Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an Ontario resident intending to buy a bike in Quebec. The local Licence Bureau said I would pay the 5%(GST) at the dealer, and they would collect the 8%(ON PST) upon registering and plating the bike here. The dealer, however, wants to collect the 7.5% QC PST, and I have to try to be reimbursed, eventually, by the QC Gov't. The person at the Lic. Bur. said you may NEVER collect from the QC sales tax people. (Gee, a taxpayer getting screwed by a Govt. agency...how could THAT happen??)
Anyone know of an exemption I can claim?
I could refuse to pay, tell them its a deal breaker, but its a good deal and I want the damn bike.
Anyone been there, done that???
Appreciate any input, Harry

·
Registered
172 Posts
See if there is an exempt section for non residents. Also see if they can use Ontario transfer papers via courier. Is the Bike new? If it is, there should be a few options. Call other dealers in Quebec and see if you get the same story. Check with your own local office to see what they suggest. You have time, as it is winter in Canada:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. The bike is a low mileage 2008 VRSCD. The Lic. Bur. person suggested they show "Delivery to Ontario" in the PST box on the invoice.This may involve extra paperwork for the dealer which they seem reluctant to do. I planned to trailer it home myself, ( its about 1 1/2 hrs away). I am reading thru the Sales Tax Statute in an attempt to find a reference to non-residents being exempt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that link...I had never heard of an "Export Sale"...that might work. Another Q&A on the site talks about the seller giving the purchaser the amount of the tax upfront and being repaid after the refund. Thats not likely to happen in my case.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad to wrap this up. Told the dealer I just wasn't prepared to pay the Quebec sales tax. Nothing like the threat of losing a deal to focus the mind.They concluded they had been wrong. I suspect they also figured out that there weren't that many buyers out there at the end of November.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I had a digital camera I'd be happy to, but I don't. Lately, a couple of people have mentioned acquiring one of the 08 Miller Lite bikes. That's what this is,( a U.S. import, obviously).Its not that I went looking for one. I have a 2006 R, and like it, but decided I wanted the lower seat of the D. Since 08 was the last year for the mid controls, that narrowed the search, (and as a bonus I get the slipper clutch and the 1250 motor). I was planning to pick it up Sat. but now they are calling for snow flurries, so prob next week. Regards, Harry

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The original ad said 1500, and I'm certain that will be miles not kms. When I questioned the Import procedures, they said HD Montreal handled it. When I said I thought Can Tire had to do the RIV process, I got a "Oh Yeah, thats right...."! We'll see.
If it wasn't so damned cold, I'd put a plate from another bike on it and RIDE it home!

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
well the good about this is you don't have to cross any border, i did it for 3 v-rod the last one was this summer for my F, everytime i had to leave the trailer and the bike to a locker close to the border to get the paper work done; took about 3 days

i was using just a small open 4x8 trailer and 4 bender in the front to the fork and one in the back strapped in the wheel make sure to use nice soft rag under the bender, be careful when you push it in the trailer and out. oh yea i was letting the bike on the stand and handlebar turn to left. don't overtight the bender.

Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like you are following in patm's footsteps. I was grateful for some of his suggestions when I was trying to buy a non-current 2008 D in upstate NY earlier this fall. (They sold it to another dealer while I was waiting for them to agree to my lowball offer).
With the dollar close to parity, it may well be worth all the BS to shop S. of the border.

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
well back in 07 somebody here in quebec some dude explain to me how to do it, he was importing porsche, form anywhere in us, the first time was kind of nervous letting my bike close to the border for 3 days, but it was in a commercial locker, cost about 90$ for the month. have you check lespac.com or kijiji ? but yes you might find better deal S of border.

My B in L paid last winter 9500$ for his 08 D miller with 180 miles exchange rate was about 5%; it was a bike from member here.

M

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
10k and less are great price,
i tried is D this summer and love it right away much better than my DX as far as handling, actually he smoke me on our first and only time we drag light to light:D well smoke me just one bike lenght only héhé

did not race him yet with my F:D next summer

so you still plan to pick up the D in quebec ?

M.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking at weather and traffic. Might try Sunday. Changing tires and packing the bearings on my trailer. (Its used 3 or 4 times/yr, no spare, been neglected...)My son had wheel bearings seize on HIS trailer this summer. Thats a great way to screw up your day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts