Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turns out that the front brake fade (lever going to grip when using) finally got diagnosed after eight months and three times taking it in. (of course the problem was found after factory warranty went out) I thought it was the master cylinder going bad but it turns out the ABS system is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. I was told about two weeks to get parts/replace and will cost a little over $1000. I do had the ESP (extended plan) but it doesn't cover everything, such as shop supplies. Warranties never work as good as they make them out to be when you are buying them. Has anyone else had an issue with the ABS?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I believe forum member Jeb Huling had a similar if not the same problem.
Since this issue has been documented before your factory warranty expired and it took the inept techs this long to figure out it was the ABS, shouldn't the factory still honor that?
Would be worth a call to HD to find out.

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
Oh boy, my light started flashing intermittently yesterday... Rode about 20 miles today and nothing.

My factory warranty runs out in March... Got the extended though. I'd be interested in the out of pocket. Hope it's not much bud...

·
Road rash hurts!!!!
191 Posts
If you havn't already complained to your store might be worth askin to talk with the service manager explain you've had this on goin problem which has taken a long time to solve, and now its out of warrante your annoyed about the cost thats going to be involved. They may give you a good deal off the cost of parts/labour if your very very lucky you might get it done too keep good customer relations.

Nothin ventured nothin gain good luck.

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Im interested to know about the extended warranty part myself. I have been wondering if it was a good investment or not. Jim

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, when the $158 they charged me last week in shop supplies and 1 hour of diagnostics, I found out how well the warranty worked. I have had a few issues I didn't get into on the thread yet. When they replaced my front tire in Jan because of a gash the mechanic forgot to put a rotor washer back in. I noticed it a while after I got it back the first time and forgot to mention it the second time I brought it in. On the third trip for the same issues they charged me $13.25 for the washer. When I brought up the fact that I wouldn't pay for something their shop forgot to do they told me they had over 9 hours of diagnostics/troubleshooting the ABS problem and they took pity (for lack of a better word)on me and only charged me for one hour. I still let them know that they were the only shop to touch my bike from mile one but it didn't matter. I was told the warranty will not cover diagnostics/troubleshooting nor shop supplies. That is what makes me worry that I will have a significant bill when I get my NRS back. The shop manager/service manager knows me pretty well because of the issues and I am usually pretty nice when I go in. I am sure they are tired of me bitching about the brakes because every time I would let them know how unsafe it was to ride without front brakes and their mechanic needed to fix it.

So, do I think the warranty is worth it? Yes, i think it is, but just remember it doesn't cover everything. I hate to see what would happen if I tried to replace the engine under warranty...

T-Rod, my light never came on and the tech said there never any codes to be found.

AOW, I am going to call HD on that and the fact that the powder coating on my front right fork tube is peeling. It didn't do that until they replaced the fork seals....

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Well, when the $158 they charged me last week in shop supplies and 1 hour of diagnostics, I found out how well the warranty worked. I have had a few issues I didn't get into on the thread yet. When they replaced my front tire in Jan because of a gash the mechanic forgot to put a rotor washer back in. I noticed it a while after I got it back the first time and forgot to mention it the second time I brought it in. On the third trip for the same issues they charged me $13.25 for the washer. When I brought up the fact that I wouldn't pay for something their shop forgot to do they told me they had over 9 hours of diagnostics/troubleshooting the ABS problem and they took pity (for lack of a better word)on me and only charged me for one hour. I still let them know that they were the only shop to touch my bike from mile one but it didn't matter. I was told the warranty will not cover diagnostics/troubleshooting nor shop supplies. That is what makes me worry that I will have a significant bill when I get my NRS back. The shop manager/service manager knows me pretty well because of the issues and I am usually pretty nice when I go in. I am sure they are tired of me bitching about the brakes because every time I would let them know how unsafe it was to ride without front brakes and their mechanic needed to fix it.

So, do I think the warranty is worth it? Yes, i think it is, but just remember it doesn't cover everything. I hate to see what would happen if I tried to replace the engine under warranty...

T-Rod, my light never came on and the tech said there never any codes to be found.

AOW, I am going to call HD on that and the fact that the powder coating on my front right fork tube is peeling. It didn't do that until they replaced the fork seals....
Hey M- I haven't seen you around and figure I know where the bike has been. Mine was in the shop for 18 days months back. Yeah I have the extended warranty too. Mine on my 07 runs out in 2011. I need to see if I will extend again...... Let me know when you're out and about or at Whitts.

Bob

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
at our dealership if a problem occured before the warranty runs out we will usually get it taken care of.. the dealership has a certain amount of money to spend every year in cases like this .. i would try talking to the shop manager .. you should be able to get it taken care of if you don`t get ballistic. if all else fails call hd directly with your vin handy.. they should have a reference number if the problem was worked on while under warranty and that should be enough to get it taken care of..

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
If the problem was reported before your Factory warranty ran out then it is covered under that plan.

Read your extended warranty agreement. DIagnosis should be covered by it. I had extended warranties for all my bikes. There was a $50 deductable but that is it. $158 for shop supplies? You have to be kidding?

Contact Harley Customer service and find another dealer.

Memorize this number (414) 343-4056

It's Harleys Customer service. Anytime you feel you are getting jerked around call the number. They are nice people and will get results fast.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
thanx for the #, just saved it to my phone.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I have been very nice to these guys and have not been pissy with them. All times I have talked to them I have been stern but never unreasonable.

I will call HD and ask about my $158, my front fork power coating issue, missing rotor washer and my ABS under warranty questions..

Thanks for the support guys

Bob.. I still have K8's sporty to putt around on so anytime you want to ride let me know and I will find the full face helmet to hide my shame..heh heh

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
According to the warranty flyer, fluids, diagnostic time is covered subject to the warranty administrator. Dealer does not make that call. I would challenge that charge!

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Yeah, I have been very nice to these guys and have not been pissy with them. All times I have talked to them I have been stern but never unreasonable.

I will call HD and ask about my $158, my front fork power coating issue, missing rotor washer and my ABS under warranty questions..

Thanks for the support guys

Bob.. I still have K8's sporty to putt around on so anytime you want to ride let me know and I will find the full face helmet to hide my shame..heh heh
There's a big Skyline ride on 9/25 from 9- 5:30 pm

·
Registered
60 Posts
my ABS light came on after I rode off from the dealership. Since I bought it 100 miles away from my home, I took it to my local dealer and that was 16 days ago. They have not resolved the issue yet and I am leaving the country on Monday for 3 weeks. So let see, I paid over almost 15k for something I enjoyed 3 day?????? The service (if you can call it that) manager was kind enough to tell me that he wasn't going to charge me for the three weeks of storage... What a nice guy.....

This is what I would do.
1. I am documenting everything and writing down everyone's name.
2. I would hold their survey until the repair is complete.
3. If repair is not done, get a attorney. They are very hungry these day.

I hate to go to such extreme but big companies seem to not respond until you do go to extreme.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Guess there are more than a few issues with the ABS. I've been searching this site for answers and there really doesn't seem to be a consistent one.

I bought a 2011 the other day and we went on a shake down cruise. The ABS light came on at 68 miles. After deciding to turn around rather than continue the ride we made a few stops along the way to check the bike. Checked the calipers - not hot. No loose wires, all hoses still connected. So on the last leg home I decided to test the system. I applied the brakes hard and the fronts brakes grabbed almost to the point of locking up. So I released them and just applied the rear and it acted like it was working. Now I know the system worked when I rode it home because I used it.

Another thing the bike did a few times when I shut it off was the gauges pegged out. Don't know if that's a separate problem or somehow related to the ABS problem.

There were a few other things they need to check out. The engine coughs and the speedometer is erratic. Maybe put it on the dino and run it.

There is a lemon law in this state - so the time starts from the day I take it in. I hope these problems can be fixed - I love the bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just an update. They did find a problem with the ABS system on my bike. Apparently someone at the factory installed the ABS sensor on the rear wheel backwards.

Also with the other issues of the gauges could be attributed to the loose battery connections. Also found two electrical plugs not seated or making good contact. We'll see.

They told me they expedited the part coming out of HD. With the way our weather has been going here in Washington the window is closing fast for our nice weather. Rain is coming back tomorrow. Ugh!

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Just an update. They did find a problem with the ABS system on my bike. Apparently someone at the factory installed the ABS sensor on the rear wheel backwards.

Also with the other issues of the gauges could be attributed to the loose battery connections. Also found two electrical plugs not seated or making good contact. We'll see.

They told me they expedited the part coming out of HD. With the way our weather has been going here in Washington the window is closing fast for our nice weather. Rain is coming back tomorrow. Ugh!
Find it difficult to believe this came out of the FACTORY like that. That sensor just doesn't fit correctly backwards (with the wire going towards wheel instead of swingarm).

If you've ever had a rear tire done, I'd suspect the person who R&R'd the wheel last did this. They just do too many of these at the factory to let one slip by like that. But since it's an '11 - that just might be so. Did the bike come with anything that would have required the wheel to come off at the stealership?

Rick

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is a brand new bike, I only have 108 miles on it. I picked it up with 9 miles on it.

But I understand what you're talking about. Really doesn't make sense that this would be installed wrong from the factory. Unless the person making it got a lay off notice and was pissed off. Just don't know.

What I do know is it is taking forever to get it back. I had the bike at my house for 4 days, rode it the first and had to park it. They came and picked it up and now they've had it for 4 days. I want to ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Okay, here's the scope on the ABS problem. They replaced the sensor and when they road tested the bike it threw the code again. So they called Harley. Come to find out - it's a known problem with Harley on these bikes. The wire harness is too short. There is just enough to get the sensor in the rear wheel bracket with no allowance for play. So they were given the fix, which consisted of taking apart the cannon plug and replacing the entire wire to the control unit. At least they didn't just splice it. I'm happy so far...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts