Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a transmission issue with my 03. There is a good possibility that I have a bent shift fork. The V-Rod tech I'm thinking of spending my money with has told me that when he splits the cases, that he recommends replacing the lower case main bearings according to what he learned at HD V-Rod school. Now I may have misunderstood him to mean all mains, upper & lower, but I think I heard him mention only the lower case mains. Has anyone heard of this being necessary when the cases are split? The guy I have in mind was a HD dealership tech for 9 years & opened his own shop about 6 months ago. I get a real good feeling talking to him & he sounds like he knows his s**t. I just found it a little weird that the main bearing halves should be replaced. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Chas

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... The V-Rod tech I'm thinking of spending my money with has told me that when he splits the cases, that he recommends replacing the lower case main bearings according to what he learned at HD V-Rod school. Now I may have misunderstood him to mean all mains, upper & lower, but I think I heard him mention only the lower case mains. Has anyone heard of this being necessary when the cases are split? ...
Whenever the case is split the crankshaft main bearings must be replaced.

There are two main bearing pairs one on the alternator side and one on the clutch side of the crankshaft. These come in three different sizes; 24409-01K (red), 24410-01K (green), and 24411-01K (blue). The size required is stamped on the crankshaft counter weight.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whenever the case is split the crankshaft main bearings must be replaced.

There are two main bearing pairs one on the alternator side and one on the clutch side of the crankshaft. These come in three different sizes; 24409-01K (red), 24410-01K (green), and 24411-01K (blue). The size required is stamped on the crankshaft counter weight.
Very interesting to know this fact. Although I don't understand exactly why. I own an auto repair center so I know about auto engines, but I was unaware about this fact about the V-Rod. You have just reassured me about the knowlege of the tech that I'm interested having repair my bike. Thanks. Chas

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
You have just reassured me about the knowlege of the tech that I'm interested having repair my bike. Thanks. Chas
What town is this tech in, if I may ask?

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
He is in Watertown CT. The name of his business is Orange & Black. The # is 860-417-3093. Just remember, if you call him, my bike comes first!:D Chas
Thanks. I was just curious.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Very interesting to know this fact. Although I don't understand exactly why. I own an auto repair center so I know about auto engines, but I was unaware about this fact about the V-Rod. You have just reassured me about the knowlege of the tech that I'm interested having repair my bike. Thanks. Chas
Buy the service manual for your motorcycle.It's filled with information.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
slipper bearings are held firm by a correct ammount of squeese.when dissasembeled they will no longer retain that squeese enough to reuse.that is the best reason to not reuse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts