Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Electric Really Sucks ( Juice )

Yea, T.T. about time we got to the era of disruption ! I was getting tired and bored. I'm all for advancements in all areas but humans do really stupid things under the cloaking of efficiency, political correctness, anti-racism etc. Fighting or stopping climate change with electric vehicles is another one. If anything more black soot with Mercury in it will be landing on the glaciers that are melting anyway if we don't lead the introduction of mass electric with clean power so let's hope that will happen. In the meantime I'll avoid the group hug if you're not visible and later when you're not looking I'll be the guy carefully affixing " Powered by Coal,Petroleum and/or Uranium,Plutonium " and " I Contributed to Global Warming ! " bumper stickers on your battery bike parked out back of the local bar sucking on the extension cord. Hope that doesn't hurt your feelings, it's just good friendly fun ! :blahblah: :D

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Great story, very talented young man - there is hope in the younger generation ! I rode one it was capable but fun in a motorcycle / electric appliance kinda way - Now if engineering would just hand him a small gasoline engine/generator and half the battery pack size to have a place to put it we'd be all set. Smooth Electric Torque, no gears or clutch lever and unlimited range - don't know what to say other than that. Oh - I just came to my senses the coffee's kicking in - and ask him to get to work on the new improved V Rod replacement whatever new name they want - lots of artsy modded V Rods out there to consider for inspiration, but my favorite model is the R replacement - he needs to tell engineering 1350cc, N/A & a supercharged model, light weight dual muffler exhaust, 6 gallon tank, 135 / 165+ rwhp, 6 speed slipper, Brembo & Ohlins, stock Q.D. saddlebags, 2 up seat, TFT screen, adjustable windshield, and he can handle the rest with all the greatest in styling on his end of it - So the visual design department tail wagging the dog in the engineering department - maybe that will snap H-D out of their funk into the future ? ! (y);)

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I just found H-D's new Improved R Model built just for me ! - So just take a KTM 1290 GT put some H-D handsomeness on it and then change the badging to H-D - it's even the right color, add the $ 6000 Harley tax for an MSRP of $ 28,000 and watch them sit on the showroom floor at the H-D dealers - while folks go to KTM and buy the 1290 GT to save the money. Clearly H-D should buy KTM so buyers don't have a choice. :LOL: This is the difference between the heavy expensive cruisers built by committee in Ivory towers (while most of H-D board members are not even actual motorcycle owners !) to a tight company built and ran by motorcycle enthusiasts for performance motorcycle buyers. How they can build & sell that lightweight N/A ! 174 Hp 1290cc engined 1290 GT with QD bags for $ 20,600 is beyond me. Correction - If H-D made it nice & handsome the H-D tax would be $ 16,000 more - for a total MSRP of $ 36,600 - even at that price it would be the top performance bike in their lineup and probably worth it in H-D value assessment. Hey where's the Pan America ? That's how the 1290 GT started out - (y) :censored:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Honestly...who wants to ride a motorcycle that can't reach Daytona without making 2, 3 or more stops...and worse...who wants to ride a motorcycle that's noiseless? with or without loud pipes we already have an ordeal making us visible to cagers, can you imagine yourself onto I95 rush hour with a bike that makes no noise at all?:unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
No I can't. I used to think the " Loud Pipes Saves Lives " proclamation was just a poor excuse for guys that loved loud motorcycles but having a smooth quiet Triumph Triple with dual Cone Engineering reverse megaphone quiet mufflers on it I notice a big safety difference when coming up behind cars in another lane - now they not only do not see me but I don't announce I'm coming like my pipes on the V Rod, they for sure know it's coming up behind them. The electric bike ? just a faint whine, so you're basically invisible It's Better around town than highway, but you could fit a loud stereo and have a V Rod sound track coming out of it but that would reduce your electric range. :LOL: You just have to be more careful on quiet bikes, and stay away from the blind spots of cars & trucks - yea, it's more dangerous to be quiet, I admit it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
As is it's not practical for most people. I couldn't get to work on a full charge. Let alone trying to get a full charge before I make my why home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A friend of mine that's a crazy geek was about to buy it, perhaps he'll buy at the end (Tesla/ hybrid things fanatic Jehovah Witness level) then we were trying to figure how to make it to Bike Week Daytona from Ft Lauderdale (230 miles or about 3:30 hours), got to tell you he should rather go in uber...even with the v rod I have to refill a couple times that will take about 5 minutes each, but electric bike...? no thanks but no ?

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
It's really a buzz around the city bike - with today's technology and until it's redesigned as a Hybrid you'll never be able to jump on it and ride more than the range of a V Rod without charging it. Maybe H-D will offer a Hybrid model but I kinda doubt it - battery technology will improve and range will go up but that will drive up the price as well - what, 35 K ? 40 K ? Unless it can be charged as quick as a V Rod gas stop I'm out as a buyer, I got no time to wait hours for it to recharge on a road trip so that ain't gonna happen. Now if I win the Lottery ? Yea, I buy one to buzz around town ( and park it alongside my six gas motorcycles ), I'll mount a double milk crate on the back for fast runs to the supermarket for supplies - and to the M/C shop for parts for the other gas bikes - Big Fun ! (y) :LOL:

41 - 50 of 50 Posts