Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the inside info on ABS bleed. I'm changing out the handlebars on my 2011 VRSCDX and need the extended brake line. However being an ABS brake model I'm told I will require an ABS bleed as well. I hoping someone might let me know what's involved? I really want to do this at home if possible.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Sounds like time to consult the manual...

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Stealership has to do the bleed routine via computer. A ripoff, no doubt. Had it done on my '10 VRSCDX while I watched, takes all of 5 minutes (less actually). Brakensystem is bled normally, then computer forces ABS on to purge air from that part of the system.

Rick

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Stealership has to do the bleed routine via computer. A ripoff, no doubt. Had it done on my '10 VRSCDX while I watched, takes all of 5 minutes (less actually). Brakensystem is bled normally, then computer forces ABS on to purge air from that part of the system.

Rick
what did they charge you for this procedure?

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
what did they charge you for this procedure?
It was part of some other work being done - first time, for pullback handlebars (requiring front line replacement) - which I rode for about an hour, hated and swapped the stock ones back on.

2nd time, when the motor was pulled for the head work, I grabbed my rearset to powercoat the silver stuff - requiring a bleed.

Most stealerships have a minimum charge - so if you got in solely for an ABS bleed, they'll try and whack you for at least the minimum. If you're getting some other work done, you can probably get them to throw it in - or if you're still under warranty, tell them "the brakes feel spongy" and ask them to bleed them.

Rick

·
Registered
976 Posts

Rick
My local dealer quoted me two hours shop time plus fluid !

I have a 08 I think it maybe time to change it .

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
FAWWWKKKKK!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I'm swapping in a longer front ABS line this weekend and now I'm gonna need to go thru this stealership bullshizzle???? :banghead:

·
Registered
976 Posts
FAWWWKKKKK!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I'm swapping in a longer front ABS line this weekend and now I'm gonna need to go thru this stealership bullshizzle???? :banghead:
Let us know what they charge .Remember I`m in Canada .The dealers in the US maybe kinder .

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Call them on the time and ask to see the procedure and how long it really takes. they can pro rate the charge if need be.

Tell them you are not paying for the BS time in between the work.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I was gonna do a brake fluid change but have been stuck on the research of speed bleeders. My front and rear sizes definitely are different. Any of you end up using speed bleeders on your DX's? Where did you buy them from? I'm pretty sure one is 10mm and can't remember so I could be wrong but I believe the other size was like 3/8's?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts