Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on another motorcycle forum and was looking for some info and found this vrod forum:dance:

FIrst some history, I had a honda 450 when I was 13/14. It was the model that only had a shifter no clutch. Had alot of fun and said wonder when I was rich I would buy a harley. Well ant got the rich part figured out but after looking at about any metric bike 1200cc or better seems I can get about any entry level HD for the price of said metric bike. SO it did not take much thought to figure out where I would be looking at first. Though I figured telling mom and dad I was saving every penny till feb and then some to buy said bike would be harder then finding the bike( surprisingly dad was rather supportive) "I would rather you buy a harley now then a small metric bike and sell it and buy a Hd loosing money later" was what he said. I still think he figures he will look better riding MY harley then a honda shadow. Ya thats going to happen. I have not been on a real motorcycle since I was 14. A few dirtbikes and alot of scooter riding though. We owned two scooters and just sold our 150 it just did not do it for me.

I am a big guy 6'5'' 482 pounds. Though I am loosing some weight and 12 pounds short of a weight goal before I get gastric bypass. SO the weight will not be a issue in a year or 2.

After spending a hour or two looking at the harley site I went to dad and asked what he thought I should look at. He told me to look at the sportster, and some of the lighter cruiser bikes. He then told me about the vrod and I looked it up on ebay. It did not take me 5 seconds to fall in love with the bike. SO 3 days later of looking studying and looking at every harley from the sportster to the trikes. I think the VROD muscle in denim black is my bike. Though I want some thoughts on if I am going toward the right bike.

I plan to take the beginner course before or right after getting the bike. Depends on if they will have a bike at the class big enough for me. I have not been on a motorcycle in 12 years but am at home on two wheels with a dirtbike or scooter. :D

So would you recommend the vrod muscle for a newbi in my size?
I am being told to go used and toward a dirt cheap bike. here is my concern. If I spend 5k on a shadow or what ever it would be 2 or 3 years before I could go harley new or used. SO it is go with it now or wait a few years and I do not really want to. I have waited on a bike because I want a nice one. SO if I buy a used shadow and drop it denting the gas tank I would still be fixing it on day 2. SO the you might or rather when you drop it your going to pay for it does not bother me so much. So going new is not a real concern. My issue is one of the kids of a few different friends that come over getting on it and knocking it over and plan to fix that with a add on to my garage or one of the portable garages they sale around here.

As for my personality when it comes to things that go fast. I do not feel the need to blur everything around me. I am as happy going 50 or 60 as I would be going 100 and hoping the cop on the road is sleeping. I would be riding mainly city, county and state road in southwest indiana down to evansville and up to indy. Probably 100 mile trips for the most part maybe a run out a few hundred miles to some town somewhere and spend the night and ride home. Mainly pointless riding just to be riding. Not planning any runs to Vegas or daytona fl. If I did I would probably trailer the bike there. The road around here are mainly curves and hills with some straight runs for a mile or 2 at the max.

Also how does the bike handle in the curves and such vs the other cruiser harleys?

Well I think that covers it for now. Sorry for the long post wanted to give as much info as I could.

Also am I looking at paying msrp for the vrod muscle? FIgure if there not to common now it would be likely.

·
pronounced "shane"
441 Posts
When working a deal on your new Muscle, you could always try to work in a day rental on one of their v-rods and use that at the riding school. Or just rent a v-rod, take it to the rider's course, then buy your Muscle. I always wanted a sportster, until I rented a v-rod. There is nothing like a revo engine. You are too large for a sporty, and still will be post bypass.

There is a lot of wisdom in starting small and working your way up. On the other hand, I never owned anything larger than a 250, and it was 14 years between my last 250 and my street rod. I just took it easy until I got the hang of it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I figured I would be post aswell. 6'5' hoping for 250 to 275 then 275 to 300 or so when I build up some more muscles. I do not want to be one of those flabby guys though I do not expect to be a body builder either just want alittle muscle. DO most HD dealers rent the vrods? I like that idea alot. Thinking about getting my permit test out of the one soon. No reason not to and it would be one less thing when I do the class. Then when I finish it I can roll over to the bmv and get the full endorsement since the class counts as the skills test.
When working a deal on your new Muscle, you could always try to work in a day rental on one of their v-rods and use that at the riding school. Or just rent a v-rod, take it to the rider's course, then buy your Muscle. I always wanted a sportster, until I rented a v-rod. There is nothing like a revo engine. You are too large for a sporty, and still will be post bypass.

There is a lot of wisdom in starting small and working your way up. On the other hand, I never owned anything larger than a 250, and it was 14 years between my last 250 and my street rod. I just took it easy until I got the hang of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought my first bike yesterday, an '03 Vrod. I was thinking about starting off smaller but loved the looks and a few of my buddies ride them and talked me into it. I have never riden a motorcycle in my life and after 10 minutes in a parking lot, I was out on the road and I love it. The bike can be as big as you want it to be. It will cruise, or you can hammer it and it will take off. Handles pretty well. Don't know about how much difference there is in the '07 and above with the 240 tire, but the 180 is great. If you can afford it, get it.

·
Registered abUser
299 Posts
I just bought my first bike yesterday, an '03 Vrod. I was thinking about starting off smaller but loved the looks and a few of my buddies ride them and talked me into it. I have never riden a motorcycle in my life and after 10 minutes in a parking lot, I was out on the road and I love it. The bike can be as big as you want it to be. It will cruise, or you can hammer it and it will take off. Handles pretty well. Don't know about how much difference there is in the '07 and above with the 240 tire, but the 180 is great. If you can afford it, get it.
Man, I hope you plan on taking a rider course.
Self learning is not the way to go if you want to survive riding in todays traffic. Any fool can go in a straight line at speed - it's the other parts that the course is about.
I've been riding for a year now, and the course was the smartest thing I did at that time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I plan on taking one when ever there is an opening. They fill up fast around here. Also if you take the course here you can test out of the riding course for your license.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked with a guy yesterday who was riding a road king. He told me his buddy let him on his 09 with the 240 tire. He told me his buddy told him to hammer it when going from 1st to 2nd and he said popped a whelly and said the 240 tire give alot to the bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it is the same thing with indiana. Not worried about the skills test but any way to avoid a bmv test is a good one. You know I might go get the book and see if I can knock out my permit test in the next day or so
I plan on taking one when ever there is an opening. They fill up fast around here. Also if you take the course here you can test out of the riding course for your license.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Big,

Hey man...I know where you are coming from. With your size a Sportster would be a bad bad idea. It's designed for women or people under 5'6"---true fact. Stay away from Sportsters.

The Muscle is a great bike---the one disadvantage with having a Muscle more or less as a first road bike right out of the gate is the expense if you drop it or crash it. That is why people might be telling you to start on a cheaper bike for the first 6 months to a year. Dropping a $17K bike while getting your feel for the road would be an expensive lesson. It does happen quite often with new riders. By new rider I don't mean knowing how to shift gears or twist a throttle. The physical act of riding a motorcycle isn't the challenge. The challenge comes in with negotiating emergency stops due to stupid cagers and other obstacles, oil/gravel on the roads, and all that comes with being "fresh meat" out there on public highways. That takes time to get used to and lots can happen to someone not used to the hazzards. Most folks I know drop bikes, knock them over in the garage, or have some disaster in the first few thousand miles until they find their "groove". If you have the money then no worries...go for it.

The Muscle isn't really a cruiser...it's more of a hybrid between a cruiser and a cafe racer. It's not like a Softail. Those are big and clumsy in the handling department----I logged quite a bit of miles on a Fatboy. The VRSCF handling is good---similar to a Dyna.

In summary....if money isn't an issue then get the Muscle. If your riding skills are "iffy" and there is a chance of dropping it then factor that into your buying decision---it can happen. A dropped HD is not cheap to fix.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Buy a dirt cheap bike like a lil shadow, get your license and all that jazz for the first year. Next year sell it and switch to your Harley.

You do not want to learn on a nice bike. ESP a bike with the power of a VROD.

Last year I rode an 85 Honda Shadow 500. This year an 09 DX. I tell ya, in the end, a bike is a bike is a bike.

·
prostreet challenger
41 Posts
learn first on smaller/cheaper bike

i am a insurance damage appraiser and the most wrecked harleys i look at are from riders that went from a dirtbike when they were a kid to a big harley. i came over from the sportbike world (raced for 20 years) and i still have a small fleet of motocross bikes and i can
say the v rod is a differant animal then alot of bikes. low speed steering is slower due to the rake and it is almost 700lbs vs the 150lbs motocross bikes. take a riders course and start with a smaller bike at first . after a few weeks/months on the smaller bike it will be alot more comfortable/safer/funner for you .
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
340 Posts
I went from the dirt bike riding environment and then bought a Vrod, it took some getting use to, but go out early mornings and practice, within a week or so you'll feel pretty comfortable and then take the riding course. Cannot tell you the key little details I didn't know that the course taught me, highly recommended!!

·
Registered abUser
299 Posts
Unlike most, and against good advice I did go straight from no riding experience to riding the vrod muscle. I'll say it can be done. It's not a good idea, and if you cannot afford a drop, then it's an extremely bad idea.

The 7 day course I took was essential. Even after that, I kept learning. Went for a group ride months after and found myself in trouble in a corner that more experienced riders easily negotiated, however the course did save me and the bike, as I knew what to do when I found myself on gravel at the side of the road. That could easily have been the end of the bike and my riding as the drop off was a 10 feet deep with a rock wall. :chair:

Good luck, stay safe.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to the dealer in bloomington and they had a 2009 vrod muscle. They had signs that said feel free to sit on the bikes this is a motorcycle shop not a motorcycle museum

It fit rather well. Low enough I did not have a issue getting on or off, but not to low. The seat fit me well and I did not feel like I was hanging off the seat. The only thing I noticed was I was hugging the tank or what I think is the tank. Ant the "tank" a fake or something since there is no gas cap. Then it seem my foot liked to hug close to the pipe which I could see causing a burn issue. I think as I loose weight the hugging the tank will let up. My dads thought was it will be a issue with any bike made like the vrod.

ALso it was a new 2009 vrod muscle had the harley security system and a upgraded exhaust. They wanted 19,999 for it which seemed high for the fact it is a 2009 and the msrp is 17,999 on the 2010. is it high or about right with the add ons?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sounds high to me especially since it is a 2 year old bike. They out to be ready to deal on the bike. By the way if you are financing HD has a great 1% rate on the Muscle right now. Don't even consider a sportster. I am 5'8" 230 pounds and I felt crowded on it not to mention the brakes were so weak that they scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya you would think they would. They probably have been getting hit hard to deal so they start high and drop some. Getting what they want and making the customer(aka sucker) they got a deal. When I was 15 we had a computer store and sold at a local flea market/auction and people wanted a deal. Most of our guys would go there and sell one two or maybe three. They sat there waiting for someone to hand them money. When I went dad gave me 10% not a hourly wage and alot of time it got me out of a day of school here or there so no problem with me. I would get everything set up turned on and working. Dad gave me a price list with the computers numbers 1 to what ever. If the price was 350 I listed it for 400 or 425 I would take to the customer and they would ask me what kind of a deal I would give them for cash. I normally dropped down to the list price which was still a deal. The customer would leave happy and I would end up making 100 to 200 bucks a day and for 15 that was some cash.
Sounds high to me especially since it is a 2 year old bike. They out to be ready to deal on the bike. By the way if you are financing HD has a great 1% rate on the Muscle right now. Don't even consider a sportster. I am 5'8" 230 pounds and I felt crowded on it not to mention the brakes were so weak that they scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that was also a 2010 up grade. SInce I will be buying the bike in feb. I am hoping I will get a good deal on a black denim 2010 module.

Is the security system worth the cash?
They want too much for that one. Should be in the 16 range plus add ons. BUT Make sure you get a bike with ABS.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would not recommend a muscle for a newb. Be careful, its a great bike, but Perhaps something you should aspire to own after a few years of riding.

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
Good luck with the diet, I did it 14+ years ago and still a success, hope yu reach all your goals

1 - 20 of 31 Posts