Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a lot of vibration and head shake issues etc. I put the bike up on a stand today and put my magnetic dial indicator on it and measured the run out of the rear tire.

I came up with .025" Seems excessive to me?

I had a nail in the tire and patched it so I am going to be taking it all apart soon to replace the tire even though it only has 2 or 3k on it. Oh well. I am also going to to replace the bearings in the wheel since I think they are shot as the swing arm vibrates so bad.

I need suggestions on what to look at. Thanks all.

·
on the hwy to hell
5,025 Posts
Having a lot of vibration and head shake issues etc. I put the bike up on a stand today and put my magnetic dial indicator on it and measured the run out of the rear tire.

I had a nail in the tire and patched it so I am going to be taking it all apart soon to replace the tire even though it only has 2 or 3k on it. Oh well. I am also going to to replace the bearings in the wheel since I think they are shot as the swing arm vibrates so bad.

here's what the service manual says for runout, tire off
IMG_0500[1].JPG

·
Banned
14,891 Posts

*I would never patch a bike tire and run it, ever. Not worth the risk or money. Even vulcanizing a tire is entirely out of the question. You only have 2, 1 goes down, you go down.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Everyone has different views on repairing tyres.
My view is if you have a slow leak and you repair it and the repair fails you have another slow leak. Anyway thats a different discussion.
Have you had the wheel/tyre balanced?
Usually the rear is not that critical with balance. I've opted on some occasions to skip the weights if there are not too many needed and felt no vibration.
Maybe the patch in combination with an already out of balance tyre is too much out of balance.
I would think that if your vibration was cause by wheel bearings you should be able to feel this when you lift the wheel off the ground and grab it and try to move it from side to side.
Any competant wheel/ tyre place should be able to check this out.
I'd get this confirmed before I would sart changing out bearings.

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
I would deflate and break the bead on the tire and rotate it 180°. THen try again

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Everyone has different views on repairing tyres.
My view is if you have a slow leak and you repair it and the repair fails you have another slow leak.
Small leaks can become large leaks and more to the point, can happen at 70-80 MPH. Patches fail and it's when they fail that is the problem. Patches are dangerous - Period.
He needs to lose this tire so the run-out is a moot point.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I hit massive pot hole a while back that ruined my front tire. I am beggining to think the rear is junk to. I have Duma beads in the tire and I have been unimpressed with them. So I will be removing them, getting a new tire. I have had my eye on the black ice wheels fore a while now. So this is agood reason to buy them.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
patched tire why not.....

I have run four rear tires from new to bald, and every one had a patch in it. never had even one problem, even at 125MPH.
just never on a front tire unless it was a temporary fix to get home.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
I have run four rear tires from new to bald, and every one had a patch in it. never had even one problem, even at 125MPH.
just never on a front tire unless it was a temporary fix to get home.
Hmmmm Never on the front? So you have your doubts about patches obviously.

Anyway, good luck at 125 mph with a patch. It only takes once.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ordered a new tire, will be here in a few days. In the mean time I will do a big smokey burnout to get my moneys worth out of the old new tire.

I have noticed a grinding feeling when leaning left but not right. Its accompanied by some grinding noise as well. So I think I have a failing wheel bearing. Nothing else would cause that could it?

·
EXCELSIOR
8,374 Posts
here's what the service manual says for runout, tire off
View attachment 183911
That's "Wheel" runout, not tire runout.

That said, if I had .025" runout in a spoked wheel I would adjust it out. With a cast or forged wheel though I'm not sure what your options are. While there are aluminum wheel repair businesses around I'm not sure I would let them work on a bike wheel without first checking to see if they experience with bike wheels.

If truly talking "Tire" runout I wouldn't be concerned, tires are a "flexible" items and load causes them to deform and equalize within the constraints of the tires construction.

And damn guys lets not start the tire patch/plug argument again.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I measured that on the wheel itself. It leads me to thing that the impact of the pothole bent the wheel in that spot (it gets really bad in a small area then tapers off) the axle is bent, or it is not exactly square in the swing arm or a combination of all the above.

I will find out for sure when I can measure it on a stand instead of the bike.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,374 Posts
Then it sounds like you're right, the wheel may be dinged. Check around about wheel repair. I've done it with auto wheels, around $50-$75 per. Just make sure they won't mar the wheel.
If you can't find any ready listings check with auto body shops. They often can lead you in the right direction.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it is in fact bent I am going to get the black ice rear wheel to replace it. :D

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Rear wheel dynamic imbalance causes front end wobble.
Bent axles don't cause wheel runout.
The weight of a motorcycle is co-supported by the compressed column of spacers, forks, and bearing inner races- not merely by the shear strength of the axles.
Bent wheels should be replaced immediately.
Rear tires can be plug-patched with impunity.
Rear wheel misalignment causes front wheel cupping and asymmetrical front tire wear.
A sucker is born every minute (the only statement here worth debate).:soapbox:

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Impunity??? :rofl:

Manufacturers of these tires do not recommend patches most of the time. Yes, they want to sell tires but everything ever printed says not really a great idea to do patches, With the exception of very small diameter holes, and even then it's recommended to stay under 50MPH the first 48 hours and under 70 for the life of that tire. These restrictions in and of themselves speak volumes to the integrity of a patch.

Other than being as safe as possible - for the cost of a tire, should the patch blow out and should you cause damage to your bike and maybe others there is a great chance the Insurance company can screw you if they find a patched tire. It's happened.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,374 Posts
Rear wheel dynamic imbalance causes front end wobble.
Bent axles don't cause wheel runout.
The weight of a motorcycle is co-supported by the compressed column of spacers, forks, and bearing inner races- not merely by the shear strength of the axles.Bent wheels should be replaced immediately.
Rear tires can be plug-patched with impunity.
Rear wheel misalignment causes front wheel cupping and asymmetrical front tire wear.
A sucker is born every minute (the only statement here worth debate).:soapbox:
Amen, you don't have any idea how many times I've tried to explain that simple concept to people.

·
She f...in Hates me!
800 Posts
Tire runout

I just looked in the service manual and it says......

Runout Inches
rim, lateral .040
rim, radial .030

Tire,lateral .060
Tire, radial .090

·
She f...in Hates me!
800 Posts
I just checked my rear tire runout and it is about .070".:banghead: The other day when I had it dynoed I could see it hopping around but it is balanced so it doesn't vibrate at all! And I don't feel the hop when on the rode! We'll see what happens as the tire wears down! It only has 1200 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts