Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pale, acute, mobile
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look closely at the gallery of the '08 V-rods on the H-D site you can see how the ABS is configured.

Note how the voltage regulator moves from just above the top of the radiator shroud to the bottom. Up where the voltage regulator used to live is where the ABS module lives.

You can see from the exposed brake lines that the front master cylinder feeds into the ABS module above the radiator. Other lines run from the ABS module to the calipers.

If you look real close, you'll see that there is a new wire harness running from the ABS module to the front left caliper. That must be the location of the lockup sensor.

You can't see all of the plumbing for the rear brakes but you can clearly see one brake line running from the ABS module down towards the rear master cylinder. That leads me to believe that there is only one ABS module for the whole system (as opposed to separate modules). Also, one would assume that there is a new harness for the lockup sensor for the rear wheel. If we're lucky, they found a way to use the speedo input to sense rear-wheel lockup and there won't be extra wiring for a second lockup sensor.

So, a retrofit would involve (at a minimum) the following:
  • Prepare your wallet for carnage. If the factory option is $795, you know the necessary bits and pieces will run you $1000+.
  • Relocate the voltage regulator (not so bad) and the wiring (yuck) to the bottom of the radiator.
  • Install the ABS module (hope it doesn't interfere with crash bar mounts).
  • Add sensors and harness for the front and (possibly) rear lockup sensors.
  • Add wiring for the ABS module (I'm not sure what all it taps into).
  • Install new brake lines between the master cylinders and the ABS module.
  • Install new brake lines between the ABS module and the calipers.
  • Pray to your favorite deity that the calipers and master cylinders are the same.
  • Update your SERT/PCIII/TwinScan software because I'm willing to bet that the ABS module will introduce new codes to handle.
Not for the timid but certainly achievable...

We'll know more when we can look at the service and parts manuals.

Ghost

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
The front wheel sensor is part of the wheel bearing. I would assume that it would be this or speedo sensor for the rear. I would lean toward the bearing sensor because of accuracy.

·
Trailers R 4 Boats
1,271 Posts
Y'all kill me! and this is why I love this place. Shit hasn't been out more than a day that I know of and there are posts on how to mod the older bikes, F-ing awesome. :thumb: :rofl2:
What are the chances Harley adds this as a kit for the older models?

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Ghost said:
If you look closely at the gallery of the '08 V-rods on the H-D site you can see how the ABS is configured.

Note how the voltage regulator moves from just above the top of the radiator shroud to the bottom. Up where the voltage regulator used to live is where the ABS module lives.

You can see from the exposed brake lines that the front master cylinder feeds into the ABS module above the radiator. Other lines run from the ABS module to the calipers.

If you look real close, you'll see that there is a new wire harness running from the ABS module to the front left caliper. That must be the location of the lockup sensor.

You can't see all of the plumbing for the rear brakes but you can clearly see one brake line running from the ABS module down towards the rear master cylinder. That leads me to believe that there is only one ABS module for the whole system (as opposed to separate modules). Also, one would assume that there is a new harness for the lockup sensor for the rear wheel. If we're lucky, they found a way to use the speedo input to sense rear-wheel lockup and there won't be extra wiring for a second lockup sensor.

So, a retrofit would involve (at a minimum) the following:
  • Prepare your wallet for carnage. If the factory option is $795, you know the necessary bits and pieces will run you $1000+.
  • Relocate the voltage regulator (not so bad) and the wiring (yuck) to the bottom of the radiator.
  • Install the ABS module (hope it doesn't interfere with crash bar mounts).
  • Add sensors and harness for the front and (possibly) rear lockup sensors.
  • Add wiring for the ABS module (I'm not sure what all it taps into).
  • Install new brake lines between the master cylinders and the ABS module.
  • Install new brake lines between the ABS module and the calipers.
  • Pray to your favorite deity that the calipers and master cylinders are the same.
  • Update your SERT/PCIII/TwinScan software because I'm willing to bet that the ABS module will introduce new codes to handle.
Not for the timid but certainly achievable...

We'll know more when we can look at the service and parts manuals.

Ghost
Ahh.. why bother.. I got all I need right now... :D I know some have better braking skills than others. Personally I have never locked up my tires on my street bikes (at leat not for any amount of time that mattered) and I have had to stop fast several times. I figure with all that trouble and electronics (even if it was possible) it is just introducing too many points of failure and maintenance that isn't worth it..

In fact, if I was buying an '08 now, I wouldn't get the ABS.. I like to keep it simple for maintanability and reliability.. ;)

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Looks way to complicated I would get a new one!! It would be covered under warranty!!

·
Ryan
4,192 Posts
kfrey95 said:
What are the chances Harley adds this as a kit for the older models?
I would say zero percent. HD isn't in the business of selling ABS systems. They're in the business to sell bikes. They would much rather you trade in that old and obsolete 2007 on a new 08! :D

Like you said though. I'll leave it to the crack engineers on this site to figure out how to retrofit it. RJ... you can figure it out right? :stilpoke:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
One thing I learned long ago is the last part of a motorcycle I want to be "engineering" on is the braking system. If you want ABS you need to buy a new bike......

Personally, I don't have a 240 or a 5 gallon gas tank or ABS or a 1250 or a slipper clutch on my '03 so for me it's time to trade up. I've been waiting for them to put enough new technology on the bikes to make the trade worthwhile and it looks like '08 will be the year. BTW, 5 model years is longer than I have EVER owned a bike so I'm way past due.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
Ghost, if I thought you we're mkidding I'd have a laugh, but I sense you are serious so I'll stand by and admire what you do later...

MHO is HD would never, ever sell an ABS "kit" for any bike... WAY too easy to get sued...

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Ghost, let us know how the install goes and I'll stick to riding behind you from now on.... :D

HoldHard

·
Pale, acute, mobile
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just read the 2008 Technical Forum for the VRSC line and my initial set of estimated requirements for a retro fit was just the tip of the iceberg. There would be wheel bearing mods, frame machining, and more wiring changes than I originally anticipated.

In fact the document states the following:
Factory option for 2008 VRSC™ models; cost prohibitive to upgrade a 2008 non-ABS VRSC™ models.
If the manufacturer won't attempt to add the ABS system to a non-ABS-equipped model from the same model year, then attempting a retrofit on an older model is fraught with major uncertainty.

Still, it would have been a fun project.

Ghost

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Ray Connor who works at the KC factory had this post regarding a retrofit....

HoldHard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts