Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Oppressed Liberator
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was wondering (more curious than anything), is it possible to install ABS on a non ABS '08 or '09 VRSCDX?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
It is possible on an 08 or 09 but it isn't practical considering the price and what all must be replaced.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Not sure about your model, but the first step is to check your wiring harness to see if it is different. If it is the same except for the ABS sub-harness it is more or less plug and play. If the harness is different than it will take more time and $$. Some have advised that the battery and other stuff is moved between models. I never checked, since the 06 R never had it, so I need to find space for everything.

Your gauge set and fuel level sensor are the same so no issues here.

You already have 25mm axle, so no issue with the axle, rear brake bracket, pulley, or spacers.

I don't know about the wheels since I never checked the part numbers. The ABS bearing is 18mm wide versus 15mm for the none ABS bearing. If a spacer is used for the none ABS bearing, just remove it. If not, then you may need new hoops or maybe you can have them machined.

The pump is a $800 item (the ECU and pump are one unit), the cost is lower from on-line sources. I picked up a used touring model pump from eBay for $220. They are machined slighly different for the mounting brackets. My plan includes a fairing so I'll do a custom mount.

The fuse box for the ABS bikes has an ABS fuse, so it is inline or a new box.

Finally, you'll need the wheel sensors, new brake lines, and whatever connectors are needed to get the electrons to the correct places.

Due to liability issues, no dealer will touch this type of mod. This is not a first time wrench effort and if you don't have good electrical skills you shouldn't touch the harness.

Work and a messed up home project (the contractor abandoned the effort:mad:) have kept me from starting my project . Hopefully, things will be sorted out in a few months.

Most on the site will recommend trading the bike in for one with ABS.

Good luck.

·
Oppressed Liberator
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bikerider58, and everyone else, thanks for your responses. I don't really plan on taking on this project but was just curious. I don't have much wrenching experience, I do have plenty of electrical experience, but I would probably just trade in for an ABS V down the road. As for now, I'm loving my NRS!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts