Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had purchase a bottle for my 07, side mount plate, new rear turn signals and a rear 260. But after looking at the HD web site on the 9th I decided to order the 08 rather than spend a lot more on a bore upgrade.
Here are some new things I found out. Only 3 model for 08.
-CD AW and DX.
-1250cc engine. 105mm bore 72mm stroke. High flow cast cylinder heads as used on 06 CVO/07 VRSCX. Are they ported?.
-Close loop system. With 2 02 sensor. You will be able to fine tune each cylinder. And with a SERT even better. No more problems riding from ocean level to the mountains. This is the future for all bikes.
-Removal of the ARC (automatic compression release) on the exhaust cams due to a new larger battery. You will not be able to retrofit to prior models.
Wonder what the rumble on the TH's sound like with out ARC.
-ABS a big plus. For another $800.00 like the ones use on police bikes. Will give you better control on quick stops. Will also safe lives.
Non-linked ABS system with separate circuits to front and rear wheels. ABS module located above radiator. ABS system with it's own wire harness.
-New speed sensors. Something to watch for when working on the front end axle. The 08 ABS system will not retrofit to earlier models. Something you guys won't like to hear I bet.
-Updated Front Breather. Updated front cylinder breather hose has new internal ribbed design with improved sealing. Will retrofit to 2005 models. Be carefull not to drop fasteners or shims in exposed breather hole when removing air box.
-New Slipper Clutch. Reduced clutch lever effort and provides lowest clutch effort of any HD models out there. Reduces rear wheel hop when downshifting rapidly. The clutch basket remains unchanged, clutch plates, pressure plate, hub and lifter plate are all unique and retrofit to all prior VRSC models. Now, that's really good news for older model owners. Then again braking has always been an art for most bikers.
-New with improved material 105mm head gaskets. Will not retrofit on prior models.
-New rear drive sprocket profile changed to accommodate wheel, new bearings and axles.
-New hollow steel axles. I hope my old caps fit.

New for all HD models Jiffy stand interlock switch. Sounds like the perfect feature when you go bar hopping. Bike will not start if jiffy stand is down while rider attempts to start bike in gear. While running in neutral, if the jiffy stand is not retracted before putting bike in gear, bike will stall. Prepare to e embarras your self here and there.
If jiffy stands drops while rolling in gear, the instruments and tell tale lights will flash and odometer will display message (SidE StAnd) I will pass on it. I love the old stand. Very reliable when use properly.
Last but not least a new rubber shift peg with improved retention.

All the new improvemets gives new definition to the DX. And since the SE V-ROD is not for 08 it moves the DX up the food chain.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
08 Colors

BlackDenim/ Vivid Black strips
Vivid Black/ Gray strips
Vivid Black/ Orange strips. "They copy Gunny's bike."

·
Now on a VRSCDX!!!
604 Posts
sounds like a bunch of malarkey to me... oh god now I know how shovelhead riders feel

·
Registered
284 Posts
i am in

you guys stay behind the times, keep adding money. the bottom line, is u will not catch up with the future.
i am in. and have place a order. o6 d needs the lastest tech.:bash: :stooge:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Its about time HD decided to install a side stand disabling device. I have almost looked like a jerk on a few occasions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Will the 08's have the same MSRP as the 07's did but with the bigger engine? As in, $16,5k now buys a 1250cc?? If so - dammit all! else - fine with me if you have to pay for the larger displacement. If it is the same, I don't know what I'll do.

·
REGUL8
891 Posts
Been there done that on the side stand

I dont know how many times I have road away w/ stand down. One time to 110mph.... Holy Sh!t......

·
Biker 4 Life
270 Posts
I will keep my 07. There is no way I will switch bikes just for those changes. A lot of the changes makes no difference to me what-so-ever. Love my DX.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
Xtreme1 said:
I will keep my 07. There is no way I will switch bikes just for those changes. A lot of the changes makes no difference to me what-so-ever. Love my DX.
:them:

·
Registered
51 Posts
price of the 08 DX

Was in the dealer this weekend...theyhad an08 with the orange stripes and with ABS...asking 18,500.... we added another vrod to the family...07 W vivid black...got a great deal with the push to get rid of the 07's...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Humm seems like the 08 DX is not that popular..... yet. Here we are with lots of new 07 DX's being delivered and a lot of posts and great reviews about it including from my self. With not so favorable posts for the 08 so far she is out there though. The new kid in the block with all that new stuff on it ready to go for any one interested almost at the same price as the 07's. Vivid Black and all. With factory "options". From what I have read here so far seems to me perhaps I'm making a mistake.
Reading similar posts on the General Forum (7-11-08) the reaction was less visceral not to mention the posting of very positive and factual comments made by members of the forum that really elevated the debate about the new 08's and the new features. They helped me make my decision to buy an 08. For any who wants to get good info and need to decide wich way to go find that thread.
I also talked to the service dep. at my dealer. They were I have to say very nice to give me, us the tech lowdown on the 08 DX models from the service dep. perspective. In other words the info I posted in regards to not just the new stuff but what you can or can't retrofit. What mods you can do and how. What limitations etc. I think this can help decide the members to: keep, keep as is, retrofit to what year or model or buy new once the cost is factored in.
The 1250 engine, a 35% stronger clutch and the close loop system along is a considerable upgrade for me and will make a good plattform for the future. With no ABS option for me I still think it will save lives.

Don't let the proverbial emasculated motorcycle dark ages boogeyman scare you away from the future.

I will defer to the wisdom and good will of the MOCO on my choice but suggest others to do their own factual checking about the 08 DX talk to your dealer. Me, I like to put my money where my mouth is. I will soon enough be posting on this here thread to let you know if it is a grim or gloat. Delivery August 16th I hope.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Some of the features of the 08 Bikes are sweet. I especially like the hollow axles as they should be lighter.

Enjoy whatever you ride, new or old.

There will always be a new bike on the way, HD needs to sell bikes faster than the bikes wear out. They necessarily trickle feed improvements and style changes.

I'm loving my O3, the 180 tire provides excellent handling, and with a carbon body kit, cowl, and wheels I still love it's fantastic looks. It's also pretty much new, as I have another bike as a daily rider.

TW I bet that the ASB **will** retofit if you are determined. The MOCO have to say it wont because they dont want the liability claims possible with retrofitting onto untested and already modified models.

I retrofitted the Brembo brakes onto my 03 with zero difficulty and the ABS systems even has it's own wiring loom.... Gotta be possible.

Rodman

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
mattsmusic said:
Who needs all that crap when you've got a vivid/denim... :laugh:
:them:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts