Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Ever tried to kickstart a 450cc 4 Stroke Motocross bike without a compression release when it's cold and not finding slightly ATDC ? Multiply that by 2 cylinders and 2.5 times the cc's and I think you have your answer. Broken Right Knee is a possibility - right before landing on your head. Never was a pussy button guy, but hey every purist has their limitations -

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
meh...…...do it easy

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Tassie - You Worry Me what are you looking at when you're not making V Rod great again ?

Mike - Can't wait to see the first starting attempt with your F150 hand cranking project ! Send a video ! Henry Ford would be so proud ! It could catch on and you could sell millions of hand crank kits worldwide and be a Billionaire !

sammicurr - So sorry you received such rude treatment on your 3rd post with such an innocent question ! We're really nice guys, kinda, sometimes, mainly when we're not A holes - which is not often.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,669 Posts
sammicurr - So sorry you received such rude treatment on your 3rd post with such an innocent question ! We're really nice guys, kinda, sometimes, mainly when we're not A holes - which is not often.
Pay no attention to this guy, he doesn't know what he is talking about. Many of us are full time assholes and hyper competent ones at that. ;)

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Is this even a possible mod? Anyone attempt it?
ECM needs somewhat steady rotation/slowing to fire the spark and 11.5-1 compression even it you got spark would be a deal breaker. The ECM detects a crank slowing during the compression stroke so it knows which cyl to fire. Electron magic for sure. That ingredient will be missing in kick start. Early Revolutions had compression releases on the cam, the later do not. I grew up on kickers, knuckle and pans and while they were easy if tuned well, even those low compression motors would wear you out if badly tuned or you had a system for starting them both cold and hot.
Ron

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tassie - You Worry Me what are you looking at when you're not making V Rod great again ?

Mike - Can't wait to see the first starting attempt with your F150 hand cranking project ! Send a video ! Henry Ford would be so proud ! It could catch on and you could sell millions of hand crank kits worldwide and be a Billionaire !

Nah it's all good. I had to ask, nothing wrong with a good ribbing. :moon:

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Mmmmm.....no such thing as a 1940 Panhead. Until 1948 it was Knucklehead.... Unless it was a Knuckle/Pan conversion. And if you have a good Knuckle bottom end now it should be brought back to original because Knuckle's are gold now.
If one only knew. In 1969 I bought a full Knuckle dresser for $250 that was still ridden weekly. It was a 47 EL. Of course being young, Easy Rider came out so choppers were the rage so the knuckle went that direction. All the stock bagger shit went in the dump, worth a fortune now. Next bike was a 52 pan I got with trading my VW trike for, again the chopper scene was in effect. It was part way to chopper so I just continued on with it. I wish I had both of those bikes again but at the time they were just plain old HD junk.
Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.