Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally have all of the order in for my bike with the exception of the sales guy telling my that the bike does not come with ABS. From what I have been reading on the forum about the ABS it is definitely something that I want. The problem is I really can't pass up this bike as it is currently the only one in stock and they probably won't get a 2011 Night Rod in stock with ABS before my return to the states.

My question is, is this a 'factory only' item? Or is it something that the local HD dealership can install?

Any experience with this?

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
There is one with ABS somewhere in the USA. Don't sweat it! It's one of the best things to get fitted to a motorcycle, it's very involved so factory is best. Factory orders are not that long, salesmen will tell you anything to get the sale!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
If I was going to get a V-Rod TODAY, it would DEFINITELY have ABS. I don't care how good a "deal" they're giving you. Wait for one with ABS

·
Registered
51 Posts
I finally found a "new" used 08 NRS with ABS but I had to travel 600 Km to get it! ABS was a must have for me. It is amazing how few in 08 at least, came with ABS. Out of the used ones for sale I bet not even 10% had ABS. I would hold off and get what you want especially since you are buying brand new. There will be others guaranteed. If the dealer wants to sell to you then he will find one with ABS for you.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
find a different dealer. Hell, they should be bending over backwards to have one transferred in for you. ABS, better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it. I have the scars and titanium plates to prove it.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
there's some threads on this around here somewhere. it's basically not possible to add after market for anything like a reasonable cost. too much involved. wait for one that has it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Get the ABS. Check other dealerships for a bike.

Yes, you can add it at about 3x the cost if you do the work yourself. A dealership won't add it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ive got ABS on my 2011 DX and love it! I would highly recommend it. I was in the same problem but the dealer ordered a bike directly from the manufacturing plant for me and it took about 5 weeks but if they have one in another dealership they'll transfer it over even quicker. Since you're travelling, may work by the time you get back.

Call the Harley in your city and deal with them on the phone and put down your deposit on a CC and have them order it the way you want it. They'll do anything to get the sale

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies! I am pretty sure I knew I wanted ABS I think I was just talking myself into the deal to save some money. I think piece of mind is better.

The deal is through AAFES exchange through military sales. Unfortunately this is the only bike they have in stock, so I will either have to bank on another coming into stock or just wait until I get home. As for the deal I know it's good, because I already called two dealers back home and both of them said that they could not beat it.

Looks like I will just wait and see what kind of deal they can make when I get back.

Thanks again for all the advice, I am definitely going to go with ABS!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
While the timing may not be good; check with the vehicle sales rep on a purchase after you return. I don't recall the time frame; but believe you can still get a bike 90 or 120 days after returning from deployment. Keep copies of your deployment orders.

The overseas sales rep can still complete the sale for you since everything can be done via internet.

Yes, it is a good deal especially for popular bikes. But, the dealers can get close if they want the sale.

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While the timing may not be good; check with the vehicle sales rep on a purchase after you return. I don't recall the time frame; but believe you can still get a bike 90 or 120 days after returning from deployment. Keep copies of your deployment orders.

The overseas sales rep can still complete the sale for you since everything can be done via internet.

Yes, it is a good deal especially for popular bikes. But, the dealers can get close if they want the sale.
Thanks I didn't know that. I will keep that in mind! The issue with military sales now is that HD is no longer allowing them to special order any VRSC model, including the Night Rod. So in order to get them you have to wait until they are in 'stock'. They currently have one, but it does not have ABS, and I am not sure when or IF they will get another with ABS. For now though I am going to wait as I made up my mind and definitely want ABS.

And Geeman - I don't think all 11 DX models come with ABS. It is definitely a factory option. The only thing I don't like about the option is that it comes with an HD security system as well. I think the option is about $1300 from the factory. And for now I can tell you that the bike they have is stock does not have the ABS.

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
thanks i didn't know that. I will keep that in mind! The issue with military sales now is that hd is no longer allowing them to special order any vrsc model, including the night rod. So in order to get them you have to wait until they are in 'stock'. They currently have one, but it does not have abs, and i am not sure when or if they will get another with abs. For now though i am going to wait as i made up my mind and definitely want abs.

And geeman - i don't think all 11 dx models come with abs. It is definitely a factory option. The only thing i don't like about the option is that it comes with an hd security system as well. I think the option is about $1300 from the factory. And for now i can tell you that the bike they have is stock does not have the abs.
search the classifieds here her and get a garage queen for cheap compared to new.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
def. hold out for the ABS...it saved my ass numerous times and THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE.

·
Fear the Reaper!
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well gents, it seems a little patience has paid off. HD has just allocated a 2011 Night Rod with ABS for military sales and I got it! Not to mention that the bike is already built so I get to take delivery as soon as I get home!

Thanks again for all the advice on the ABS. I am super happy with the decision to wait and know that it will pay off sometime in the future!

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
The ABS ROCKS!

As good as any Bosch implementation I've ridden, and a LIFESAVER (literally).

Any bike you ride hard & fast, needs to be able to STOP just as fast.

I've had morons whip out in front of me, and the ABS has made the difference between a fast controlled stop, and fanning the brakes to bleed off speed quickly and maintain control at the same time.

As commented - you CAN add it - but even if you wrench it on yourself, it would take a great deal of RESEARCH to get a complete parts list. It would require replacements of most (if not all of the wiring harnesses). Swapping out all of the brake lines - re-arranging all the wiring between the side covers. You could do it, but it would NOT BE FUN.

For what amounts to about an $800 factory option, it would be well worth it to TRAVEL to a dealer that will accommodate your needs.

http://www.cycletrader.com/Harley--...2011:2011&zip=33012&radius=any&sort=year:desc

Jeeze that's a long link but cycle trader shows 121 '11 DX's for sale. Go get you one...

Rick

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats. I was in the same boat. Tons of NRS's without abs for great deals (used) but I waited and waited and finally had to go 600 Km to find the one I wanted and I am so glad I did. Otherwise I would already be thinking about getting my next bike with ABS. Hopefully this will keep me from buying another bike for at least two seasons! Safe travel home and enjoy the new bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts