Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you splice in another deutch connector to the data port will you be able to run the TwinScan II+ and the SERT in data mode at the same time?

I don't see why not as they are both just aquiring data and not sending data.

Any thoughts?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I'm not following. The SERT reads/records data?

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rjrivero said:
I'm not following. The SERT reads/records data?
Yes there is a data mode (realy a great tool for tuning) but once again you will need a backpack.

·
The Hawk
3,906 Posts
From what I can tell, it should work. Maybe CBDane will chime in.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Yes, this should work. Both TSII and SERT have high impedance inputs to the circuits that convert the serial bus stream, if not they would interfere with the bike electronics, so there should be negligible change in bus signal with both connected.

I agree though, that Brent (cbdane) may know more.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Hypothetically speaking, if I were to try this, and I probably will. Then I would get a 3 connectors from Batts Racing, and make a 2-1 jumper. That way, I don't have to "splice" anything. FWIW.
www.battsracing.com
Direct link here.

I hope my Laptop can log both systems simultaneously.

·
Scott Whitney
1,211 Posts
It should work. And if you have a V-Gauge, then you would have 3 added devices monitoring the data bus. Information overload!

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rjrivero said:
Hypothetically speaking, if I were to try this, and I probably will. Then I would get a 3 connectors from Batts Racing, and make a 2-1 jumper. That way, I don't have to "splice" anything. FWIW.
www.battsracing.com
Direct link here.

That is a great Idea RJ, thanks for the link.:thumb:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
DTHDOC said:
That is a great Idea RJ, thanks for the link.:thumb:
I hope to be doing this by October. Please let me know how it works for you. I'll be trying to read both data streams on one laptop. This is interesting. ;)

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rjrivero said:
I hope to be doing this by October. Please let me know how it works for you. I'll be trying to read both data streams on one laptop. This is interesting. ;)
RJ, you only need to monitor the DATA MODE of the SERT as it is so frigin comprehensive, the TSII+ will monitor the AFR and Like DALER I added a switch to the TSII+ so I can turn it on and off on the fly and record only data I need. and then download it when I am done riding.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
DTHDOC said:
RJ, you only need to monitor the DATA MODE of the SERT as it is so frigin comprehensive, the TSII+ will monitor the AFR and Like DALER I added a switch to the TSII+ so I can turn it on and off on the fly and record only data I need. and then download it when I am done riding.
Now that's not gonna stop me from trying to read them both simultaneously! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Update on using two connections to the HD serial bus

DTHDOC said:
If you splice in another deutch connector to the data port will you be able to run the TwinScan II+ and the SERT in data mode at the same time?

I don't see why not as they are both just aquiring data and not sending data.

Any thoughts?
I tried this Friday night and couldn't get this to work.

I first tried this with both the SERT "Data Mode" and TSII software running in the same PC (a Shuttle box running MS XP OS). The SERT was connected using COM1 and the TSII as COM4 on the USB bus. The Data Mode application had trouble synching to the com port as soon as I tried the "view realtime data" application in the TSII.

I then tried this with two computers. I used the Shuttle box for the TSII application and I ran the SERT Data Mode in my laptop (an old IBM "stink pad" running windows 98). The symptoms were the same. The SERT data mode displayed occasional drop outs of data feed when the TSII "view realtime data" application was launched. The TSII application would not synch and display the "instrument screen" if the SERT application was running.

Since these "realtime" display applications didn't work I didn't try saving data with either application.

This wasn't a problem for me to try since I already was using a cable with both connectors (drawings attached) but normally just use The TSII to collect data while riding the bike. I don't carry a laptop with me, just the TSII connected to the harness shown, with everything in the lower airfilter box (running topless). I only use the SERT to reprogram the ECM while the bike is stationary.

Maybe someone else will have more luck or can suggest some different way to do this. I posted the drawings in case someone can suggest something better that might work.

Sorry about the delay in posting but my network was down yesterday.

Attachments

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
rjrivero said:

Probably not... one of the apps will most likely take exclusive control over the port.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
mikep said:
Probably not... one of the apps will most likely take exclusive control over the port.
This reminded me of something I read in the SERT Data Mode instructions. Although this involves the HD serial bus and not the PC "com ports".

You can set the SERT application to have exclusive use of the HD serial bus with a warning that it could cause problems with some bikes. Doing this will shut down communication on the bus and the TSSM and the IM won't be able to talk to the ECM. I made sure I didn't do this since I wanted the two PC applications to have access to the serial data line also.

I was first surprised that both applications in the same computer didn't work since the COM1 and USB COM4 are on different lines. The way it failed indicated that the problem was excess activity on the HD serial line and not collisions in the PC. This was confirmed by trying two computers. The TSII application doesn't like anything else reading the serial bus. The SERT application reports problems and slows down, but it doesn't completely fail like the TSII software did.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Does anyone running a V-Guage notice any errors when running a SERT in data mode?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would be surprised if it did work because the system would not be able to send information to both units at the same time, this circuit is not designed for communicating with two devices at the same time and it could damage the bikes computer if you are not careful. Computer electronics are circuits that pulse on and off and or + - specific voltages to communicate. if you try to send information to and from multiple devices that are not specifically designed to work together in that arrangement you and change the voltage and damage any combination of the devices. I would not attempt this unless you have some specific information form all manufacturers of the devices saying they will work together.

·
Scott Whitney
1,211 Posts
screemingscott said:
I would be surprised if it did work because the system would not be able to send information to both units at the same time, this circuit is not designed for communicating with two devices at the same time and it could damage the bikes computer if you are not careful. Computer electronics are circuits that pulse on and off and or + - specific voltages to communicate. if you try to send information to and from multiple devices that are not specifically designed to work together in that arrangement you and change the voltage and damage any combination of the devices. I would not attempt this unless you have some specific information form all manufacturers of the devices saying they will work together.
The V-Gauge only "monitors" the data bus. It does not "drive" it or communicate on it in any way. It does create a very slight added load on the bus, but I would not be concerned with that. On the other hand, the V-Gauge does draw a fair amount of power from the +12V. If the V-Gauge power is wired to the wrong place, and you load that same power (or ground) wire down with another load (SERT), I could see them both having problems due to low voltage. I also could imagine the possibility that when in SERT data mode, some of the data on the bus may not be available as required by the V-Gauge, causing V-Gauge errors. The V-Gauge would not cause a problem for the SERT except possibly with the power as I described.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Any device you ADD to a circuit must communicate in some way to intercept the information, All devices have to be part of the CIRCUIT to interact with it and work. Unless ALL devices attached to the circuit are designed to work with each other in that combination it will either lower or increase the voltage in the circuit causing malfunction of some or all of the devices or damage to some or all of the devices. Yes as a communications tech I have a fair amount of training and experience in this area I have to make many devices communicate with each other and it is often a difficult job to do. The serial buss on the V-Rod is not like a USB Universal Serial Bus on a PC, the PC USB is just as it says a serial buss that has specified parameters that must be met to work together and as time goes on you see more devices that work on the USB connection and it has taken almost 20 years to get to the point it is at now and it will continue to grow as time goes on. The serial buss on a V-Rod is more like the old serial buss in a PC that has ports like COM1 and COM2 and devices are assigned a port to work and you can only connect 1 device at a time to that port. I hope this helps clarify some of what I said in my previous post.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts