Registered
437 Posts
Yes it is a aftermarket option.

I am not sure i think its about $800

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aftermarket through harley or somewhere else online ?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
can u add abs to a non abs bike ?
Others have attempted this but it’s not easy or recommended. It’s really a factory installed option (dealers won’t install this).

Yes it is a aftermarket option.

I am not sure i think its about $800
It’ not what most would call an aftermarket option (a dealer won’t install it) and would be significantly more than $800 dollars, not to mention the labor required.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah thats too bad i got over zellis when i bought my bike never even thought about abs really wish i had bought a bike with it

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
ABS really is NOT an aftermarket option. Believe it's an $800 upgrade from factory, but to do it after the fact will take you into the thousands.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It really expensive to add later as mentioned earlier plus you stop slower with ABS vs learning you bike well enough to do true threshold braking. I constantly out brake several of the ABS bikes "drama free" in panic stop situations.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... Believe it's an $800 upgrade from factory, ...
Yep, on the 2010 models it's $845 but for the 2011 models you have to get the “Security Package”: ABS + security = $1200. This ABS package deal is for all HD bikes that have ABS option: VRSC, touring, and softails.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
It really expensive to add later as mentioned earlier plus you stop slower with ABS vs learning you bike well enough to do true threshold braking. I constantly out brake several of the ABS bikes "drama free" in panic stop situations.
:bs::bs::bs:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree, when i was in the market for my DX i test drove 2 identical NightRods, one with ABS, one without about 10 mins apart. Both were same color scheme and my only real decision i had to make was to go with the ABS or not, so i was purely focused on the brakes, that being said. I did a "hard brake" test run and in my honest opinion i prefer not to have it, i believe i did better myself feathering the front brake along with the rear than i did doing a hard stop with the ABS. i dint know how to explain it the ABS just felt un natural and in my opinion, it took way to long to come to a complete stop. Although its not without its merits, i am sure in a panic stop situation it would most likely keep you from going into a skid and loose control of your bike. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post

:them::bs::bs::bs:
Y'all can call BS if you want but you can ask anyone who saw the wreck at the first Vrods and Hot Bods we did... I got hit because the guy with ABS didn't stop as quick as I did and proceeded to do $4500 damage to my bike and 6 weeks of waiting on parts to come in... Or ask Bshipp1986 he was the one who hit me.

That's not the only time I have watched an ABS bike pass me up stopping either. Go out and practice your threshold braking if you don't have ABS you would be surprised how quickly you can stop...

PS to keep from locking the back up and skidding make sure you leave the clutch engaged except when downshifting... if you are downshifting then when the motor is engaged to physically lock the back wheel up you have to not only overcome the traction of the wheel but the you also would be locking the motor up which is harder then you might think... I call it poor boy rear anti-lock.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah thats what i like about ABS is in panic situations when u just grab the front brakes. i think on a day to day basis when your riding with it everyday it may take longer to stop but thats what youll be use to and youll give yourself the right amount of room, but god forbid im in the rain with my gf on the back and someone pulls out in front of me my natural reaction is going to be to grab the brake lever hard

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Y'all can call BS if you want but you can ask anyone who saw the wreck at the first Vrods and Hot Bods we did... I got hit because the guy with ABS didn't stop as quick as I did and proceeded to do $4500 damage to my bike and 6 weeks of waiting on parts to come in... Or ask Bshipp1986 he was the one who hit me.
I don't have ABS on the bike and stop just fine. Sounds more like your buddy panicked and tried to out think the ABS. Instead of jumping on BOTH brakes hard sounds like he only used the rear brake and pumped it like you would standard brakes. Same thing my mother did when she wrecked my car in a PA snow storm trying to panic stop at a stop sign. Her car was in the shop and did not have ABS, my car did have ABS, but she was way too good of a driver to trust a computer to stop better than she could..... Yeah, she was wrong!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I don't have anything against ABS... I personally didn't care when I got my bike, hell I didn't even know it was an option, I love ABS in the rain. I do not know what you mean by pump the brakes though I don't pump the brakes on anything I own and never have. Assuming the vehicle does not have ABS, in a quick stop scenario I apply firm steady pressure in a smooth manner to just before lock up and if I misjudge and do lock up I smoothly release until they unlock and then smoothly re-apply. With ABS I still react smoothly and quickly but when I feel the ABS kick in I just apply more pressure to allow the ABS to do it's job. Years ago when I was first going through the process to get my SCCA license one of the first things my instructor told me was to imagine that I had an egg between my foot and the pedals to make me consciously not just stab at the pedals like they were on-off switches. Like I said practice threshold braking and if you do not know what it is Google it. I don't care whether you have ABS or not truly learning to drive/ride at a machines limit (in a safe manner) may save your life one day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok... I'll play along and stir the pot and add some personal insight.

My last bike was a Honda ST1300. Linked disk brakes not ABS.. but WOW I could stop her on a dime and give change.
But when I decided to give the ST up for a NRS I wanted ABS and Sec without a doubt..

I have lots of rain down here, curves everywhere and more deer than cats and dogs.

Yes, I have practiced my panic stops and Wendy stops great dry and wet...
I have had one situation I did as a test/Playing that scared the heck out of me... but it was not a fair test.

I was coasting fast in neutral, 15mph or so... and gauged how hard to step on the rear brake ONLY to stop hard right at my mailbox... (again, I was goofing off) she was shutting down hard and would have stopped dead on mark, but just before stopping (the point the tire was about to lock up) the break just released shot me 3ft past the mail box, brake re-engaged and stopped quickly.

I don't feel with full brakes it would do that, it did without doubt get my attention.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts