Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a vrod with toxic pipes and filer. the dealer claimed he tuned the bike a little rich due to the short pipes and so i woulnt burn up valves. they used the screamin eagle super tuner pro. i think the map is all out of wack all of the sudden im getting a raw fuel smell with alot of popping at low rpm and when i get on the bike it runs fine. not the plugs or no codes. i was looking to see if i can stack a power commander ontop of the screamin eagle tuner due to its better for my shop that local . can i just add the power commander or do i need to do something before adding it? please help

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
i have a vrod with toxic pipes and filer. the dealer claimed he tuned the bike a little rich due to the short pipes and so i woulnt burn up valves. they used the screamin eagle super tuner pro. i think the map is all out of wack all of the sudden im getting a raw fuel smell with alot of popping at low rpm and when i get on the bike it runs fine. not the plugs or no codes. i was looking to see if i can stack a power commander ontop of the screamin eagle tuner due to its better for my shop that local . can i just add the power commander or do i need to do something before adding it? please help
Frankly, I'd take it back to the tuner , tell him the problem and have him adjust it. By the way, burning valves is bullshit. You are killing the cylinders running that rich. PC , like any tuner requires some tuning knowledge for success and just using a base map seldom gives great results
Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Sreaming Eagle tuner is a flash tuner, so it doesn't remain on the bike. What it does is alter the tune in the ECM and the bike runs on that. If you add a PC, one of several tunes can be loaded into it. The bike will now run on the PC cal instead. Keep in mind, you can alter the cal in the PC as well for what afr you like, however to actually tune the bike, you need autotune to dial it in. If the tune was good at first when he did it. Now, if you are looking at getting the PC, you are further ahead to get a flash tuner instead. TTS, Screaming Eagle or PV and use the Stock O2 sensors which will autotune to a new cal of your choice. All of this is a steep learning curve and not easy for a first timer. Frankly, I'd take it back to the tuner , tell him the problem and have him adjust it. By the way, burning valves is bullshit.
Ron
harley tuned the bike in 2014 when my friend brought it new. i just brought it off of him and it sat in the garage for 3 years.. i just figured to get away from this se tuner and go with the power commander with auto tune. i wasn't sure if i can stack it ontop of the se tuner.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
harley tuned the bike in 2014 when my friend brought it new. i just brought it off of him and it sat in the garage for 3 years.. i just figured to get away from this se tuner and go with the power commander with auto tune. i wasn't sure if i can stack it ontop of the se tuner.
The SE tuner is not attached to the bike. See my edited post, not the one you quoted.
Ron

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would go with the powervision rather than the powercommander.
The powervision is not a piggyback, it changes the ecm just like the Screamin Eagle tuners. Why use a bandaid to patch a bad tune, when you can fix or change the tune altogether.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would go with the powervision rather than the powercommander.
The powervision is not a piggyback, it changes the ecm just like the Screamin Eagle tuners. Why use a bandaid to patch a bad tune, when you can fix or change the tune altogether.
that was my plan . so i can just use that over the se tuner is what i wanted to know.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
that was my plan . so i can just use that over the se tuner is what i wanted to know.
All the PC is, is a signal modifier to the difference between what the PC cal is in relation to the cal loaded into the ECM currently. You are not actually going over the SE tuner itself as it's not on the bike. They are hooked up for tuning and then removed. That cal in the ECM is a modified version also. One of the SE tuner cals written into the ECM. The PC modifies this.
Ron

·
VRSC est -03
2,536 Posts
A PowerVision marries to the ecm.
When marry the pv it would overwrite the sepst license. Thus making sepst unusable for all time?
It will be better with another ecm? Right or wrong?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
A PowerVision marries to the ecm.
When marry the pv it would overwrite the sepst license. Thus making sepst unusable for all time?
It will be better with another ecm? Right or wrong?
Yes it will marry to the ECM just fine with PV. The current cal in the ECM that was loaded from the SE tuner will be the new stock cal it sees. PC does not marry, which is why it can be used on many bikes. Beware though. You need an underanding on how to tune with any of them. Should you have troubles and need to go back to the last guy, most HD outfits only use HD tuners and might not work with the PV. Good independent tuner people will use all brands or at least most of them with success.
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,258 Posts
I would try to diagnose just what the problem is instead of blaming it on a tune. The SE tuner modifies the tuning procedures within the ECM. unless the ECM has taken a dump the tune is not your problem. After sitting for 3 years, it is anyone's guess what is wrong. Take it to a dealer for diagnosis or someone that is capable of handling problems with a V-Rod.
edited 3/15 8:30Pm for typos etc.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I would try to diagnose just what the problem is instead of blaming it on a tune. The SE tuner modifies the tuning procedures within the ECM. unless thee ECM has taken a dump the tune is not your problem. After sitting for 3 years, it is anyone's guess what is wrong. Take it to a dealer for diagnosis or something that is capable of handling problems with a V-Rod.
I tend to agree. After 3 years sitting there's a good chance it might have blocked injectors, especially if it ran ok before. All the tuning in the world won't fix a mechanical issue. Read somewhere recently where even cleaning the injectors, one refused to work. He replaced both.
Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the bike didn't sit for 3 years straight it was ran time to time. brought the bike to the shop and he said the map seems to be off on low end and uptop seems fine . told me get rid of the se tuner and get a power commander. just brought the power vision just waiting for it to come in. these stupid toxic pipes on this bike seems to be a pain in the butt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts