Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Scott
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke to a H-D engineer today and was told that ABS can NOT be installed in existing V's. Sorry guys.

.
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
has this really been something that alot of people wants to do? I have riden a bike with abs and personally I didnt like the feel of the brakes
 

·
Proud R Pilot
Joined
·
372 Posts
What!

If it will work on new bikes, it can be retrofit.......Now, it might be an expensive retrofit!
 

·
Chrome is king!!!
Joined
·
20,269 Posts
Donwe said:
If it will work on new bikes, it can be retrofit.......Now, it might be an expensive retrofit!

You would have to do a lot of work. For starters the electrical harness is different. The new bikes have the regulator below the radiator and the ABS module where the regulator is on the older bikes. From what I've read the speed sensors are in the wheel bearings, so either the axel or maybe the entire wheel setup is different. I haven't checked, but the calipers may also be different. In the end you will spend A LOT of money and it still may not work right.
 

·
Proud R Pilot
Joined
·
372 Posts
unless the axel diameters have changed, no big deal, and wiring is just wire, how they control it would be the only issue.
 

·
Tired of the crap
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
From a practical perspective it is simply not feasible. Harley is offering no upgrade kit or path. It requires a different wiring harness.

If any genius out there wants to go and make their own ABS-equipped V-Rod, go ahead.

Come back and tell us about it when you are done.
 

·
myvrodrocks
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
I don't care what any HD tech or dealer says...if it can be built, it can be modified. May not be practical....but mark my words...say it can't be done and someone will do it!
 

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
Joined
·
14,572 Posts
Just because it can be done (and I agree, anything is possible) doesn't mean it should.... time and cost are one thing, even if you get'r done how do you test it?.... how do you trust it?..... how do you insure it? how do you justify it over buying an 08 WITH it from HD?
 

·
Subluxation Free
Joined
·
172 Posts
Has anyone tried the TCB Brake Systems?
This only costs $79.
www.tcbbrakesystems.com is the website.
I'd like to know how well they work?
 

·
myvrodrocks
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
Johnny HotFoot said:
Just because it can be done (and I agree, anything is possible) doesn't mean it should.... time and cost are one thing, even if you get'r done how do you test it?.... how do you trust it?..... how do you insure it? how do you justify it over buying an 08 WITH it from HD?

I agree...but the guy that started this thread acted he like he is making some sort of announcement....sorry guys. First, everyone has known this for 2 weeks and second, why boast such a claim when it is wrong?

"can't be done" is just beggin to be done...
 

·
myvrodrocks
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
myneed4speed said:
I agree but I never seen someone dump so much money into a "safety" Mod.

Sorry but that is kind of lame...don't you think? I mean people will spend 5k$ on a turbo, and 10-20k on chrome wheels, fat tires and mono swingarms...I don't think there is any price you can put on safety...is there?
 

·
Gone
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
Sorry but that is kind of lame...don't you think? I mean people will spend 5k$ on a turbo, and 10-20k on chrome wheels, fat tires and mono swingarms...I don't think there is any price you can put on safety...is there?
Of coarse not. But aren't you agreeing with me then? When was the last time someone spent 2k on a safety feature? Even when most guys step up the brakes it is usually for looks over safety. They safety part is just an added bonus to the new sweet looking 6 piston caliper.

Hmm 5k for turbo or 2k for ABS...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
746 Posts
Not to take it off topic, but really, ABS? I mean it just seems like Mfg's are trying to make bikes easier to ride rather than encourage people to REALLY learn how to ride. Look at the stats, bikes are not more dangerous, they are just more popular and too many inexperienced riders that want to point and go. I would spend the money on a used dirt bike and go take my lumps and learn how to handle a bike. Just my .02
 

·
myvrodrocks
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
vroddrew said:
From a practical perspective it is simply not feasible. Harley is offering no upgrade kit or path. It requires a different wiring harness.

If any genius out there wants to go and make their own ABS-equipped V-Rod, go ahead.

Come back and tell us about it when you are done.

Everyone says it needs another wiring harness...so buy the wiring harness, buy the radiator shroud with the voltage reg mount...like I said, probalby not practical...but I guarantee it can be done...
 

·
myvrodrocks
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
myneed4speed said:
Of coarse not. But aren't you agreeing with me then? When was the last time someone spent 2k on a safety feature? Even when most guys step up the brakes it is usually for looks over safety. They safety part is just an added bonus to the new sweet looking 6 piston caliper.

Hmm 5k for turbo or 2k for ABS...

Yes ..exactly. I see what you mean. 600$ for chrome calipers but not 800 for brembos...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
h2oV said:
Not to take it off topic, but really, ABS? I mean it just seems like Mfg's are trying to make bikes easier to ride rather than encourage people to REALLY learn how to ride. Look at the stats, bikes are not more dangerous, they are just more popular and too many inexperienced riders that want to point and go. I would spend the money on a used dirt bike and go take my lumps and learn how to handle a bike. Just my .02
ABS won't make bikes easier to ride or less dangerous. It will allow the rider some margin of error in panic situations or poor road conditions. How can this be a bad thing? Thinking your skill level makes you immune from hazards is the most dangerous aspect of street riding. Sorry about the :eek:fftopic:

Mike
 

·
RIP ALEX
Joined
·
2,033 Posts
Anything can be retrofitted. I seen a Dodge Neon with a 426 hemi in it. Anything can be done. I personally would love to have ABS on my R.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top