Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
JohnnyJolt
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

This weekend I am going to adjust my shifter leaver. I need to move it up a fare bit. Any comments and advice will be gladly accepted.

Talk soon

JT

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
You need a 5mm allen and a 10mm wrench. Remove the front sprocket cover (3 bolts) then take the locking pinch bolt out of the shifter arm on the stem coming out of the cases. You do have to totaly remove the bolt because it sits in a groove that will allow the bolt to come lose with out the arm falling off. Then just take the arm off the splined shaft and clock it at what angle you want and assemble as you disassembled.

·
Chuck
2,292 Posts
I just removed the bolt from the linkage, loosened the jam nut, adjusted it where I wanted it, re-attached it. Done. Takes 2-3 min. literally.

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
Bulkman, am I nuts? I thought the stock shifter linkage was not adustable. I thought it was solid bar with spherical bearing at the tips. All the bikes I have to look at here have aftermarket linkage and they arejustable, but I didn't think stock was??? Educate me on that one because if that is true use his way Johnny!

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 05B stock is adjustable.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
vrodcustoms said:
Bulkman, am I nuts? I thought the stock shifter linkage was not adustable. I thought it was solid bar with spherical bearing at the tips. All the bikes I have to look at here have aftermarket linkage and they arejustable, but I didn't think stock was??? Educate me on that one because if that is true use his way Johnny!
The one for the night rod is adjustable. Not much adjustment is available though.

·
Chuck
2,292 Posts
vrodcustoms said:
Certifiable Ray. It does have the spherical bearings on each end, but one end has a jam nut you can loosen to adjust it up or down...;)...pay no attention to how filthy my bike is.

Johnny, just make sure you use locktite on it after you put it back together. Or always plan on having cable ties with you.

Attachments

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
:notworth: Thanks for the schooling guys!!!

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
JohnnyJolt said:
Hi there,

This weekend I am going to adjust my shifter leaver. I need to move it up a fare bit. Any comments and advice will be gladly accepted.

Talk soon

JT
Even after adjusting the linkage, it may still not be right for you. If you have a shift lever that has an adjustable shifter pad, you may have to adjust that up or down. I have the chrome slotted levers and have the pad adjusted on an extreme angle. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
466 Posts
LOL 14 year old post

1 - 13 of 13 Posts