Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a seemingly stupid question. I am new to the HD world and have spent some Time lately on gocarts and buggies for my 3 boys. I have taught myself to weld and fabricate over the last few months out of necessity when beefing up a gokart and the latest buggy.

I found an XG750 complete engine and decided I wanted to ditch the chinese crap GY6 in this KD buggy and put this HD small boy in its place. I knew the fab would be a challenge but that was before I could weld and I might be up to the task soon... so I started looking for the necessary parts and pieces to make this work.

My only experience is with tecumseh, and other small (mostly chinese) engines, like GY6s and Duromax, etc... and getting the CDI happy enough to run it, then I would custom build all of the other wiring for a custom dash, lights, radios, fuse boxes, relay boxes, and I am able to get pretty complicated systems hand built and finish it all off with a nice completely removable and fixable modular hand made wiring harness.

So naturally I started with the basics. This motor came with the intakes, and clutch/tranny, and the radiator (ugh right?) and hoses and so I began with getting a wiring harness off ebay, which had the fuse boxes and relays, then a regulator rectifier, starter relay and hand controls (just to fill the gaps in the harness) and a fuel pump and sub wiring harness. I grabbed an electrical troubleshooting book from HD and I bought an ECM and coil with plug wires...

Waiting on a few more pieces to arrive but man this harness seems like it's missing A LOT. Now I havent yet pulled the motor back out and unwrapped it and I know a lot of plugs will go into its various parts... but I started noticing that there is NO ONE who has made any videos or blogs or photos about getting a harley to run independent of the entire bike. There are THOUSANDS of videos, parts, upgrades and blogs for all the chinese crap, but nothing for harleys...

This is a 2015 XG750 and I learned about the instrument cluster being the I/O for some operations to the ECM, but without a digital technician II you cant do much but read codes.

I dont have an instrument cluster because I have hand made all the goodies on this buggy so I am wondering if I will even be able to get it to fire without it? Can these engines run bare of all the harley security stuff and extra parts?

Am I going to be able to complete this or have I made an expensive idiotic mistake in thinking an HD motor would be cool in a buggy?

Any advice (or laughter) is welcomed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I'm an idiot and it is late and now I notice this is a VROD only forum and I'm asking about an XG750 engine swap. Sorry, but what's done is done and I understand if you delete this post and boot me and ban me but this question might go for any HD motor for a special project... so I'll head to bed now and hope for a tiny bit of compassion for the overworked dad who stopped riding when he had kids and yearns to be on two wheels again

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Ok, I'm an idiot and it is late and now I notice this is a VROD only forum and I'm asking about an XG750 engine swap. Sorry, but what's done is done and I understand if you delete this post and boot me and ban me but this question might go for any HD motor for a special project... so I'll head to bed now and hope for a tiny bit of compassion for the overworked dad who stopped riding when he had kids and yearns to be on two wheels again
If it helps the V Rod motor will run without the instrument cluster. I would imagine the XG would be the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts