Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched to a 26t Pulley this past week and when the bike was reassembled I noticed that my left Arnott Air Shock squeaks when hitting bumps and at different height settings. Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing the squeaking noise. It seems to only be the left shocks (my left while sitting on bike). Never had any issues with these shocks until this week removing the buttom nut of the shocks was necessary to lossen the belt for the pulley change this is the reason the lower shock bolts were removed. The sqeaking is definitely more noticeable when the shocks are extended into a higher positon. Any info greatly apprecaited.

Thanks,

Dino

·
Brick in the wall
1,125 Posts
Make sure that the airline on that side is not crushed or disconnected. Could be that side is not gettin air. This could cause the squeak. Bike can become unstable at high speed also so watch it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dino,
What settings do you run?
N

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Make sure that the airline on that side is not crushed or disconnected. Could be that side is not gettin air. This could cause the squeak. Bike can become unstable at high speed also so watch it.
If it is disconnected then the whole tail will drop.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the tension supposed to be set at? I had the work done by my local bike mechanic I was going to swing by this week.

I did notice that it squeaks a lot more when the shocks are extended out then when the bike is in a lower position and it really squeaks when I hit pot holes and unevened pavement.

·
Brick in the wall
1,125 Posts
If it is disconnected then the whole tail will drop.
Not if its after the manifold The one side will stay inflated holding up the bike and the other side will only appear to be inflated. Ask me how i know

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
What is the tension supposed to be set at? I had the work done by my local bike mechanic I was going to swing by this week.

I did notice that it squeaks a lot more when the shocks are extended out then when the bike is in a lower position and it really squeaks when I hit pot holes and unevened pavement.
The belt is supposed to deflect a certain number of tick marks on the lower belt guard viewing window/scale under a 10 lb. load. Can someone confirm for me how many tick marks or millimeters it's supposed to be? HD sells ($15?) a gauge that allows you to put this 10 lb load on the belt.

My guess is that when your shocks are extended, it's loosening the belt due to the position of the swing arm. As it gets looser, it squeaks more. When the shocks are lowered, the swing arm comes up, closer to horizontal with the bike and tightens the belt which will cause the noise to disappear or decrease.

Worth checking the tension before you start pulling apart your suspension.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts