Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 40688-08 is for the touring bike. Does anyone know if it is interchangable for the 40689-08?

Tomorrow I'll be at the dealer and will check sensor part numbers.

Other than the mounts they look the same.

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
I would say no, Are you trying to add ABS to a NON-ABS bike if so your going to need a new wiring harness, you would be better off trade it in on an ABS bike.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that is exactly what I want to do. I'd buy an ABS bike, but they don't make a R with ABS. For that matter, they don't make what I want with the Rev engine.

I have it sorted out, and it is nearly time to start tearing into it and buying parts. I ask because I can get a 08 touring unit from a wreck at a good savings.

Since the V-rod item is made to mount below the next the block machining is different. Electrically and hydraulically the units are pretty much the same.

Thanks for the input.

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
It will be intersting how it works out. I want to do the same thing with my R. I am just looking for a totaled ABS bike to sourse all the parts from. I am sureit will be a long while before one turns up locally. Until they have another model with mids in the future, I will never own a new v rod again.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I know with cars and trucks the ABS units are calibrated for weights and sizes of the vehicle.Wouldn't this be an issue using a heavier bikes unit in the lighter v-rod????

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vinny,

Good point and I have considered it. The R is 620 wet while the Electra Glide is 780. Not the difference that cars versus trucks see. I plan to add saddle bags, top box and fairing so I'll add a few pounds to the bike.

A bigger concern for me is that the R has 300mm rotors while the EG uses 292mm rotors and thus different calipers. The point of concern is the volume of fluid displaced by the pumping action of the ABS module. I don't know the internal volume of the EG calipers as compared to the R calipers. I'm assuming all SS braided lines so the volume doesn't fluctuate and therefore is static for calculations.

I haven't checked the part numbers of the calipers, but will do so. If different (I'm sure they are) then I'll stick with the module designed for the V-rod calipers.

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
It will be intersting how it works out. I want to do the same thing with my R. I am just looking for a totaled ABS bike to sourse all the parts from. I am sureit will be a long while before one turns up locally. Until they have another model with mids in the future, I will never own a new v rod again.
any 06-later models can easily be converted to mid-controls

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found chrome calipers for 06+ VRSC models are the same as 08+ touring models. So, either ABS module should work.

I'll be making custom mounts and wiring harness since the mounting location won't be the same as OEM (I'm not relocating the battery).

Once I have it done and know the results I'll post a "how to" or a "Oops" thread.

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
dont forget youll need an ecm so it will control the abs

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The ABS module has a seperate ecm. I checked on this at the beginning of the research stage since I initially thought that I may need a new bike ecm load for the ABS. This isn't needed due to the seperate ecm.

The ABS light is controlled by the data bus instead of being a seperate line, so I've already picked up a new guage cluster from an 08.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input, but I already got the touring module. Outlet location isn't a problem since I'm adding ABS to an R.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dont do it.... u dont understand and i am not going to elaborate... it will not work if not oriented correctly! I am trying to save u from yourself!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Dont do it.... u dont understand and i am not going to elaborate... it will not work if not oriented correctly! I am trying to save u from yourself!
I would listen to this guy if I were you. He knows about what he's talking about.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I already paid for it, so unless there is solid reason not to, I'll test it.

And Yes; I don't understand.

What could be the orientation issue? Other than top up, wet hoses to the correct locations, and electron flow to the correct locations I don't see an orientation concern except momentum. The V-rod unit faces the direction of travel and the touring model is mounted sideways to the front.

If this is the issue, then I can mount it with the same orientation inside of the fairing. This isn't for a replacement of a defective unit, this is a new install. Mounting and location are undetermined at this point.

All things being equal, it appeared that the units were functionally the same, so getting a slightly used 08 item for $200 instead of an out of the box 08 one for $800 is way I got it. This being said, if it won't work I'll get the other one, but I'll install and try it first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts