
Ron
many thanks for the advice.
I have now got a target tune as it seems the best way forward.
just 1 question. Can I drill and tap the 12mm bungs to 18mm ?
John

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
many thanks for the advice.
I have now got a target tune as it seems the best way forward.
just 1 question. Can I drill and tap the 12mm bungs to 18mm ?
John
Depends on the exhaust. I believe the stock area has enough meat to do this but the 18mm are much longer and need more room to clear things. Check that first for clearances. Most times another port is welded into a better position and the other capped off.
Ron

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi Ron
I have now got the akra exhaust. but the map is only for the exhaust. will the target tune allow for topless as well or for the snorkel cut off ?
many thanks
John

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
hi Ron
I have now got the akra exhaust. but the map is only for the exhaust. will the target tune allow for topless as well or for the snorkel cut off ?
many thanks
John
Target Tune, as well as PV will dial it in to the requested AFR in the calibration, regardless of exhaust, intake you are running. They are all base cals to start with anyway with very little difference between them. The newer TT cals are leaner then the early ones. Those were too rich in the low end. Revolution doesn't like that, so either DJ wised up or EPA showed up. Keep in mind, if you are seeing 14.2 afrs in the cal, this is still considered somewhat rich.
Ron

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Target Tune, as well as PV will dial it in to the requested AFR in the calibration, regardless of exhaust, intake you are running. They are all base cals to start with anyway with very little difference between them. The newer TT cals are leaner then the early ones. Those were too rich in the low end. Revolution doesn't like that, so either DJ wised up or EPA showed up. Keep in mind, if you are seeing 14.2 afrs in the cal, this is still considered somewhat rich.
Ron
many thanks for the info Ron. now im waiting for the cals to come back from dynojet so I can ride. I thought it was going to be quicker to come back than it has so far
John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts