Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hot Rod Choppers has come up with a new product for the V-Rod:

The HRC Adjustable V Rod Cam Sprocket Kits are the latest new product from Hot Rod Choppers.

These new Sprockets allow for + or - 5 degrees of positive locking adjustment of each camshaft.

CAD designed and CNC machined from steel billet then heat treated these Sprockets offer optimised tooth profiles for constant chain contact.

Each kit contains 4 two piece Sprockets individually designed for each camshaft and all have factory timing marks for simple installation.

Link to their website's new product page.

They also have some velocity stacks that are setup for the K&N Pod style air filters.

HH

·
Frank
4,314 Posts
Hummm... I like the idea, but the hole in the middle do not look large enough to capture the center of the cam.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
Hummm... I like the idea, but the hole in the middle do not look large enough to capture the center of the cam.
I don't know, it seems like a person would be off a couple degrees because of the space between the holes compared to a slot. Second off why so many damn holes a hole or two each way is all that is needed looks like there is adjustment for way more than 5 degrees each way.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Holes are progressively spaced

The reason there are so many holes is because the holes on the drive plate is spaced 0.5 degrees less than the sprocket. When you move the two bolts clockwise one hole, you advance the cam 1/2 degree. When you move it 10 holes, you move it 5 degrees.

Just a guess. I have no way of knowing how much each hole is spaced. But I can tell that the holes are offset by the pics.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I don't know, it seems like a person would be off a couple degrees because of the space between the holes compared to a slot. Second off why so many damn holes a hole or two each way is all that is needed looks like there is adjustment for way more than 5 degrees each way.
it is like a vernier adjustment. i think this is excellent idea. with only two bolts a slotted v-rod cam sprocket could slip with disatrous results.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the reason for all the holes is no matter were you degree the cams one set of holes on the outer cap will align with a set of tapped holes on the inner sprocket on the cam.once locked down absolutely no way for the timing to slip. great idea just hope they are affordable.

·
Frank
4,314 Posts
Like I said before I think this is a great idea (as one of my gears did move when the valve seat dropped). However, what I don't understand is that the cams have a rather large diameter 'pin' extending inside the gear itself and I just don't see that those being shown will work the same way. If they don't have that same hole, then the gear would not be in the correct pane as the guides.

Attachments

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
The reason there are so many holes is because the holes on the drive plate is spaced 0.5 degrees less than the sprocket. When you move the two bolts clockwise one hole, you advance the cam 1/2 degree. When you move it 10 holes, you move it 5 degrees.

Just a guess. I have no way of knowing how much each hole is spaced. But I can tell that the holes are offset by the pics.
Jumping a tooth is 12 degrees it's self if I remember right, there is holes most of the way around the sprocket so it not .5 degrees. The adjustable sprockets I've seen have about a another bolt hole size each side of the stock hole location.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys

The Sprockets are 2 piece and the inner is machined to fit the cam as per the stock sprocket. The outer has a series of holes set at a different spacing to the inner to facilitate adjustment 1 hole = 1 degree of adjustment. The centre hole gives 0 timing and there is 5 holes either side thus + or - 5 degrees of adjustment.
The Sprockets are currently being used on several Street Bikes over here as well as by some of our quickest Drag Racing Destoryers and are working well.

Steve

Hot Rod Choppers

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Vernier adjustment holes

Hi Guys

The Sprockets are 2 piece and the inner is machined to fit the cam as per the stock sprocket. The outer has a series of holes set at a different spacing to the inner to facilitate adjustment 1 hole = 1 degree of adjustment. The centre hole gives 0 timing and there is 5 holes either side thus + or - 5 degrees of adjustment.
The Sprockets are currently being used on several Street Bikes over here as well as by some of our quickest Drag Racing Destoryers and are working well.

Steve

Hot Rod Choppers
It looks like I counted wrong. I doubled the numbers of combination in my mind and came up with 0.5 degrees. Oops.

I guess that was silly after all. One degree interval is fine enough for cam tuning.

What have you found that might benefit the average street rider? Does advancing intake and retarding exhaust improve performance? If so, how much improvement have you seen? Where is a good place to start?

·
Friend of Max.
21,715 Posts
Hi Guys

Steve

Hot Rod Choppers

Welcome to the forums. I agree with Frank, HOW MUCH!??

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steve replied to an e-mail message indicating that the velocity stacks are $89.95 USD plus shipping. He's checking on the shipping.

Also, Welcome to the forum Steve...

HH

·
brett
9,338 Posts
i like the idea but out of curiosity how much are the slotted sprockets from scott, do they do the same job or is one better than the other

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
slotted sprockets are much cheaper because they are just modified stock parts. of course the price of a slipped cam could be much higher than the price difference. these sprockets are expensive but they can`t slip.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I know this is a old post. Did anyone ever purchase or run these? I have been looking for a set over a few years and ran across this post

1 - 19 of 19 Posts