Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several posts asking about adding ABS, but none cover the details. I fully agree that it may be wiser to trade in and buy a new bike, but I don't have a V-rod yet.

I'm currently looking for a salvage V-rod for a project so relocating the battery or other parts isn't an issue since the frame will be modified. I'd thought I'd ask before spending some quality time at the dealers parts counter cross checking part numbers.

Does the ABS use special brake calipers and discs?
I'm assuming special brake master cylinders that work with the pump. Or, is the ABS pump an in-line assembly that uses the standard master cylinders?
Can you add the sensor and magnetic wheel bearings or are the wheel hubs special?
Do you need a special load or a new ECU?
Several posts indicate that ABS bikes use a special wiring harness. Is this true? This seems odd since having a special harness adds to the assembly and logistics burden.

Granted, ABS is only needed in an emergency or panic braking situation. Yes, I've locked the front when I wasn't focused on the traffic and was able to release and reapply without harm, but ABS is a good safety item.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
It uses the same brembo calipers as the other Brembo equipted Rods. Master cyllnder is the same. The ABS unit is mounted where the voltage regulater is on the 02 to 07 Rods.
If I find a donor bike, I will be doing the same swap.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
To even think about doing this on a non ABS bike you'll need to change the harness and ecm. Then you'll need the new radiator cover, voltage regulator, abs module and all of the abs wheel bearings. Even IF you can get it to work the cost and labor of trying to make it work will be way to high. IMHO

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Labor is only to high if paying someone to do it. Wrenching in the garage in the evening is more relaxing for me than spending the time on the recliner watching a senseless show or a movie (again).

Vrod-Mike, do you know what is different about the harness?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking for a salvage with ABS, but I haven't seen any. Not sure if it is just timing or the lack of wrecked bikes. It may have something to do with not locking up the brakes and slidding into stuff.

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
I'm looking for a salvage with ABS, but I haven't seen any. Not sure if it is just timing or the lack of wrecked bikes. It may have something to do with not locking up the brakes and slidding into stuff.
Considering only 08 and up have the option I am sure you may have to wait to find a salvaged ABS bike

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Labor is only to high if paying someone to do it. Wrenching in the garage in the evening is more relaxing for me than spending the time on the recliner watching a senseless show or a movie (again).

Vrod-Mike, do you know what is different about the harness?
Depends on what year bike you're trying to adapt it to. On the older bikes with the ecm up front the entire harness is different. On the newer bikes that have the ecm under the seat the harness is still different because the regulator is moved and the abs module is in the spot that the regulator used to occupy. I'm sure there are other differences as well, but I haven't done the research to really look into it. I have a parts book coming in and when it does if I have the time I'll try to put a parts list together just to give everyone and idea of how expensive the conversion would be.

Plus even with all of the correct parts I still don't know if you could get it to work right and worrying about whether my brakes are working properly is not something I need to be thinking about while riding.

·
Gone
2,012 Posts
Plus even with all of the correct parts I still don't know if you could get it to work right and worrying about whether my brakes are working properly is not something I need to be thinking about while riding.
This statement should sum up all these ABS threads.

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
Don't see how it cant work. If you pull all the parts from a donor ABS bike, I don't see the issue. It would be no different than pulling the parts off the bike to make a repair and reinstalling it. I wont own another Rod that isnt a R, so buying a new one with ABS is out of the question. How ever I can buy a wrecked bike. Pull all the parts I need and sell the rest of savlagable parts to recover some costs.
As for what it costs to do the conversion to do the cost with new parts from harley, Im sure it isnt cheap. I will be going salvage route myself, so I can pull everything.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Adding ABS simply isn't cost effective or practical on the early models. It's not just the labor it's the cost of all the items required to build then unit and that is before you even begin to think about the dependability of adding a system like that in. I priced all the parts it would require at one time and it came to about 3k for parts alone when all was considered.

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
For me 3k isnt horrible. Still alot cheaper than buying a new bike. So it costs 2300 more than if you bought a new bike with ABS. As for it not being practical, might be the case if you have an A or DX and you can trade it in for the same bike. For us R owners, that's not possible.

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
What about the cost to add ABS to an 08? There would be no relocation of the regulator and I would think that the harness is the same.. no? The dealer I bought my bike from did not have any ABS bikes, so going the salvage route should be a good option for an 08... or no?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The down side is 3k is just parts, then you have to make it all fit in the bike and remember you may even have to change wheels and other items to make this work, not to mention you have no place to put your battery so a custom tank to mount the battery under it may even be needed. It just isn't a viable option at all.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Adding ABS simply isn't cost effective or practical on the early models. It's not just the labor it's the cost of all the items required to build then unit and that is before you even begin to think about the dependability of adding a system like that in. I priced all the parts it would require at one time and it came to about 3k for parts alone when all was considered.
How about adding it to an 08 AW?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
How about adding it to an 08 AW?
That would be a different story since it has the battery in a new location and the room for the module, it would still be more expensive then you would think IMHO. Some things if you want you need to buy with a vehicle, adding them later always cost three times as much as the option cost because so many things have to be changed.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
I guess if someone wanted to get creative they could find a different spot for the ABS module..

like - having twin nitrous tanks on each side, only you could have one of them a fake tank covering the module.....:D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts