Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Talk to the boot!
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for all the California V-Rod owners.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Your poll doesn't list my situation:

I have two 49 state motors that I've modded for "Race applications only..."

At some point I have to try to get through DMV for license & registration, but have not tried yet.

·
Talk to the boot!
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah good point! :plause:
I too have a 49 state model and have modified it for "Race applications only..." and most certainly should have had that option. What a dufus! :bash:
Anyway, I just registered mine in state last month. I have the SE air cleaner, 16 Ga pipes, ECM redone, and they didn't even care. All they checked when inspecting the bike were the VINs and mileage. Then back inside to run the VIN, pay the $165, get a plate and that's it.

I thought there'd be more to it, too. Guess not...
:vrod:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I guess I don't understand why anyone would care about the charcoal canister, it takes 0 hp away from the engine and keeps fuel vapors that are some of the biggest problems with autos out of the air. Do not disable this system.

·
Talk to the boot!
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there more than just the vapor cannister that is different on the CA model? When looking to get my 'Rod I remember the 49 state model had 115hp claimed, the CA model only 98!! Where did the 17hp go? ECM programming?

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
The 98hp bikes are for overseas.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Vinny is right, those were for overseas and in limited numbers for just a few countries. I think it is a hp limit thing. Your CA bike makes the same HP that the 49 state bikes do. By disabling the canister all you do is dump raw fuel vapor into the air.

·
Registered
158 Posts
So here comes the obvious question. If the CA model helps with emmisions and does not affect HP, then why wouldn't they have just done it on all of the motorcycles? (I'm not disagreeing, I'm just curious!)

·
Talk to the boot!
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, the international model is the 98hp one. I wonder how I screwed that up. :confused: Thanks for the info, guys.

Actually the real reason I have a 49 state model is that none of the local dealers had one back when I was ready to buy. So I searched the 'Net and hooked up with Barnett's HD in El Paso. Had a nice 3 day ride back to bring her home, too!

Then six months later the local dealer calls... :rofl2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts