Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
How hard was it? Could you explain some of the process to how you installed it? I've seen several people interested in this as well as myself and have yet to see anyone go into detail about what is required. Thanks!

Looks awesome!!

·
Mmm donut...
48 Posts
I just talked to the parts guy at the local dealership here about this a couple weeks ago. It seemed like one of the most reasonably priced side-mounts out there. It was a matter of time before someone else figured out this might work. So as the above, more details about your install?

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
Looks great! I just ordered the same taillight and now I need to move my plate to get rid of the dogs ass. Which mount is that and were did you buy it?

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments.

It is a Muscle side plate. I bought it off here but I am sure it can be ordered from any stealership.

·
Rocky Mountain Rider
341 Posts
Light showed up today and hooking it up was pretty easy. Had to rewire it to a 4-prong connector because my tail light was not stock and it has been rewired. Needed some help so called them twice and the guy who answered talked me thru it one step at a time. Great service. Looks great and the old signals will come off when the vertical plate mount arrives. Thanks for the recommendation, it really looks sharp. Will post pics when the plate is on.

Basically I hooked the signal wires to the positive wire on signal cables, then cut the connector and spliced it to the existing 4-prong connector. Didn't have to remove anything but the light to do the job and it is super bright!!!

·
Mmm donut...
48 Posts
Ok - so it looks like Harley part number 60972-10. My side mount just crapped out on my last ride and improvisational engineering got me home...

So how hard is it really to get this hooked up?
Did it mount with the same (or near) the same holes as the dogs ass?
Was any modification to the mounting bracket necessary?
Did the plate light hook up easily?
Did the fender have to come off?

At this point, I need to find a solution to my problem and there are other options, but I like this as it would be "factory" looking but still custom since it's doesn't appear to bee offered for VRSCA/B/R whatever. It's easy to find in the sportster list of parts.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was not very difficult just takes some time and creativity.

When you remove the dogs ass you will see some tabs hanginf down below the fender to support the dogs ass. I used this to mount the plate to. You will need to drill some holes into the bracket at the same spacing. I went to home depot for some metric bolts to mount the plate. I used a washer and lock washer to mount the bracket. wiring is fairly simple. The plate assy will come with a pigtail with a newer style connector so you will need to resplice the old connector onto the pigtail. The finder will need to come off as well as the fender liner.

I will try to get some pictures this weekend as I am out of town.

Brian

·
Mmm donut...
48 Posts
As I learned tonight, a previous owner cross-threaded/overtightened the four allen screws that hold the fender plate on. So if I do this, it's going to be an adventure.

Thanks for the info...

·
Mmm donut...
48 Posts
Good luck with the sale - I ended up going with a LM Cycles side mount that installed on the shock bolt. Then I ran the wiring along the inside of the swing arm (plenty of clearance) and up under the seat. I wrapped the wires with braided loom wrap to protect them.

Looks great, I got rid of my temporary mount (zip ties) and now have a lighted frame! I might still look at this mod at some time though, it does make for a a much more "stock" appearance while being custom...

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts