Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say I think the ABS on the 08 as an option is the best thing to happen to the vrsc line. Bikes have long needed the ABS technology, probably the number one reason I see for accidents among bike owners is locking up the front wheel and dumping the bike. Often done in panic stops and hard to avoid for even an experienced rider. THe ABS as an option brings our bikes into the 21st century IMHO and I wanted to thank Harley for stepping up and putting safety as a prime concern to it's motorcycles.

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
Max, any word on how much the ABS option is going to cost?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ergoguy34 said:
Max, any word on how much the ABS option is going to cost?
If I read the site correct it is an $800 dollar option and worth every penny.

·
Pale, acute, mobile
159 Posts
Max said:
...probably the number one reason I see for accidents among bike owners is locking up the front wheel and dumping the bike. Often done in panic stops and hard to avoid for even an experienced rider.
<chuckle> Been there. Done that. :banghead:

Ghost

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Max,

You know I'm one of the most vocal proponents of ABS so I agree with you 100% and would like to add my thanks to the MoCo engineers for keeping the VRSC the technological leader in the HD line up.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Front and rear link?

Title pretty much asks it. Is there any insight as to if there will be any front/rear linkage, or completely independent?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JustSam said:
Title pretty much asks it. Is there any insight as to if there will be any front/rear linkage, or completely independent?
My guess is that the system is still independent, I don't see the need to link them for ABS to function. In fact I really don't see the need for ABS to the rear wheel nearly as much as the front wheel is needed. A rear wheel skid is easy to maintain IMHO, a front wheel skid almost always results in the bike going down like a rock.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
One interesting point, the video says the ABS system uses a special bearing with an embedded sensor (probably a magnet) to sense wheel motion. That means any conversion to aftermarket wheels will require a Harley bearing. Since most aftermarket wheel manufacturers use a narrower (i.e. cheaper) wheel bearing it means specially machined hubs for wheels to be used on an ABS equipped bike.

·
Midwest Pimp
3,106 Posts
I agree also, but why is it (safety) an option?
I have never ridden a bike with ABS, but watched the video and seems like a no brainer to me.
Save cost, buy in bulk and streamline the assembly line to reduce the labor and win win for everyone...

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
mjw930 said:
Max,

You know I'm one of the most vocal proponents of ABS so I agree with you 100% and would like to add my thanks to the MoCo engineers for keeping the VRSC the technological leader in the HD line up.

I agree also, nothing wrong with being on the cutting edge! :thumb: To the HD Engineers for keeping us #1 in this department.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Usually retrofit of ABS systems isn't cost effective at all, as much as I would like to have ABS on my bike I couldn't see me even trying to retrofit a system to my bike unless they made a kit and the bearing was interchangeable with a stock size bearing.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Gary95 said:
I agree also, but why is it (safety) an option?
I have never ridden a bike with ABS, but watched the video and seems like a no brainer to me.
Save cost, buy in bulk and streamline the assembly line to reduce the labor and win win for everyone...
Most of the bikes that come with ABS have it as an option (BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Triumph, etc.). Still too many "old schoolers" that insist they can outbreak the computer :rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
mjw930 said:
One interesting point, the video says the ABS system uses a special bearing with an embedded sensor (probably a magnet) to sense wheel motion. That means any conversion to aftermarket wheels will require a Harley bearing. Since most aftermarket wheel manufacturers use a narrower (i.e. cheaper) wheel bearing it means specially machined hubs for wheels to be used on an ABS equipped bike.

Or put on a set of normal calipers and master cylinders and ride in the wind.

I have to say, I have not been a supporter of ABS on bikes but am very pleased with the simplicity and stealthness of the HD set-up. Congrats to HD for trying their best. I think all the work they put into this took away from designing accessories for the VRSC line. :stilpoke:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
o2man98 said:
Or put on a set of normal calipers and master cylinders and ride in the wind.

I have to say, I have not been a supporter of ABS on bikes but am very pleased with the simplicity and stealthness of the HD set-up. Congrats to HD for trying their best. I think all the work they put into this took away from designing accessories for the VRSC line. :stilpoke:
Or simply don't buy the option in the first place, it's you choice.

BTW, what more accessories could anyone possibly want for the VRSC? I mean come on, how may more do dads could you possibly hang off a V-Rod?

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I had a 2003 BMW R1150RT that had ABS back then. In Canada it was not an option or an upsell. This is about time for HD, but in my opinion if they really wanted to make a splash it shouldn't be an option, it should be offered as standard equipment. :2cents:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts