Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just food for thought for all you gear-heads and speed-freaks.

Question:
If you need to avoid an impending crash where you can not brake fast enough to avoid impact, just how do you lay down a bike with ABS brakes when they don't allow you to lock them up?

Laying a bike down is the #1 way to save your own life in the event of an impending front crash. I'll keep my reliable Brembo's and continue to be in control of my own destiny.

·
Registered
878 Posts
spanman said:

Question:
If you need to avoid an impending crash where you can not brake fast enough to avoid impact, just how do you lay down a bike with ABS brakes when they don't allow you to lock them up?

Laying a bike down is the #1 way to save your own life in the event of an impending front crash. I'll keep my reliable Brembo's and continue to be in control of my own destiny.
bEEN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
spanman said:

Question:

oh God, here we go again....

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has this come up before? Sorry hav'nt seen a thread on this topic.

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
"Laying a bike down is the #1 way to save your own life in the event of an impending front crash."

This topic falls into the category of politics, religion, and synthetic oil...guaranteed to start a heated debate.

:stilpoke:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DFinch said:
"Laying a bike down is the #1 way to save your own life in the event of an impending front crash."

This topic falls into the category of politics, religion, and synthetic oil...guaranteed to start a heated debate.

:stilpoke:
I'm good at that, what would you guys do without me.
Besides how else can you handle an unavoidable front impact situation.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The ABS may help you avoid ever having to lay it down

·
Registered
690 Posts
Quick question, when the bike is upright with or without ABS you have some control over steering your bike while applyig the brakes (hard). Im assuming that with ABS the same as in a car you have even more control and steering ability under heavy braking. How do you control the bike when its sliding on its side? How do you stop it from catching anything and tumbling at that point? How do you keep from sliding under or in front of other oncoming traffic? Ive only laid one down once and it wasnt on purpose, it was because my rear wheel was locked and the next thing I was sideways, then down on its side. I had no control what so ever once that bike was off its wheels. I was simply drug along for the slide. Now if there is a way to steer and control it on its side, and there very well might be, I need to learn it. So if anyone here knows how, please share it with me in detail. It has to be in detail as Im not interested in dumping one of my rides to learn how to do it.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Last night I had a car pull right in front of me and I had to brake hard to go from 45 to 0. I stopped, thankfully, but the rear locked before i backed off. The ABS would have been great to have for me last night.

·
Turbo Lover
140 Posts
One night I was riding on the freeway in the right lane and was glancing over too long at a car changing lanes on my left. When I looked back, the cars in front were dead stopped and I was not going to be able to stop in time. I ended up locking the rear tire and fish tailing. However, with each fish tail pointing right, I let up on the brakes slightly to steer me right as I was skidding. I ended up to the right of the car with no damage to anyone or my bike. It would have been much easier with ABS.

Riders talk about laying the bike down to avoid high siding as opposed to low siding when the bike is laid down. You can't control a bike once it is sliding on its side. You'll both hit the car ahead, although your risk on injury will be less.

I think it would be preferable to avoid the object instead if possible.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
spanman said:

Question:

Damn seatbelts....If I am about to head on a truck, I wanna be able to open the door and jump out. How am I going to do that with a damn seatbelt on?!?!? :bash:

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Perfectly true, but it is ONE item in a complex equation. With ABS, most riders are far less likely to find themselves heading for an inevitable impact. I've put the bike down and sat on it precisely once in twenty five + years of riding, and if I'd had ABS (or been more awake) I'd have been able to steer round the dopey, incompetent old fart.

Also (thinking about it) that was on a single disk Bonnie on cruddy TT100s back in 1981. On a modern performance bike, I reckon I'd have stopped faster by using the brakes and tyres, even WITHOUT ABS.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Throw the bike either direction, there won't be enough traction. I doubt if ABS can beat the laws of physics, or gravity. You're gonna be releasing the brakes as you try to get off the damn thing anyway. Then, you'll have the the ABS you'll ever need (Ass Butt Scrapin').

·
Registered
511 Posts
LL Cool K said:
Throw the bike either direction, there won't be enough traction. I doubt if ABS can beat the laws of physics, or gravity. You're gonna be releasing the brakes as you try to get off the damn thing anyway. Then, you'll have the the ABS you'll ever need (Ass Butt Scrapin').
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
LL Cool K said:
:thumb:

Also known as A Burning Scrotum. :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
:moped: When I bought my D the dealer said if hit the left and right turn signal at the same time the front portion of of the set would eject sending me far above any danger below.:stooge:

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
First of all.. I'm not sure that if you have time to lay your bike down and not fly in the back of that car you wouldn't have time to stop if the brakes were applied properly.. These vrods can stop very fast with the brembo brakes and I am sure with ABS, they could stop even faster.

I just keep thinking that if you lock the back up and kick it out to get the slide going, that takes a lot of distance and you haven't slowed much at all.. Seems that if you just applied the brakes and were able to maybe vear to one side or another right before impact in a controlled way that would be better.

I am pretty sure that my first goal would not be to lay my bike down if I was going to rear end someone or thing.. Of course the safest thing is to give yourself more time to react and don't ride the bumpers of other cars.. I see people doing this all the time.

·
SS
139 Posts
Your first line of defense is how you ride. It's a war on the roads and everyone's out to kill you. Don't assume people see you. Avoid being in people's blind spots. A louder pipe doesn't hurt either.
If you apply both brakes equally, you shouldn't have to lay it down. You have a better chance go around something vs stopping in front of it. You can't tell what will happen in a slide situation.
Everyone should take a rider's safety course regardless of experience. It's fun, you get insurance discounts, and you brush up on riding skills. Most places offer advanced rider training.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts