Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 03A, I have Progressive lowered spring with SE fork oil (15wt) measured 5.5" from tube. it is a bit too firm for me.

on my 08D, I have the same Progressive lowered spring with regular fork oil (10wt) measured 5.5" from tube. this setup its too soft.

I want to adjust the 08D to be firmer, but not as firm as my 03A. Should I:

1. add more 10wt oil (say up to 5 or 4.5" from tube), or

2. mix 10wt and 15wt and stay 5.5"?

anybody has experience playing with fork oil?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
The progressive kit I got said to adjust the length of the spacer for more or less firmness. The longer the spacer the firmer the ride. Use PVC pipe available at any Home Depot or Lowe's home improvement center, etc.
add a 1/4" at a time until desired firmness.
Forget about mixing oils. It would be pain to have to do this every time you changed the oil.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Try mixing the stock with SE 50 / 50. Either that or go looking for a 15 weight fork oil and try that.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys!

I already use 15wt on my 03 and its too firm, while 10 wt is too soft so i would try to make it 12 or 13wt then

John, good idea with lengthening the spacer, but it would be impossible for me to put the cap back in. the stock spacer length is already tough enough for me :)

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
If you want to soften the ride you reduce the spacer size - but if you do that go carefully in very small increments, a little spacer goes a long way.

Even with that, I still find my lowered 1" too stiff with SE oil too - my next change will be a 50:50 blend of std 10 and SE 15wt.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even with that, I still find my lowered 1" too stiff with SE oil too - my next change will be a 50:50 blend of std 10 and SE 15wt.
this is what i plan to do this weekend. ill let you know how itll come out later :D

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Only so much volume in the cylinder right? To my knowledge the cylinder is not full, which allows the spring to react and displace the fluid, if there is no where to displace the fluid the only place it can go is out right? If the level of fluid was not critical why measure it at all? Why not just filler to the top? Tell me if I am off base in my thinking.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
thanks guys!

I already use 15wt on my 03 and its too firm, while 10 wt is too soft so i would try to make it 12 or 13wt then

John, good idea with lengthening the spacer, but it would be impossible for me to put the cap back in. the stock spacer length is already tough enough for me :)
Are you saying you are using stock spacers with the progressive lowering springs?
My progressive lowering kit came with a new PVC spacer that was about 3" long. The original spacer I believe was about 6" or there about.
Stock spacers with the lowering kit should put you on rails.

PS: A Hint when putting the cap back on the fork. Fold a good rag in several times and place the fork on it. push the cap until it hits the top of the fork THEN TURN THE FORK, not the cap to screw it on. This way pressure on the cap is always maintained to catch the threads.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you saying you are using stock spacers with the progressive lowering springs?
My progressive lowering kit came with a new PVC spacer that was about 3" long. The original spacer I believe was about 6" or there about.
Stock spacers with the lowering kit should put you on rails.

PS: A Hint when putting the cap back on the fork. Fold a good rag in several times and place the fork on it. push the cap until it hits the top of the fork THEN TURN THE FORK, not the cap to screw it on. This way pressure on the cap is always maintained to catch the threads.
no, i use the progressive supplied spacer. i think its about 3.5" length total. i used my full finger riding glove when putting back the cap, and i turned both cap and fork in opposite direction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts