Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 2004 V-Rod and have been riding it every chance I get. It's been running great, no problems except... I have noticed that after about 40 miles, it starts to become hard to shift into first when I come to a light or stop sign. It seems to be fine before this. I have checked the sight gauge and it looks clear so I suspect I need to add fluid. Sorry to even have to ask this but I am not the most mechanically inclined person and I don't want to make the problem worse.
Is it as simple as unscrewing the two screws, removing the cover and just pouring in more fluid until it reaches the full line, then putting the cover back?
I've done some research on it and I have read all sorts of horror stories about gettting air in the line, got to bleed it, etc.
Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Andy

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
you can pull the cover off with no problems. Just be careful not to get any fluid on anything.

Check the color the of the fluid and see if it is bad.

If you wish to flush it then Motive Products sells a pressure bleeder for the bikes.

Just do your self a favor and do not kick the shifter peg. you will do more damage to the bike then just having problems getting it into first.

Go through and clean all the linkage and lube it back up and see if this helps.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
did you change the oil when you purchased the bike? These bikes have a wet clutch which shares the engine oil (5qts). I've noticed that if my oil is nearing the end of its life or is low, I have shifting issues.

P.S. purchase the service manual. It will pay for itself the very first time you use it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the Info - I will be changing the oil and clutch fluid this weekend (got the service manual). Hopefully that will take care of it! Thanks Again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts