Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see many people whether in a shopping/sale thread or model specific forums asking for ABS. This is a relatively new thing on bikes. I've never had it in the 20 years Ive been riding till now.

Is it a must have? I also saw someone say that they had to get theirs fixed already?

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
its extra insurance incaseshithappens i guess.
the future of motorcycles will be in traction control, abs, power management, ect..
we might as well get used to it

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm one of those desiring ABS. Look on youtube and there is a video put out by harley showing ABS equipped and non abs equipped in emergency braking. The ABS equipped bikes maintained control and stability, especially in wet conditions.

I've been riding about 2 years with over 10k miles so far (lost alot of time last season due to being unemployed) My second week riding after my riders edge class had a teeny bopper nearly take me out. We were the only ones on the freeway, in a straight stretch and I was overtaking. Just as I got to her bumper, she came into my lane. It was pure reaction as I grabbed the brakes, heard tires screach, dropped 25MPH, and was back on the gas before i realized what happened. Then when i got to thinking of it I started shaking. There was nothing else I could have done.

So based on this experience, I want ABS if I can possibly get it. Will I rely on it to keep me safe? Nope. But I figure its one more tool in my bag to hopefully keep me alive.

Sadly its hard to find ABS equipped models. I am looking out of state currently. I wish they had kept the AW in production a couple years so i couldda ordered it new.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
personally, i think you'd be nuts not to get it, if it's available. and i've been riding off and on for 20 years too - it's just there when you need it, and in the rain it makes a noticeable difference for sure

·
Registered
329 Posts
I wonder what the difference is in the dry? Does it increase stopping distance at all?
ABS NEVER increases stopping distance. Either in a cage or a bike. Thats a myth that the opponents of ABS have been trying to claim and its been dis-proven time and time again. I have seen many videos by independent testers that show this.

On a bike you will stop faster with the ABS modulating vs melting your tire off and sliding on a pool of hot rubber.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
ABS on bikes ROCKS! BMW was the first to introduce it. While rear-wheel lockups can be dangerous, front wheel lockups have an even greater potential for disastrous results.

ABS prevents wheel lockups by modulating (pulsing) the brakes automatically (versus the old practice of "pumping" the brakes in an emergency braking situation).

After riding it on my DX for the last 8 months, I can't imagine ridng a 2 wheeler without it. Even on dry-road stops, you can "grab a handful" of brake with pretty much no worries about sliding the front wheel.

Can't even begin to figure why ALL VRSCs don't come standard with it - or why anyone, given the choice, would not DEMAND THEM.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Top class rider on a road he knows might be able to out brake ABS, but not every time and he would have to inspect the road before trying the heavy braking. Cage without ABS is very different as you have lots of tire on the road. Look at your front tire and see the 1" wide strip by about 4 to 6" long doing all the gripping, help from ABS has to be welcome!

Next bike will have it or no sale!

·
Registered
375 Posts
No question my next bike will have anti-lock. I rented an '11 Muscle in Orlando, and while driving through construction during rush hour traffic the right lane was clear and moving so I was doing about 35-40, left lane stopped when some BEEE-ATCH pulls right out in front of me. No doubt ABS saved me from a crash (most likely ass over tea keattle). With the road all torn up and stopped traffic in one lane, I had no other options/escape routes. The ABS worked GREAT, didn't have to think about it, just let the natural WHOOOSHIT take place.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
yes to ABS...reason:cause it stops you with more controll in most situations. you can still steer & maneuver the bike while ABS is engaged. saved my ass quit a few times. the only thing i see ABS being questionable is when the ABS kicks in & you hop over a bump or imperfection in the road & the bike shoots forward, same thing happens with a car. go with the ABS, it's worth the xtra coin.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I have two bikes right now...Street Glide w/out ABS and an AW with ABS. I'd rather ride the AW in Houston traffic, which often looks like a scene from Mad Max. I've never had to engage it, but I feel better knowing it's there if/when it is needed. With the Street Glide I make sure I leave a much larger safety gap between me and what's in front of me to compensate. It pisses people of sometimes, but there's a few phrases for my response...

When you have one of those "oh shite!" moments, I doubt you'll say I'm glad I didn't spend the extra $'s for ABS. In my opinion it's worth it...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I guess that I am in the minority here...I wouldn't spend the extra $$$ on it but I won't fault anyone for doing so.
I have had to grab a handful of brake at times, even laid a bike down at age 16(lesson learned) to avoid going airborne when an old lady pulled out and stopped in my lane when she saw me. That was 1981 so abs was not an option but it would not have helped.

I wouldn't walk away from an abs bike, I just won't pay more for it.:cheers:

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
ABS on the VROD as good as the BMW or Honda versions?
yes absolutely - in fact better than where BMW has gone IMHO. I have both a pre-ABS and post ABS V-Rod and a 2001 BMW K1200LT. My BMW was pre-integrated brakes ( you activate front or rear brake, the other is automatically activated on integrated models). I love the non-integrated ABS, and HD's is every bit as good as the BMW ABS. However the later integrated brakes I do not care for at all - when I'm at low speeds, I do not want any front brake being applied, and it's very difficult to trail-brake in turns if you need it (OK a sign of a rider entering too fast, but you'll have that).

One difference is that on BMW's you can bleed the entire ABS yourself with an owner's manual and a bit of skill, with the HD setup you need the dealer's digital tech to activate the ABS to bleed them. BMW is set up with seperate control ( the lever/pedal) and wheel (ABS unit to the brake caliper) circuits. Each circuit on each wheel has to be bled seperately. On HD there is only one bleed required per wheel, but the dealer has to be involved to do it correctly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just purchased my bike Saturday. Could have bought a floor model w/o ABS or find one w/ ABS. It's a must have for me. It doesnt have to save your ass everytime, just once. My skin is worth $1195.

I foresee ABS becoming a standard option on bikes in the near future.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Personally I wouldn't have ABS for the following reasons:
1.I've never needed it so I wouldn't pay extra for it , I have never locked up a front wheel in my life.Its very easy to lock the back wheel though i'll admit , so if you mainly use the back brake I can see the point.
2.Its purpose is to prevent the front wheel from locking so should you manage to lock the front wheel then the ABS is going to release the brakes then reapply them then release them etc etc. If the reason you grabbed a handful of front brake was to avoid hitting something you are still going to hit it.
3.I tend to run older bikes.Unless you activate the ABS regularly then the pump will seize eventually through lack of use.Ever priced up an ABS pump? If you buy a new bike every few years this is obviously not a consideration but one of my bikes is a BMW GS and most of the guys on the GS forum are removing the ABS and Servo's when they fail due to the extortionate cost of replacing the parts.

Steve

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
wish id known you couldnt bleed the brakes on a vrod with abs without the digitech at the dealers cos i actually managed to do exactly that,without the digitech.just sucked the fluid through the bleeders and topped up the res no problems.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts