Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,
I have been lurking around here for quite some time reading about higher mileage vrods, the different models and sub-models, parts for shorter riders etc...I appreciate all the info on here. I am coming over to the darkside as I used to ride an R6 Raven. I haven't had a bike in about 10 years though. I just don't think I could get a super slow cruiser, nor do I want something that everyone has. Thus the VRod.

Nowadays it is hard to find a VROD Muscle or Night Rod to test drive at a dealership, I am looking though. I am now in the market for either and found a few bikes that I'm interested in. However, one of them has most of the parts I would like to have on the bike, already installed. That bike has about double the miles as the other two bikes.

I wanted to get opinions on which route would be best served (getting a lower mileage bike and adding the parts over a longer peroid of time, or buying a higher mileage bike with just about everything I would want).

Here are some preliminary specs of each bike I'm currently looking at:

2012 Night Rod (10 yr anniversary)
Mileage: 8,018
Tuner and Exhaust
Price: $11,500 (I think it's worth about $9,500, but w/e)

2012 VRod Muscle
Mileage: 6,270
Tuner and Exhaust
Price: $9,200

2013 VRod Muscle
Mileage: 16,000
White Denim
SE Cams
Tuner and Exhaust
Intake
Corbin Seat
Detachable bat wing fairing
Grips
Foot pegs/boards
LED Headlight
Price: $8,000

All bikes appear to be in good condition (visually). I would have them checked out by a Harley dealership or bring a friend/bike mechanic along with me for an inspection before buying. I'm even considering the Harley "Rider to Rider" financing (let me know if you have experience with this).

I am on the shorter side (5'8"), but my inseam should be okay. regardless of bike, I plan to get the reduced reach bars from Budman for my T-Rex arms.

I'm not sold on the SE cams of bike #3, but I do want my bike to have a good seat and decent passenger seat, LED headlight, and a detachable windscreen/shield. Seeing the retail price for some of these items, I could easily be in the ballpark of adding a couple thousand onto the price tag of the bike.

Also, are springs/suspension a crucial upgrade? Would you place another item over those that I have listed above?

So, back to the initial question....Would it be smarter to purchase a more expensive bike with lower miles, then add parts over time, or "F" the mileage and get the bike that is cheaper and has just about everything I would want to add, but has almost double the miles?

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
16000 miles is nothing for a V Rod so I wouldn't worry about that part and concentrate more on other things.

·
Registered
281 Posts
All the bikes you've shown are low mileage nice bikes. They should all be mechanically sound and give you miles of smiles. Get the one that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. I'm not a big fan of the Muscle, so it would be easy for me. The Nightrod with a different pipe. The Corbin seat on the White one will be hit or miss. Many feel like they are too hard! I'm one of them. Good luck with your decision. And happy riding.

·
Registered
47 Posts
All look good, if you plan on carrying a passenger you need heavy duty shocks, like Progressive with hd springs at stock length, not lowered.

·
VRSC est -03
2,858 Posts
Me? Night Rod.
Would ditch that noisy exhaust and bolting back stock headers + a pair of supertrapp cans.
Done.
For now...

·
EXCELSIOR
8,483 Posts
It all comes down to what do you want, how much does it cost and how many extras if any does it have. Shop for the deal that's acceptable to you on the bike you want.
Keep in mind that aftermarket accessories for these are more limited than other HD models.

·
Registered
2012 VRSCF
50 Posts
These are all low milage for the V Rod. Just need to decided if you like the NR or Muscle. And conveniently they all come with some extras.

Also, gif you get the white Muscle, I'd like to know what floor boards are on there!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Go for the one that you wanna look at over and over again. In my case I couldn't decide either so I got the NRS and then a year later, got the Muscle. I still cant decide which one looks better, testament to the epic design of both bikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the responses! It sounds like there isn't a consensus between getting something that has all the mods I'm looking for, and a bike that does not. In this thread and many, many others it sounds like I need to go test drive the NRS and Muscle. I have found a muscle at a dealership about 45 minutes away. I may go try to take that for a spin soon. I haven't found a NRS at a dealership yet, but will keep looking.

Being a shorter/smaller guy, the NRS looks more slim (I could be wrong). Is there a model that lends more to my body type than the other, or is it just personal preference and reduced reach parts that really matter?

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Rod, CFR Headers, CFR Fueler, Oberon Slave, Chrome Forks, Chrome Sway, Chrome Calipers.
110 Posts
Hi Gents,
I have been lurking around here for quite some time reading about higher mileage vrods, the different models and sub-models, parts for shorter riders etc...I appreciate all the info on here. I am coming over to the darkside as I used to ride an R6 Raven. I haven't had a bike in about 10 years though. I just don't think I could get a super slow cruiser, nor do I want something that everyone has. Thus the VRod.

Nowadays it is hard to find a VROD Muscle or Night Rod to test drive at a dealership, I am looking though. I am now in the market for either and found a few bikes that I'm interested in. However, one of them has most of the parts I would like to have on the bike, already installed. That bike has about double the miles as the other two bikes.

I wanted to get opinions on which route would be best served (getting a lower mileage bike and adding the parts over a longer peroid of time, or buying a higher mileage bike with just about everything I would want).

Tuner and Exhaust
View attachment 607114

2012 VRod Muscle
Tuner and Exhaust
View attachment 607115

2013 VRod Muscle
White Denim
SE Cams
Tuner and Exhaust
Intake
Corbin Seat
Grips
Foot pegs/boards
LED Headlight
View attachment 607116

All bikes appear to be in good condition (visually). I would have them checked out by a Harley dealership or bring a friend/bike mechanic along with me for an inspection before buying. I'm even considering the Harley "Rider to Rider" financing (let me know if you have experience with this).

I am on the shorter side (5'8"), but my inseam should be okay. regardless of bike, I plan to get the reduced reach bars from Budman for my T-Rex arms.

I'm not sold on the SE cams of bike #3, but I do want my bike to have a good seat and decent passenger seat, LED headlight, and a detachable windscreen/shield. Seeing the retail price for some of these items, I could easily be in the ballpark of adding a couple thousand onto the price tag of the bike.

Also, are springs/suspension a crucial upgrade? Would you place another item over those that I have listed above?

So, back to the initial question....Would it be smarter to purchase a more expensive bike with lower miles, then add parts over time, or "F" the mileage and get the bike that is cheaper and has just about everything I would want to add, but has almost double the miles?

Hi Gents,

Tuner and Exhaust
View attachment 607114

2012 VRod Muscle
Tuner and Exhaust
View attachment 607115

2013 VRod Muscle
White Denim
SE Cams
Tuner and Exhaust
Intake
Corbin Seat
Grips
Foot pegs/boards
LED Headlight
View attachment 607116

I just got my V-Rod 6 months ago and I dont know if you took the time to price the upgrades done to that last bike but those parts are VERY expensive, My bike only had 3000 miles on it when I bought it and I made my choice based on that, big mistake for me because I am not rich I have put $2500 more into it and its still the same bike I would guess that last bike has about $12000 worth of add ons unless that's not allot of money to you, its the bike I would buy(and I spend at least 3 hours EVERY day shopping parts for the last 6 months)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got my V-Rod 6 months ago and I dont know if you took the time to price the upgrades done to that last bike but those parts are VERY expensive, My bike only had 3000 miles on it when I bought it and I made my choice based on that, big mistake for me because I am not rich I have put $2500 more into it and its still the same bike I would guess that last bike has about $12000 worth of add ons unless that's not allot of money to you, its the bike I would buy(and I spend at least 3 hours EVERY day shopping parts for the last 6 months)
^That is the "fork in the road" I have been at for a month now. I'm not made of money! I just know it is easier to sell (when the time comes) a lower mileage bike.Just like you though, I don't want to end up dumping an extra $3k into the bike either. the last bike does have a video and at the end of the video they rev the motor and to me, it has a ping or tick at the top end. I am wondering if that is indicative of valves or something need replaced.

Here is the video:

I also dont "need" cams on the bike, but a nicer passenger seat, removal fairing (not installed on pic), and LED headlight are mighty tempting.

·
Registered
2012 VRSCF
50 Posts
Ya. I was going to post something again but Allen has nailed it. Everything is discontinued and or aftermarket and hard to source. The extra miles on that white muscle are totally outweighed buy the list of upgrades and accessories. If you like the look of the muscle and that colour then it’s a no brainer. But some wouldn’t care as they have a definite preference between the NR and Muscle.

·
Premium Member
2003 V-Rod, CFR Headers, CFR Fueler, Oberon Slave, Chrome Forks, Chrome Sway, Chrome Calipers.
110 Posts
Hi Gents,

Tuner and Exhaust
View attachment 607114

2012 VRod Muscle
Tuner and Exhaust
View attachment 607115

2013 VRod Muscle
White Denim
SE Cams
Tuner and Exhaust
Intake
Corbin Seat
Grips
Foot pegs/boards
LED Headlight
View attachment 607116

I just took another look at that grey bike and it looks like he spent more than $8000 on parts alot of the guys on this forum have quoted me prices that are about half of what I latter learned the parts go for. Its pretty obvious with bike you should buy

·
Registered
2012 VRSCF
50 Posts
With cams, tuner and exhaust it likely spent time on the dyno as well. Hopefully there are some service records

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to have to send 3rd bike guy some questions. I seems like the SE cams require different shims and some say produce higher than average wear. though this is far outside of my knowledge base, I have heard that HD dealerships can't tune with a power commander (PC5). He did say that the PC5 has a "auto tuner" on it ...but I don't know anything about that.

The bike looks good, I just don't want to get it and have to do valves or something like that. I also don't really like the raspiness/ clikcing form the valvetrain in the video when they are reving it. I hear that is normal with the SE cams, but it doesn't sounds good to me. I may see if he will meet at the local HD dealership and have the fully inspect it and try to get financing through them (instead of whipping out cash and not having it inspected).

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD Night Rod
17 Posts
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is where are the controls? Are they forward or mid? Will they make you feel comfortable on the bike? It looks like all of them have forward controls. You should actually sit on the bike and make sure you fell comfortable on it and would feel safe riding.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is where are the controls? Are they forward or mid? Will they make you feel comfortable on the bike? It looks like all of them have forward controls. You should actually sit on the bike and make sure you fell comfortable on it and would feel safe riding.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
They are all forward controls, per the pictures in the original post. I have also mentioned that I already plan on getting some pullback risers and my inseam should be fine with the pegs. If not, it's not a problem to buy reduced reach pegs too. I have already budgeted for these things. It would be best for me to test drive the NRS and Muscle, but it's more challenging now that dealers aren't stocking them. My primary focus is on the modifications/mileage. I want to get something that makes sense, but also a bike that could be easily sold too. Sometimes more mods and miles makes for a difficult sell.

My first bike I purchased was an R6, didn't ride it until I bought it. Got it home, changed the levers to adjustable and lowered the bike an 1" and put 15K miles on it. I don't think riding these bikes will be a show stopper in anyway . Being shorter with T-Rex arms, I'm used to changing things to fit me, or making what I have work.

I was heavily considering bike #3, but unless the seller is willing to take it to the HD dealership so I can pay for them to inspect it, I don't think I'm going to pursue it. I just don't know enough about what those SE cams do to the valvetrain, and certainly don't want to buy it and have to spend $1k in servicing any internals. Honeslty, I don't like the tinking the valves or whatever make when bike #3 is revved up at the end of the video I posted. It's sounds awful to me.

I may wait until some more VRods hit the local market or go after bike #2 and get some levers and pullback riser's ordered. I also, may throw bike #1 a lowball offer as I think he is way above the local market in his current price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts