Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so on my way to work, this is my 2nd day riding a vrod, i stopped at a red light and just to check i locked up the rear brakes the bike just sled to a stop it was only couple of feet though so i did it again and the same thing happened. Is my ABS not working or does it need a longer sliding to activate?

I dont believe i saw the ABS light kick on as well.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
If you are locking the wheel the ABS should kick on.

when you start the bike the (ABS) light should be lit. Once you go over 3 MPH I believe it is this light should go out. If it does not light or does not go out after you have taken off then there is an issue and you should bring it to a dealer to get it checked out.

If the light is working properly and you have no codes I would take it to a dealer to have it checked out. From your description the ABS should be activated.

Is this the rear brake only? Have you grabbed the front brake to try to activate the ABS as well?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried with the front brakes but they are too damn strong and the bike stops without sliding and i don't want to go faster and drop the bike :)

I dont believe the ABS light ever comes on but i will go check it now and report back.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
You should get a pulse from either the hand brake or foot brake. Try finding some loose gravel, get it up to 15-20mph & grabbed some brake...see what happens.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
tried with the front brakes but they are too damn strong and the bike stops without sliding and i don't want to go faster and drop the bike :)

I dont believe the ABS light ever comes on but i will go check it now and report back.
I understand where as you are not sure if the ABS is working not wanting to grab a fistful of front brake. Slamming on your rear you should easily kick in the ABS on pavement. I test mine every so often and it does not take much to have it kick in.

Even if the lights are working I would have a dealer check it out. Let them test it as I am sure they can hook up diagnostics which would be safer than you locking up your wheels.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
No disrespect, but are you sure the bike has ABS? Others were told they had it, only to find out differently!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is my ABS not working or does it need a longer sliding to activate?
I don't think so. On mine, the ABS kicks in before skidding and any skidding that occurs after that is VERY limited.

Dumb question: Are you sure that it actually has ABS? The quick way to check is by the VIN. (I got this from somewhere on this forum):

... on the 08 the 5th and 6th letters on the vin mean this:
HD = VRSCD Night Rod; HF = VRSCAW V-Rod; HH = VRSCDX Night Rod Special;
HK= VRSCAWA V-Rod with ABS; HL = VRSCDA = Night Rod with ABS; HM = VRSCDXA Night Rod Special with ABS.

So your 5th and 6th letters on the frame VIN should be HM. If they are HH, you have a non-ABS night rod special.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was told it has ABS and there is a light in the middle of the speedometer that says ABS but that light never turns on i do have the keyless system and i thought you could not get the keyless system without the ABS. How can i tell if i have ABS or not?

I don't think so. On mine, the ABS kicks in before skidding and any skidding that occurs after that is VERY limited.

Dumb question: Are you sure that it actually has ABS? The quick way to check is by the VIN. (I got this from somewhere on this forum):

... on the 08 the 5th and 6th letters on the vin mean this:
HD = VRSCD Night Rod; HF = VRSCAW V-Rod; HH = VRSCDX Night Rod Special;
HK= VRSCAWA V-Rod with ABS; HL = VRSCDA = Night Rod with ABS; HM = VRSCDXA Night Rod Special with ABS.

So your 5th and 6th letters on the frame VIN should be HM. If they are HH, you have a non-ABS night rod special.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just checked with harley chicago service department and gave them my vin number and there is no ABS the head unit is generic so unless the light lights up there is no ABS on the bike :( i don't think i got a good deal any more :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was told it has ABS and there is a light in the middle of the speedometer that says ABS but that light never turns on i do have the keyless system and i thought you could not get the keyless system without the ABS. How can i tell if i have ABS or not?

you are right no ABS mine 5th and 6th is HH :banghead:

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
Who told you the bike had ABS?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bummer.

I happened to run into a seller with a 2008 VRSCDX with a security system. I assumed it also had ABS, but it didn't. The previous owner had installed the security system after he bought the non-ABS model.

Just out of curiosity, did you buy this bike in Oregon?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
naa MD and the seller is a good guy i am sure he will give me couple of hundred back but i really wanted the ABS. according to him the dealer told him it had ABS he is going to look through the sales paper work to see if he can find it in writing but chances are slim as the VIN does not point to an ABS :( oh well i guess i will buy some HIDs and put some money towards the sundowner

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
naa MD and the seller is a good guy i am sure he will give me couple of hundred back but i really wanted the ABS. according to him the dealer told him it had ABS he is going to look through the sales paper work to see if he can find it in writing but chances are slim as the VIN does not point to an ABS :( oh well i guess i will buy some HIDs and put some money towards the sundowner
Wow...you can't trust anyone to do their job. I'm a little pain in the ass when I shop for anything, case in point; the other day went to home depot to purchase replacement bulbs for my outdoor lights. The first employee said they don't have them, I didn't like his lethargic attitude so I grabbed the next guy I seen, he said, "sure, I know exactly where they are".

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
Wow...you can't trust anyone to do their job. I'm a little pain in the ass when I shop for anything, case in point; the other day went to home depot to purchase replacement bulbs for my outdoor lights. The first employee said they don't have them, I didn't like his lethargic attitude so I grabbed the next guy I seen, he said, "sure, I know exactly where they are".
IMHO -- it's always good to let a manager know that the store is potentially losing sales because of a lazy employee. Makes it easier for the store to get rid of the useless folks and give jobs to those that actually want to work for a living.

·
Registered
92 Posts
IMHO -- it's always good to let a manager know that the store is potentially losing sales because of a lazy employee. Makes it easier for the store to get rid of the useless folks and give jobs to those that actually want to work for a living.
If the bike is having ABS, light will blink under 20km/h, that mean ABS is not on service. ABS goes on service only after 20km/h speed.

If the seller said the bike's have ABS and in fact there's none, you should go back!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts