Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
You guys are going to kack your pants if the fuel taps over in the desert get switched off.Notice every single country with a meaningfull supply is run by psycho's now.We are all one dopey tweet away from walking to the out of stock grocery store if we don't embrace ev's.
Decisions made it's gunna happen all aboard the Livewire train.:grouphug

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
On the Live Wire "Train to Nowhere"

Don't get me wrong I'm sure the Electric bikes will be loads of fun all around town but worthless for a longer trip. How the heck can you charge it - like last weekend when I stayed over night in Daytona ? Yea, it would just make it over there, then it would have to be charged over night - just drop an extension cord out the hotel window and plug her in. Right. That's gonna happen. 110 Volts at 80 feet = 24 Hours to 50 %, maybe - but someone will unplug it. Not enough to get home. Leave it plugged in all day, woops - can't, gotta check out SO - On the trailer it goes like Mike says. Really they will be relegated to an out and back within it's range till new charging stations are EVERYWHERE. So, where's my Hybrid e bike ? First guys with that will rule. Kinda funny Justin Hell's name is right below the Livewire. Just about right. So "Decisions made it's gonna happen - all aboard the Livewire train" ? You so Funny Tassie ! If it was a Train it would be a Diesel/Electric which is a HYBRID ! The Live Wire isn't a Hybrid, so I'm NOT on board, don't care who made the dumb A$$ decision to create a plug-in only 30K electric city only motorcycle. :blahblah: :D

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Man this is like herding cats:banghead: What you guys haven't mastered the art of phone charging yet.You know it's limitations and plan accordingly, don't see forums flooded with disgruntled users bitching about how hard it is plug in a cord apart from here.
Wireless charging technology is available when warranted and you'll be able to drive to wherever using a battery a tenth the size of current ones or most likely eliminate the battery altogether using some cunning adaptation of that brilliant Australian invention WI FI:notworth:
I can see the day where legal class actions against fossil burners will have individuals dragged before the courts to 'cough up' because of recalcitrant attitudes to the health of humans in general.No different to laying an assault charge.Probably be lined up in front of a firing squad consisting of the last of the outlaw gun owners to use up their damp powder in a final shoot em up of the good old days:guns

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Reality - the Dream Killer.

Tassie I can drive down the road in my car or on my motorcycle with my phone charging, I do it all the time - even when using it because that's the vehicle charging the phone. Last time I checked if it's not a Hybrid the vehicle must be STOPPED to charge it. Unless we bring back Tesla's idea of a worldwide atmospheric electrical grid no weenie Wi-Fi is going to keep a Billion + vehicles moving Trillions of tons of cargo and people charged across the world simultaneously. JUST FORGETABOUTIT.
You might recall the story about Outlaw fossil fuel burners in the Rush car song " Red Barchetta " that was pretty forward thinking but rest easy - petroleum and natural gas, maybe even coal are not going to be outlawed in our lifetime, and all will be required with nuclear plants (creating enough poison to kill every human on the planet) to charge all the rich guy electric vehicles in your dream world. The reason why this is like herding cats for you is simply because your dreaming is overwhelming your common sense. Dreams are great but you must deal with reality. Hybrids are the immediate future, with unlimited range using the existing gas station network - an all electric vehicle planet is a pipe dream under construction that still requires fossil fuels. Get over it. :blahblah: :D

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Dreams are great but you must deal with reality. :blahblah: :D
22 years till UK,France ban fossil cars.
California 2040 deadline also.
1 year for China manufacturers to meet green targets.
India electric cars only by 2030.
Volvo all electric in 2 years time.

You need to stop sniffing the fumes for a while dude.The planets moved on.They have all the technology now and then some.Governments with vested interests (read bribes) in coal/gas/fossil fuels are on the nose,science and facts are what wins in the end,last one in looses money.You know how it works,we all love reving the date out our noise makers but it aint sustainable.Advocating hybrids is the junkie exchanging heroin for crack.

·
My Last Ride
1,347 Posts
The Harley-Davidson Sparkster and the new series of motorcycle to be released in 2020 are going to take H-D down the tube. The MoCo is counting on the millennials to take interest in their new offerings and millennials don't buy big ticket items because it supports capitalism.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Smoke, No Promises, More Smoke.

Tassie that's all great and hey I almost applaud them but let me ask you two questions that you have up to this point absolutely refused to answer -

1) Are you, Tassie the Great, from the Land Down Under - going to shell out 30K + for the first iteration of H-D's big beautiful battery only Motorcycle ? With very few charging stations ? REALLY ?

2) How in the Hell are you going to charge 1 Billion + worldwide vehicles moving Trillions of tons of cargo & people without the advanced support structure in the electrical grid ? Even if you have the grid you have to generate the electrical power to feed it and all the hungry vehicles sucking power from it that currently get that power from yea, you guessed it PETROLEUM ! How are you, the all knowing Tassie the Great gonna change that ?

You are so Funny ! " The planets moved on " Yea, it sure has -without an electrical grid or the electrical generation capacity to provide the capability to recharge all the vehicles now run on petroleum with low efficiency electric. You my friend are the one inhaling fumes. Like Cannibus, burning, out of a large turbocharger.

The fact that that you will not tell all here you will buy a 30K + Livewire down under and find happiness and now that you don't have a plan for a worldwide electrical grid that will support your Utopian vision means basically you are as full of shit as a Christmas Goose. A Snake Oil salesman. Top that with you not seeing the value of a Hybrid bridge to the possible electric future and it just proves you REALLY don't know what the Hell you're talking about. All electric vehicles really do is take the pollution from the tailpipe and put it on the other side of the mountains surrounding the valley. Unless you cover the planet with solar panels that's never going to change. Wise up Man, you are single-handedly giving V Rodders a bad name, just stop. PLEASE. :blahblah::D

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
The Harley-Davidson Sparkster and the new series of motorcycle to be released in 2020 are going to take H-D down the tube. The MoCo is counting on the millennials to take interest in their new offerings and millennials don't buy big ticket items because it supports capitalism.
The old shitheaps have taken HD down the tube, this is HD clawing back up.Everyone not only millennials buy on value now not brand.HD haven't learnt that lesson yet, witness the pricing on the FXDR for confirmation.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Tassie that's all great and hey I almost applaud them but let me ask you two questions that you have up to this point absolutely refused to answer -

1) Are you, Tassie the Great, from the Land Down Under - going to shell out 30K + for the first iteration of H-D's big beautiful battery only Motorcycle ? With very few charging stations ? REALLY ?

2) How in the Hell are you going to charge 1 Billion + worldwide vehicles moving Trillions of tons of cargo & people without the advanced support structure in the electrical grid ? Even if you have the grid you have to generate the electrical power to feed it and all the hungry vehicles sucking power from it that currently get that power from yea, you guessed it PETROLEUM ! How are you, the all knowing Tassie the Great gonna change that ?

You are so Funny ! " The planets moved on " Yea, it sure has -without an electrical grid or the electrical generation capacity to provide the capability to recharge all the vehicles now run on petroleum with low efficiency electric. You my friend are the one inhaling fumes. Like Cannibus, burning, out of a large turbocharger.

The fact that that you will not tell all here you will buy a 30K + Livewire down under and find happiness and now that you don't have a plan for a worldwide electrical grid that will support your Utopian vision means basically you are as full of shit as a Christmas Goose. A Snake Oil salesman. Top that with you not seeing the value of a Hybrid bridge to the possible electric future and it just proves you REALLY don't know what the Hell you're talking about. All electric vehicles really do is take the pollution from the tailpipe and put it on the other side of the mountains surrounding the valley. Unless you cover the planet with solar panels that's never going to change. Wise up Man, you are single-handedly giving V Rodders a bad name, just stop. PLEASE. :blahblah::D
Didn't realize they had announced a price yet on a Revelation.If it does represent value for money and I purchase one I'll plug it into my mains outlet ride it till it gets low park it charge it up again repeat.
Pretty sure from day one HD and the rest of the manufacturers won't sell out of ev's. Like it's been for eternity when the old clunker starts costing more than it's worth to keep going Joe citizen will replace it with the latest thing that gets him further faster better than the one before.Your doomsday scenario of coal fired power stations blocking out the sun overnight (well overday) is Hollywood inspired lets stockpile food and drink urine sensationalism.

By the way HD gave the V Rod a bad name because it made their other poxy relics look bad back when they were having weirdo relationships with all sorts of anti Japanese motorcycle handlebar apes.Thankfully those days are slowly grinding to an end and good gentlemen of my ilk are a refreshing direction on the horizon of a grubby landscape most normal riders want out of.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
He had a machine gun blazing to clear the way

·
Registered
681 Posts
I did an Iron Butt Bun Burner Gold to Sturgis. 1570 miles in 23 hours and 53 minutes. Try that with the POS this thread is discussing.
I have done a couple of those rides myself I do not like to ride in the city I love going north west south west or just west nothing like a ride by your self and pull over in the middle of the desert and shutting your bike off and no one around and you can see for mile's you just do not get your bike in the sand I have had my vrod in most of the state;s except the north east may make some of those states now that my step son retired from the air force and moved to vermont . So that bike they are talking about would be worthless to people like you and me where we like to get on a bike and go . They say every thing is good for some thing we will have to wait and see what or who that thing is good for .

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
I have done a couple of those rides myself I do not like to ride in the city I love going north west south west or just west nothing like a ride by your self and pull over in the middle of the desert and shutting your bike off and no one around and you can see for mile's you just do not get your bike in the sand I have had my vrod in most of the state;s except the north east may make some of those states now that my step son retired from the air force and moved to vermont . So that bike they are talking about would be worthless to people like you and me where we like to get on a bike and go . They say every thing is good for some thing we will have to wait and see what or who that thing is good for .
Yep

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Battery bikes are for City Nerds. Sturgis ? H-D Hybrid.

Yea, Tassie there's plenty of folks getting tired of the old 987 Lb. 76 Hp. H-D Couch seat Battle wagon's. And Yea, Revo V Rods stirred up H-D kinda like the Trumpster in the D.C. swamp. They both needed it. So all now are looking for something fresh and new, with value as you say. I don't see the value in a battery only M/C good for maybe 30 miles out and 30 back before over night charge parking is required. To me the major attraction of electric is not the whole myth of going green (which is B/S unless its charged only by solar, even then it's kinda iffy) but the fact that electric provides a single gear high torque drive train that's a hoot to ride. So toss out half that battery, design a high rpm variable speed gas powered engine/generator combo and make it a Hybrid where the engine nulls out battery drain at 100 Mph, and cycles on & off rpm at lower speeds. All the electric torque fun with no range anxiety - recharges at a gas station, cause it never depletes the battery. Ride it across the country - no problem keeping up with Mike going the 1570 Miles to Sturgis (without a trailer) in 7 minutes less than 24 Hours. THIS is the bike H-D needs to be designing. If it's another 10 K bucks over the 30 K, guess what ? We will pay it. WHY ? Because it will have REAL VALUE, with no all electric downside. If H-D want's to hit it out of the park this is the bike they should build. I'm thinking the lineup is (from Lt to Rt.) Steve, Mike, Tassie, Biker Bob in Mikes cartoon but that could be inaccurate. Just glad we are all going over this subject with a beer, that's crucial to a well thought out future for H-D and us. :blahblah: :D

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Yea, Tassie there's plenty of folks getting tired of the old 987 Lb. 76 Hp. H-D Couch seat Battle wagon's. And Yea, Revo V Rods stirred up H-D kinda like the Trumpster in the D.C. swamp. They both needed it. So all now are looking for something fresh and new, with value as you say. I don't see the value in a battery only M/C good for maybe 30 miles out and 30 back before over night charge parking is required. To me the major attraction of electric is not the whole myth of going green (which is B/S unless its charged only by solar, even then it's kinda iffy) but the fact that electric provides a single gear high torque drive train that's a hoot to ride. So toss out half that battery, design a high rpm variable speed gas powered engine/generator combo and make it a Hybrid where the engine nulls out battery drain at 100 Mph, and cycles on & off rpm at lower speeds. All the electric torque fun with no range anxiety - recharges at a gas station, cause it never depletes the battery. Ride it across the country - no problem keeping up with Mike going the 1570 Miles to Sturgis (without a trailer) in 7 minutes less than 24 Hours. THIS is the bike H-D needs to be designing. If it's another 10 K bucks over the 30 K, guess what ? We will pay it. WHY ? Because it will have REAL VALUE, with no all electric downside. If H-D want's to hit it out of the park this is the bike they should build. I'm thinking the lineup is (from Lt to Rt.) Steve, Mike, Tassie, Biker Bob in Mikes cartoon but that could be inaccurate. Just glad we are all going over this subject with a beer, that's crucial to a well thought out future for H-D and us. :blahblah: :D
Meh this is a dumb idea, just have two bikes, elecy for whippin the ass off any of the old tech crap when necessary,fossil burner for your yearly cross country jaunt to grandma's place to get your card and twenty bucks.Bet I know which one would have the hours on it after a year.
Way it is at the moment the fuel savings will pay for the Livewire anyway if they cost $30k.Costs me $30 a tankfull.Thats 1,000 fills and its free so tank a week average I'll own it in 20 years assuming total loss.First model collectors item comes into play say 20 years be worth half what I paid so worth 15k.Term deposit adding my $30 a week saved @2.5% over 20 years compounded I'd have $22k roughly add the bike sale value of $15k totals $37k so end up making $7k over 20 years.If the bike were worth zilch at the end (unlikely) its only cost $8k.If I can sell it for $8k its free.
You can do the same sums with a set of solar panels and have leftover power to run your house.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
No Free Lunch.

First of all you have to pay for the charging station and the electricity, it's not free - second you won't stick to investing the money when there is food and beer to buy for you and your male/female entertainment. Third when enough folks buy electric cars, trucks and M/C's and the grid is bogging down trying to charge them all the gov't will allow the utilities to jack up your utility bill to pay for new electric power plants that will burn the petroleum that you don't put in your bike or car and a bigger grid to get it to your neighborhood out in the 'burbs. Add to that the loss in revenue from uncollected motor fuel tax's will simply be added to your yearly EV registration. Plus the new $ 2700 motor cost when the sprinkler shorted it out one morning and the $ 30 a month for your "forever battery " insurance policy to pay for the damaged battery that's bound to happen. Not trying to be Daniel Downer here but hey maybe the devils advocate. Solar panels are a good idea but remember you have to buy them up front, pay the loan on them & they become 5% less efficient every year so those must be replaced as well. I say buy an all electric Livewire, ride and enjoy, sell it before the warranty runs out, or the new improved battery version or the Gas Hybrid version comes out because that will relegate it to old battery toy status with the sun faded kiddie electric dump truck in the corner of the garage. :blahblah: :D

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
First of all you have to pay for the charging station and the electricity, it's not free - second you won't stick to investing the money when there is food and beer to buy for you and your male/female entertainment. Third when enough folks buy electric cars, trucks and M/C's and the grid is bogging down trying to charge them all the gov't will allow the utilities to jack up your utility bill to pay for new electric power plants that will burn the petroleum that you don't put in your bike or car and a bigger grid to get it to your neighborhood out in the 'burbs. Add to that the loss in revenue from uncollected motor fuel tax's will simply be added to your yearly EV registration. Plus the new $ 2700 motor cost when the sprinkler shorted it out one morning and the $ 30 a month for your "forever battery " insurance policy to pay for the damaged battery that's bound to happen. Not trying to be Daniel Downer here but hey maybe the devils advocate. Solar panels are a good idea but remember you have to buy them up front, pay the loan on them & they become 5% less efficient every year so those must be replaced as well. I say buy an all electric Livewire, ride and enjoy, sell it before the warranty runs out, or the new improved battery version or the Gas Hybrid version comes out because that will relegate it to old battery toy status with the sun faded kiddie electric dump truck in the corner of the garage. :blahblah: :D
If the whole deal were that's it no more advancements in technology no more scale of economy's, no more competition, governments continuing to pander to the fuel companys I would agree with you.That's not the case though is it, we are in the era of disruption, everything before is being altered propulsion is no different and you have the double whammy of climate change driving this one.Just:grouphug it and remember relax it won't hurt a bit.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts