Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 CVO V-Rod and have been told the ECM is the same as the '07 so thinking about adding the O2 sensors from an '07 and a closed-loop map.

Wiring them in should not be a problem and I think the '07 map would load with MasterTune but not sure if there are firmware differences in the ECM.

Has anyone tried it?

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I know people have added the bungs, for the T max to run an autotune, but I am not sure about the ECM's. I believe they were the same until 08 but someone far more knowledgable than me will speak up.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
correct - no 02 sensors until 2008....

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:them: I have an '07AW and it was withOUT O2 sensors until I did the ThunderMax install.
You will need an ECM & narrow band O2 sensors from an '08 or newer to accomplish what you are attempting.
Honestly speaking, you would be better served going with ThunderMax or PowerCommander V that come with WIDEband O2 sensors instead of the HD narrowband. The costs will be comparable to upgrading to the HD stuff, but you will now be able to tune your bike for whichever exhaust you choose when you choose, and no need to visit an HD shop

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have an '06 CVO V-Rod and have been told the ECM is the same as the '07 so thinking about adding the O2 sensors from an '07 and a closed-loop map.

Wiring them in should not be a problem and I think the '07 map would load with MasterTune but not sure if there are firmware differences in the ECM.

Has anyone tried it?
that is a good question, i don`t believe that the ecm was changed in 07 , i believe the o2 sensors wired into ecm pins that weren`t used in 06 and earlier, it might be possilble to wire into the appropriate recesses in the ecm plug.. but there might be a problem sending the correct map to the ecm,, it might be imcompatible because of the vin stored in the ecm.. got me thinking,, i will try to find out something tuesday when i go back to work..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks lbrown!

The idea came from Steve Cole at TTS/MasterTune.

They have a guide for adding the O2 Sensors to 2004-2006 Twin Cams but they mention the ECM must be 2005 or newer.

It works as you mentioned by wiring the O2 sensors into some un-used pins on the ECM and in the case of the Twin Cam they load in a 02 enabled map and it works.

Steve said he thinks the ECM for '06 and '07 is the same and I presume '08 as well. I think '08 was the first year for O2 sensors on a V-Rod.

So I think it will work on an '06 V-Rod but yet to be proven.

My main reason for wanting to add the O2 sensors is to use V-Tune with MasterTune.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Go For it, Doug! Like Andre, I went TMAX, bungs on a Bub 7, and called it good. Joe

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...It works as you mentioned by wiring the O2 sensors into some un-used pins on the ECM and in the case of the Twin Cam they load in a 02 enabled map and it works. ...
Here's the ECM pinouts and wire colors for 2010 on. I think these were the same in 2008. I added the TACH signal wire used on '05 and '06 VRSCSE models. The VSS wire at pin 33 was white (up to 2005 at least) and then changed to black with a blue stripe according to the 2010 service manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the ECM pinouts and wire colors for 2010 on. I think these were the same in 2008. I added the TACH signal wire used on '05 and '06 VRSCSE models. The VSS wire at pin 33 was white (up to 2005 at least) and then changed to black with a blue stripe according to the 2010 service manual.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes confirmed, it works! A '05-'06 V-Rod can be upgraded to Closed-Loop by wiring the HD O2 sensors into the ECM and loading a .MT7 (closed-loop) map into the ECM. No other changes to the ECM are required. The part numbers and wiring diagrams are in the MasterTune manual but I can upload them if anyone needs it.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Has anyone done this with a SERT? In my case I have the old SE Race tuner, would this only work with the newer tuners like the SEPST or TTS?

The part numbers and wiring diagrams are in the MasterTune manual but I can upload them if anyone needs it.
That could be a good start! :thumb:

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Has anyone done this with a SERT? In my case I have the old SE Race tuner, would this only work with the newer tuners like the SEPST or TTS?

The part numbers and wiring diagrams are in the MasterTune manual but I can upload them if anyone needs it.
That could be a good start! :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts