Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I've got her ready to go today... but she's a little low on coolant. I haven't added coolant before. But I have some from HD and I'm wondering how much strength to use on the plastic filler cap. I'm afraid I'm fixing to break it... but I can't get it off... Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

:banghead:

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
I ran into the same problem. Cap would not come loose. I finally was playing around with the hose near the cap and pulled up some and the cap lifted off pretty easy. That was before I read the post on the fitting/cap breaking. It did not break and so far so good. It's a bitch you have to spend $8+ for a gallon of the antifreeze. That amount will last you a life time with a V-Rod, unless you change it once a year.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah mustanggt, I didn't want to have to pull on that hose at the top of the filler cap... I ended up just pulling up on the filler cap until she finally snapped off. Everything appears to be good to go now... wasn't down too much... just wanted to get 'er done!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know these posts are old..lol..but the gallon of coolant from Harley Davidson today was $23.00..
Does it go into the exp tank or directly into the radiator?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I know these posts are old..lol..but the gallon of coolant from Harley Davidson today was $23.00..
Does it go into the exp tank or directly into the radiator?

The catch can should not be used to determine the amount of coolant in the system.If you brake the nipple off the lid,there are a few ways to repair it,or just replace the can and lid with a new and improved one from Harley.
The coolant level,or amount is checked at the filler cap under the air box.The system should be burped of any trapped air at the bleeder that can be accessed from the little plug at the bottom of the air box.
I usually remove the plug at the front cylinder head and let as much out from there as will come out w the filler cap off.Then I refill w fresh coolant.I do this at every other oil change.

I repaired my 03 lid with a universal transmission drain plug bulk head fitting and an 1/8th inch 90° chrome fitting in place of the drain plug.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts