Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
What -- Me worry?
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having installed a side mount plate with integrated tail/stop LEDs as well as a set of Heavy's LED turns front & rear (with the Tailbones thingy to convert the turns into tail/stops also), I had no need to run a tail light in my fender. Being a CVO bike, I was told I'd have to pay almost $900 for a rear fender as they only came painted. I thought I'd have to live with my empty taillight lens as I didn't want to spend that much on a fender just to be able to keep my original tins intact. I then stumbled upon the fact that H-D sells a primed and ready for paint rear 240 fender as part of the wide tire kit, and it had a seperate part number. Best of all, it was cheaper than the Hogpro part.

Anyway, I sent it off to Josh, who sent it to his welder to have the aluminum sealed up and bodywork applied. Once back from body, I sent him my stock rear fender to use as a color match model. The hard part is that H-D considers the CVO paint proprietary and will not sell the paint, nor divulge the makeup. Josh had to use his skills to match the CVO colors and shading. Also, the stripe that looks like silver is actually brushed down to bare aluminum and then cleared. He had to match that technique as well. Anyway, I wanted to fill up the space where the light was, so I came across this bitchin' image that I think fills the spot very nicely. Josh sent me these current pics for approval before the clear goes on (and the pinstriping is finished). I'll post final pics as soon as I have them...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
That is one unique look! Gotta post pics of the whole setup.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well hell, now you are going to make me spend more money. My wife hates this forum!!!!!!

I love that design. I can now just imagine a whole set of skins along that theme.

·
What -- Me worry?
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I was originally thinking of having him do the whole bike, but then I realized that if I did that, then a big part of what makes a CVO bike unique would be lost (although it would still be unique in it's own right anyway). I decided that if I was going to paint all the tins, I would have to buy new tins to paint since the bike would retain more value with the original CVO tins than even a custom paint job. Considering the cost of new CVO tins, I decided to stay with the original paint scheme and just add a little something special -- something to make it stand out just a little. I was initially worried whether Josh would be able to pull off the original scheme (afterall, it might actually be harder for a custom painter to do something so plain when he's used to doing wild customs) -- especially being able to perfectly match the shading and flake of the original paint, but he sure pulled it off... I'll add the final pic as soon as I get it from him, and I'll definately post pics of it installed when it's all done.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Nice :notworth: I like the way they rounded off where the tailight used to be so it looks like a stamped fender blank. I've seen the tailight deleted a few times, but they were always flat and you could tell something was missing.:barf:

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
That looks very nice... I was looking at doing something similar

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
looks awesome!

·
I'd rather be riding
218 Posts
That looks great. Make sure to post a photo of it on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Truly amazing. Love it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts