Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

When I drive around 30-40mph at low rpm(2500-3.500) it feels like and sounds like my bike is misfiring every second or so, it’s a litle jerky and its not just the road surface, I can hear very slight `popping`, wery anoying...at higher rpm I do not experience misfiring. Any ideas what’s wrong or if it’s just the way it is?
I was thinking that I should change the spark plugs and check the breather hose, since I do not know how old the plugs are, and I understand that the breather hose is a common problem?

-08 Night Rod Special with Dynojet powercommander V, supertrapp slip-ons and hig-flow air filter(new) all fluids are fresh.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I do not know what map is on the power commander, so that may be the problem. Easy to tune myself or do i need a dyno?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Ok, I do not know what map is on the power commander, so that may be the problem. Easy to tune myself or do i need a dyno?
Think you need to start by extracting the map to a PC and see which map is installed. maybe better maps out there for your setup. Dyno is simpler as long as the guy that runs it knows what he is doing

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
What gear are you in when this is happening?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Loaded a new map, defently changed the way the engine runs, but did not change the jerking? 1-2-3 gear same thing at low rpm. I tried engaging the clutch whilst driving to see if it could be wheels/bearings but nope...defently engine/drivetrain related. Feels sometimes like the bike jumps forward on a beat and not nessesarly miss a beat...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Loaded a new map, defently changed the way the engine runs, but did not change the jerking? 1-2-3 gear same thing at low rpm. I tried engaging the clutch whilst driving to see if it could be wheels/bearings but nope...defently engine/drivetrain related. Feels sometimes like the bike jumps forward on a beat and not nessesarly miss a beat...
These motors have a significant tendency to misfire in this fashion in the 3,000-4,500 rpm range with almost any tune other than base stock. I spent a year learning and tuning my bike to eliminate it and still my bike does this a bit in that range. Doesn't do it at WOT, right?

Your description is right on target with this issue. Don't spend a lot of time looking elsewhere, it is the EFI.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
This is in an area of high reversion. The afr needs to be likely increased in this area on a canned map. Sometimes the opposite can happen in autotuners and this area can end up too rich. The jerk and miss are almost identical in nature be it lean or rich.
Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These motors have a significant tendency to misfire in this fashion in the 3,000-4,500 rpm range with almost any tune other than base stock. I spent a year learning and tuning my bike to eliminate it and still my bike does this a bit in that range. Doesn't do it at WOT, right?

Your description is right on target with this issue. Don't spend a lot of time looking elsewhere, it is the EFI.
Thank you, at WOT the engine runs perfect...I`ll guess I`we just have to live with it...

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Thank you, at WOT the engine runs perfect...I`ll guess I`we just have to live with it...
Maybe you can live with it but it doesn't have to be that way. I've tuned mine to run smooth in any rpm and gear as have many others here. That's total bs to have it any other way. Find someone who knows the Revolution's traits and knows how to tune. The ones that don't know how are the ones who say missing and jerking is normal and they don't like running under 4k. Trust me, even some pro tuners claim that due to ignorance.
Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I`ll check with my lokal HD dealer, I know they have a dyno and do a lot of Dynojet tuning. Good to know that it dosen`t have to be that way ��

·
VRSC est -03
3,095 Posts
Should run silky smooth througth the complete rpm register. Dyno time to Lazy Boyz, Oslo.

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
Mine's doing the same thing after having my plugs replaced amongst other things. I've owned 3 V-rods and never experienced this before so assumed it was plug related. Have other bikes to ride so haven't taken the time to investigate as of now. Following.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
I put a ThunderMax turner on my 2008. Cleared that stumble right up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts