Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody has a 2012 NRS with ABS, Are you liking it? I am still trying to get used to it. It feels somewhat unnatural. Comments, Opinions?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You shouldn't be activating your ABS on a daily basis. If you are...you are doing something wrong OR there is something wrong with your bike. I have yet to have my ABS go off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If anybody has a 2012 NRS with ABS, Are you liking it? I am still trying to get used to it. It feels somewhat unnatural. Comments, Opinions?
I have a 2012 NRS with ABS, and haven't even noticed the ABS. So I guess that means it feels quite natural, although I don't live on the Wet Coast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You shouldn't be activating your ABS on a daily basis. If you are...you are doing something wrong OR there is something wrong with your bike. I have yet to have my ABS go off.
Step on your back brake and test..... Also I do test it to see how well the bike performs, I need it in order to know how much it can brake in case of emergency.

Thanks nevertheless

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2012 NRS with ABS, and haven't even noticed the ABS. So I guess that means it feels quite natural, although I don't live on the Wet Coast.

You will feel strong pulsations on the controls. It does not go un noticed.!

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
Maybe you should understand how ABS works and how it works on the bikes. Here is a video, hopefully it will clear up any confusion you have and or let you know what you are experiencing is correct. Also if you are jamming the rear brake to test it that is one thing, I hope this is not what you do to come to a stop. Most of your stopping power is from the front brakes. You should be grabbing a fist fill of the front as well if you want to test to make sure both are working.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Step on your back brake and test..... Also I do test it to see how well the bike performs, I need it in order to know how much it can brake in case of emergency.

Thanks nevertheless
It is smart to know what your stopping capabilities are. It will feel very unnnatural as the pulsing in the brakes can be felt. My previous bike didn't have abs so I am used to emergency braking without ABS help, I look at it as a tool for "just in case my braking skills can't handle it".

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The main issue that I found in comparison with my car, is that my car blocks the wheel one microsecond then liberates it, then blocks it one mili second and then liberates it, and stops working as soon as it sees that the wheel does not get blocked.

With the Harley ABS first it will never completely block the wheel, not even for a tenth of a second, and also one the ABS kicks in, it keeps on until you stop the bike. This may seem very nice, but for example the other day it got activated when I went over a sewage plate in a curve, and kept on going, and as it does not block the wheel, you get a really weird braking, like if you grab the front brake handle and let it go.

This happens even if the wheel is not showing any signs of becoming blocked. From what I read, the ABS from the Harley detects the speed of the wheel, and it it thinks that it may be blocked because you are braking to fast, it will activate it, even before the wheel gets blocked.

This is annoying as the stopping distance is longer....

Does this make sense?

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
You lost me with your use of the word "blocking"? I am not sure if I understand what you are trying to explain.

One thing I picked up on is the breaking in the corner. Why are you breaking in a corner? You should be at the correct speed entering the corner and accelerating through the corner. Not breaking in a corner.

Did you watch the video I posted? Even there it states not to break in a corner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You lost me with your use of the word "blocking"? I am not sure if I understand what you are trying to explain.

One thing I picked up on is the breaking in the corner. Why are you breaking in a corner? You should be at the correct speed entering the corner and accelerating through the corner. Not breaking in a corner.

Did you watch the video I posted? Even there it states not to break in a corner.

I am sorry, by blocking I mean locking the wheel. I was entering a drive way that had a surprise sewage man hole, and that is why I used the brakes-.

I also saw your video, It was also in a DVD i got from my dealer when I bought the bike.

Does this explain better the above? Thanks for your input.

TD

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
It sort of explains what you are saying better however I have a few thoughts:

1. Even without ABS if I saw a metal grate in the road or sewage drain I would make sure I did not brake at all. Those can be slippery and you are more likely to loose traction under breaking and or even accelerating.

2. The ABS for your HD should be pulsing the breaks about 7 times per second which is the vibration you feel in your hand and foot if you apply the breaks hard enough to activate the ABS. If you activate the ABS and let off the brakes the pulsing should go away. Are you saying that the pulsing does not stop when you let off the brake?

a. Also in an emergency breaking situation you would want to apply the breaks and keep them applied until you come to a complete stop and the ABS should keep working at this time until you come to a stop.

3. Ideally you really never want your wheels to lock on a two wheeled vehicle. If your back locks up you can have the ass end slide out from under you. If the front locks you can have the wheel turn left or right causing the bike to dump really quick. ABS is designed to prevent the wheels from locking up. This is so that you can come to a stop, without loosing control.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
I am sorry, by blocking I mean locking the wheel. I was entering a drive way that had a surprise sewage man hole, and that is why I used the brakes-.
Also under these circumstances I am fairly certain that if you did not have ABS you would have dumped your bike. Going over this man hole at low speed and grabbing the brake you would have most likely lost traction and tipped over. Not for sure but I would put money on it.

I guess it may be better for me to ask what it is you expect the ABS to do or how you expect it to perform?

Note: ABS can kick in under a washboard road even with light breaking. This is something I and others have noticed. Knowing this one should take extra caution on certain types of surfaces. Over all however the ABS will assist you in stopping your bike in a shorter distance without loosing control in most emergency situations.

To test get your bike up to 30 or 40 MPH on a straight clear road. Grab the front brake and hit the rear at the same time as hard as you can. Watch how fast your ABS equipped bike comes to a stop. This bike stops on a dime with ABS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The main issue that I found in comparison with my car, is that my car blocks the wheel one microsecond then liberates it, then blocks it one mili second and then liberates it, and stops working as soon as it sees that the wheel does not get blocked.
Testing proves ABS is a benefit. The video explains it all. If you are experiencing ABS activation often, you are braking way too fast, or have improper expectations (of any motorcycle). If you don't think you are braking too fast, feel free to take your bike to the dealer and have them check out the system.

From the video: "In summary, here are some key points to remember: Even with ABS, your bike must be upright with wheels straight in order to brake safely. And when braking in an ABS event, apply consistent pressure throughout the pulsing action."

In your example, I would fully expect the ABS to kick in - although I would agree with $uicide $hift in that you should avoid obstacles if possible and not brake in a turn as you did. If your brakes activated when you ran over the manhole cover and you did NOT touch the brakes, you should have your system checked out by the dealer.

The ABS sensor is going to sense wheel speed over a period of time. If the wheel speed decreases too rapidly while braking, that is how the system knows that the wheel is susceptible to lock up and pulses the brake instead. Your car operates the same way, it does not wait for wheel lock up to engage the ABS, nor does it completely lock and release the wheel during the pulses either.

·
Registered
215 Posts
just my 2 pennies here...
Although you should avoid braking hard in a curve, it can happen if you come around a blind or partial blind and there is an accident or something in the road you cannot avoid. I know that the Motorcycle Safety Courses teach emergency braking in a curve....apply increasingly firmer as you straighten upright. obviously if you lock it out while your turning you'll end up sliding on your a$$, but yeah. just my two cents.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
I know that the Motorcycle Safety Courses teach emergency braking in a curve.....
Yes they teach you to straighten the bike up right before breaking in a curve if you consider that breaking in a curve...

I have attended the class twice and never have they taught breaking in a curve. Maybe an advanced riding course if you are going to be on a race track but when riding on public roads breaking in a curve is a no no.

About the only way I would agree with this is if you came into a situation where you could not straighten the bike before breaking and you are going to hit an object no matter what. At that point you may want to break to lay the bike down and slide rather than hit it head on.

Although this post is not about that type of situation. This is about how ABS is working and if it is working properly. In the OPs post he clearly stated he was turning into a driveway and saw a metal man hole. Why he felt the need to break in this situation I am not sure. I can say with confidence however that breaking should not have been needed here unless he entered the corner too fast and needed to break to avoid over shooting the turn. If that was the case then the answer would not be to break, it would be to slow down and enter your corner at the proper speed.

Bottom line every time one of these issues comes up we get somebody stating how you should or can break in a corner. Read the thread and understand your input here is not helpful in any way.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Bottom line every time one of these issues comes up we get somebody stating how you should or can break in a corner. Read the thread and understand your input here is not helpful in any way.
I read the OP. I could say a lot right now but ill be the bigger man. No need to be a D!(* about it.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
I read the OP. I could say a lot right now but ill be the bigger man. No need to be a D!(* about it.
You consider an opinion being a dick? Sorry not even close.

Clean the sand out of your vagina! Now that is being a dick.

See the difference?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts