Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to adjust the brake lever travel? *shortening it.
My front brake lever travels around 1/2 way before it activates the brakes.
The master is full of fluid and have a lot of front pad left. I was wondering if there was an internal adjustment that can be made to shorten the travel?

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't believe the stockers are adjustable. You might want to try bleeding them and see if that helps.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
john_fasheh said:
My front brake lever travels around 1/2 way before it activates the brakes.
It could be that the brakes need bleeding - if there are any air bubbles in the system, this would yield the symptoms you describe, even though the master cylinder is full of fluid.

If you bike is more than a couple of years old, its probably not a bad idea to flush the entire brake system with new fluid. Brake fluid gets funky after a couple of years. When you flush the system it is amazing to see the color difference between old fluid and new. You'll also help stop deterioration of the brake system internal parts, and get much better feel from your brakes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vroddrew said:
It could be that the brakes need bleeding - if there are any air bubbles in the system, this would yield the symptoms you describe, even though the master cylinder is full of fluid.

If you bike is more than a couple of years old, its probably not a bad idea to flush the entire brake system with new fluid. Brake fluid gets funky after a couple of years. When you flush the system it is amazing to see the color difference between old fluid and new. You'll also help stop deterioration of the brake system internal parts, and get much better feel from your brakes.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will start with bleeding them. I was hoping there was another approach. Which makes me wonder how air can get into a closed system?
What's funny is I was riding my sport bike, where the brakes are so darn sensitive, I got back on the V-Rod and it felt like I was never going to stop.

Thanks again!
-John

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Must be something in your system. I have always wishe my brakes had more modulation. They are very grabby. Especially at slower speeds.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As stupid as it sounds when I replaced my front pad (worn out badly) the lever came back up.
I missing that part of hydraulics 101 when I went to school.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vette family said:
As stupid as it sounds when I replaced my front pad (worn out badly) the lever came back up.
I missing that part of hydraulics 101 when I went to school.
Follow up on problem:
I decided to replace the front pad's, and I flushed out the old fluid. Replaced with HD Dot 5 as recommended. I bleed the system completely. The lever returned to the proper position immediatley.
By the way, it was an easy job, given I used a hand pump bleeder....
Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts