Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of the crap crankcase ventilation system and oil running off the back cylinder, so I fixed it. So far so good. I posted some pictures. If you have questions let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
You realize all that oil that use to collect in the box is now going into the engine? This will create a lot of unwanted carbon.
Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You realize all that oil that use to collect in the box is now going into the engine? This will create a lot of unwanted carbon.
Ron
Actually the opposite of that is correct. The original vent system has the vent gasses going almost directly into the intake system. The purpose of the catch can is to separate the oil and crude out of the gasses. One problem with a lot of positive crankcase ventilation "PCV" systems is, they don't use a catch can, or the system dose not use vent lines long enough so the vapors can condensate. The VR dose use a catch can but because it's so close to the source it doesn't work, and any oil and crud it dose catch drains right back into the crankcase.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is that catchcan vented or sealed? If it is sealed, would there be any benefit to having a vented one? I think I have one from my camaro that I never used but it is vented (with a filter).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that catchcan vented or sealed? If it is sealed, would there be any benefit to having a vented one? I think I have one from my camaro that I never used but it is vented (with a filter).
It is sealed. It vents into the intake so as to help create a vacuum. As for the benefits to a can that vents into atmosphere, the main reason would be for simplisity. Its easy to not run extra lines. It would be good on boosted engines that dont pull vacuum. The only difference between them is some have an extra port for a filter, but this one I used could just simply have it vent to atmosphere.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m looking to do this also. Couple questions. Did you get a 2 or 3 port? Why run lines back to the intake? Wouldn’t it be good/ better to just vent it out to the atmosphere?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Catch Can

I never had a problem with my turbo Muscle but with my '12 FLHX 120R with the Trask turbo the crankcase vent line was run down to just under the bike so the line would vent to the atmosphere. The only thing emitted to the atmosphere from this line was heated air and gasses from the engine interior and sometimes with a bit of oil mist. After a while this oil mist would accumulate on the underside of the bike's frame. I didn't like that so I bought a catch can and mounted it as seen in the attached photo. It's got a drain plug in the bottom of it. Every once in a while I remove the plug and check if there is any oil in the catch can. Inside the catch can is a foam absorbent. The catch can vents as you see to a K&N filter. Whenever I have checked by removing the plug there's very little oil accumulated, jut a few drops at the most. Anyone concerned about the oil going back into the engine could do something like this. I think the catch can is available only in chrome but not a big deal. It could be painted or powdercoated and I'm sure mounted in some discreet location.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
I’m looking to do this also. Couple questions. Did you get a 2 or 3 port? Why run lines back to the intake? Wouldn’t it be good/ better to just vent it out to the atmosphere?
I'm not running lines back to the intake. The lines are the crankcase breather lines that usually run back into the air cleaner on naturally aspirated bikes. The lines for the crankcase breather join just under the intake then go to the catch can. Any oil vapor is caught in the catch can and the small K&N filter you see allows ventilation to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It is sealed. It vents into the intake so as to help create a vacuum. As for the benefits to a can that vents into atmosphere, the main reason would be for simplisity. Its easy to not run extra lines. It would be good on boosted engines that dont pull vacuum. The only difference between them is some have an extra port for a filter, but this one I used could just simply have it vent to atmosphere.
Not accurate. Forced induction does produce vacuum (a TON), you just have to plumb your vac line on your catch can BEFORE the blower/turbo/etc to see said vac (and you can use a one way valve if you are really worried about pressurizing your catch can).

On NA engines I usually don't use a vac line unless it's high horsepower/drag race specific. In those situations I have welded angle cut pipe to down pipes (with one way valves) to create venturi effect from the exhaust to create a vac/scavenging source. On big engines this works really well. On smaller engines/reasonable power usually a 2 port vented can is enough. On these bikes I would only worry about vac ports when going boosted.

Also, why did you mount the can on the visible frame rail? Tons of room to hide that under the airbox cover.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Not accurate. Forced induction does produce vacuum (a TON), you just have to plumb your vac line on your catch can BEFORE the blower/turbo/etc to see said vac (and you can use a one way valve if you are really worried about pressurizing your catch can).
This is interesting. How do you do this in practice? Drill a small fitting to turbo compressor air inlet.

·
Registered
507 Posts
This is interesting. How do you do this in practice? Drill a small fitting to turbo compressor air inlet.
That or a short intake pipe for the filter with a nipple. Tons of examples in the turbo forums (I'm a long time DSM owner/hacker/racer/forced mechanic...).

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Ok. Not want to hijack this thread but this interesting and actual topic for me also. In my previous build I tried to make vac in my catch can but result was thick oil cloud in the traffic lights and many middle fingers. So I took one valve away from catch can filter and let it breath freely to atmosphere again. Also put smaller 1mm diam of restrictor to turbo oil inlet. However now I am willing to test this vac catch can again when I got this build running.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ok. Not want to hijack this thread but this interesting and actual topic for me also. In my previous build I tried to make vac in my catch can but result was thick oil cloud in the traffic lights and many middle fingers. So I took one valve away from catch can filter and let it breath freely to atmosphere again. Also put smaller 1mm diam of restrictor to turbo oil inlet. However now I am willing to test this vac catch can again when I got this build running.
You clearly were pressurizing your catch can. Indeed PRE-turbo (or supercharger) intake PLUS a one way valve will eliminate that possibility. What you will see is a dramatic increase in oil captured in the can however (I am used to emptying them every 2-3 months during oil changes or maintenance. No big deal and much better ring sealing.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
It appears so. This time want to test something else. Emptying can every 2 or 3 months ain't really problem to me. In this build I have new great mcx plenum where is catch can integrated in the design. Maybe sight glass would be good there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts