Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Anyone have any experience with stuck abs valve ?

On my 2014 muscle I have the valve stuck on the rear breaks.
I was working on my bike for about a year and I had the abs module on the shelf in my garage , now I assembled the bike together and tried to bleed the brakes , the front is fine but just can't run the fluid through the rear .
My mechanic told me that I have the valve stuck.
I figured it might of happened because the module was just laying there dry for quite a bit and the valves probably got a bit rusty or something like that .

Now my question is , did anyone tried to take the abs pump apart and clean / fix the valves ??
If so any help would be really appreciated.
Maybe someone got some pics or info ??

I'm trying not to buy a new pump as where I live that would take forever and it will cost crazy $$$.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
From what I've seen of them, it would be a lost cause to attempt a repair. I'd replace. Most likely got moisture and the valving got corroded.
Ron

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi , I have the same issue except , my rear is ok and my front don't work . Did you ever find a way to repair or any bypass ? Thanks

·
Cabeca de Ferro
425 Posts
Hi , I have the same issue except , my rear is ok and my front don't work . Did you ever find a way to repair or any bypass ? Thanks
You can bypass it in three ways. 1 using a threaded block to join the two brake lines. 2 using a drilled screw. 3 changing the entire brake line for a one piece brake line.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks Cabeca de Ferro for the information / diagrams on how to by pass without removing the module .
From the diagram listed above , I do like the idea of using a coupling or the Screw & end cap nut. By any chance, do you have a part number ? Thanks again
However , I would like the info on how to remove the ABS Mod form the frame, does anyone have the information ?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Thanks Cabeca de Ferro for the information / diagrams on how to by pass without removing the module .
From the diagram listed above , I do like the idea of using a coupling or the Screw & end cap nut. By any chance, do you have a part number ? Thanks again
However , I would like the info on how to remove the ABS Mod form the frame, does anyone have the information ?
The problem with removing the system is that you will have a permanently lit ABS light in the instrument cluster, which means you will then have to dismantle the cluster to remove the led from the circuit board.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hey guys,

Anyone have any experience with stuck abs valve ?

On my 2014 muscle I have the valve stuck on the rear breaks.
I was working on my bike for about a year and I had the abs module on the shelf in my garage , now I assembled the bike together and tried to bleed the brakes , the front is fine but just can't run the fluid through the rear .
My mechanic told me that I have the valve stuck.
I figured it might of happened because the module was just laying there dry for quite a bit and the valves probably got a bit rusty or something like that .

Now my question is , did anyone tried to take the abs pump apart and clean / fix the valves ??
If so any help would be really appreciated.
Maybe someone got some pics or info ??

I'm trying not to buy a new pump as where I live that would take forever and it will cost crazy $$$.

Thanks for any help
Did you have anyone run a diag tool for the ABS HCU to try and command the solenoid to open? Long shot, but I have had a few customers have luck with this.

·
Cabeca de Ferro
425 Posts
I found these two part numbers that can work. The acorn nut I believe you should find at any hardware store.
993-03-31SC...10mm x 1.0mm Double banjo bolt (correct thread on V-rod models)
1742-0117........10mm x 1.25 mm Double banjo bolt Drag Specialties Catalog
I would not remove the ABS module because as Coastrider said the ABS light would always be on.

·
Cabeca de Ferro
425 Posts
Did you have anyone run a diag tool for the ABS HCU to try and command the solenoid to open? Long shot, but I have had a few customers have luck with this.
I was never lucky with that, since the brake fluid gets old and locks the pistons inside the module just by opening, cleaning and replacing the pistons and seals to get back to work (for a short time, most of the time).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts