Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Flamed Rod
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the speedo adjustments made of? Are they just a resistance?

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
????I don't know.But v-mod.com has 2 different calibraters.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
crvte84 said:
What are the speedo adjustments made of? Are they just a resistance?
Not exactly sure, but they must monitor the sensor pulses and send them out at a different rate, so they must be a bit more than a simple resistor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Variable Pulse Width in proportion to the speed your travelling. I have a speedo correction unit that I'm not using any more if you need one!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Almost every speedo now uses as Frank mentioned pulses for information. The main shaft will have what is called a reluctor that has a given number of high and low points in it. It will then have a sensor or magnet near the reluctor with an air gap of about .050 and as the reluctor passes by the sensor it creates an a/c signal in high and low points that the pcm counts as pulses. Usually they measure something like 4,000 pulses equal one mile and so many pulses a second equal so many miles per hour. All the correction units do is alter the number of pulses according to your desired change.

I slept at a Holiday Inn last night. :)

Max

·
Registered
472 Posts
I bought the Dakota Digital from Chopper Steve (V.mod) for about $100.
Mounted it by tie-wrapping to the wiring harness on the left side of the bike just behind the rear cylinder and just in front of the storage pouch I have mounted there. It's positioned vertically with the "faster" button on top of the "slower" button.
It needs to be pushed up or down while traveling to change the speedo. I can operate it that way with my left hand without a problem and you can see it even when looking right at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts